New member build thread - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #1

New member build thread

Hi all. New member here, and mostly a lurker, but thought I'd start a thread and talk mustangs with yall!

So 1 month ago I got a 2012 Gt used. Traded in my 04 Mach 1 for it. Wow what an upgrade it is. I am beyond impressed. And it's my first manual, just so much fun to drive.

So on to mods! It came with a full exhaust. Bbk long tube headers and o/r x pipe, and frpp sport axle backs. I'll eventually go with something louder on idle but she screams when I get on her. Also came with raxiom taillights, GT/CS bumper, a short throw shifter (not sure which) and 19 inch rims from American muscle. Just from all these I am happy.

Now for stuff on the way, I ha e a tuner from Bama coming, should be here Tuesday. I have a steeda adjustable panhard here waiting, 1.5 inch SR lowering springs, gt500 strut mounts, frpp adjustable shocks/struts, and camber bolts.

Eventually I'd love to get some new control arms, sway bars potentially, a touch screen Nav unit with Sync integration, matte black super snake stripes, and carbon fiber interior.

Now for the hard part for me in regards to all these parts. I appreciate cars, what they do, and making them better. But I have never been into the maintenance part. I don't have tools or space (apartment living) or the experience/knowledge to install everything that isn't beyond less than common sense. So I think that sadly for these mods I'll most likely have to go pay people to install the parts, which sucks. Sadly no friends around here are mechanically inclined or knowledgeable so they are no help. But I won't let any of that stop me! This is gonna be an awesome and fun/exciting time for me! And if anyone knows a good place to go in the Tamap/St. Petersburg area let me know!

crbauhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Welcome, dude. Nice car.

A few years ago I was living in an apartment as well and had to do all my work on my old 96 in the parking lot. It sucked but its doable. And as far as those mods you have coming, they really aren't that difficult. Check out some youtube vids or hit up google for some write ups, the info is definitely out there. A good collection of tools will be cheaper than shop labor in the long run.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If it already has long tubes and an off-road X then it most likely "should" already have a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBETTY13 View Post
If it already has long tubes and an off-road X then it most likely "should" already have a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
It should, as you say. But the dealer said the guy "had" it tuned. I dunno if it still is. Thus I bought one just to be sure and to be able to alter my tunes in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Sure it was tuned for the long tubes but the guy didnt trade in his hand held tuner with the car. You want your own tuner. As Billgluckman said, you can do those mods in the driveway. If not, c'mon up to NY and I'll give you a hand don't forget an adjustable upper control arm if you're adding lowering springs. Nice car btw
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Congrats and welcome. Nice ride.

🇺🇸
D1STRRBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Sure it was tuned for the long tubes but the guy didnt trade in his hand held tuner with the car. You want your own tuner. As Billgluckman said, you can do those mods in the driveway. If not, c'mon up to NY and I'll give you a hand don't forget an adjustable upper control arm if you're adding lowering springs. Nice car btw
Ha if I had the time for a road trip, just cause it'd be fun, I'd take you up on that offer!

So do you think an uca is required right away? Or will the springs be OK without it for a month maybe. I do plan on getting them eventually though.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Welcome and great car! I just got done dropping my car this weekend, and I will tell you I have had the springs sitting for the last 2-3 months. Why? Because I started researching what happens once you drop your car, along with why our cars do certain things we don't like (like wheel hop, acceleration squat ect). So I started buying parts to address everything all at once. Killed me not to throw springs at it right off the bat but it was worth the wait and doing it right. At a minimum you should get struts and shocks, adjustable UCA, LCA, adjustable panhard bar along with your springs. I know that's not going to be easy to do without a garage but you will just need to find a friend with one

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Welcome and great car! I just got done dropping my car this weekend, and I will tell you I have had the springs sitting for the last 2-3 months. Why? Because I started researching what happens once you drop your car, along with why our cars do certain things we don't like (like wheel hop, acceleration squat ect). So I started buying parts to address everything all at once. Killed me not to throw springs at it right off the bat but it was worth the wait and doing it right. At a minimum you should get struts and shocks, adjustable UCA, LCA, adjustable panhard bar along with your springs. I know that's not going to be easy to do without a garage but you will just need to find a friend with one

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
I've actually got all of those except the control arms. So my stuff may sit a tad bit longer than I was hoping. This may end up being a full suspension all at once. We shall see.
Also I've been following your build and it is amazing. I'd love to have gotten white like yours. Your car is looking great!

Old 05-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbauhs View Post
I've actually got all of those except the control arms. So my stuff may sit a tad bit longer than I was hoping. This may end up being a full suspension all at once. We shall see.
Also I've been following your build and it is amazing. I'd love to have gotten white like yours. Your car is looking great!

That's good man. Like I said I know it sucks to wait but doing everything all at once is much easier and beneficial in my opinion. Plus, if your doing it "right" ford recommends you replace all hardware as they are one time use (lots of discussion on this but I will tell you the nuts for sure since they are nylon locking). So if you have to keep taking the same thing apart to add parts here and there you will either need to replace them everytime or take your chances (and I would guess the more you reuse the more likely you will get a failure or find them lose or clunking later).

Thanks for the compliments on my car. I am very lucky to have it. It's my first new car, and I had to call a million and a half places to find it in white. Almost went black (as it is sexy when clean) but I had a few black vehicles previously and keeping them clean is a full time job. Lol. If you were closer I'd say bring it by and we can take care of your suspension in my garage. But I'm sure you can make a car friend with one closer

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'd say throw on what you have and upper control arm. Lowers you can do later. Yeah you might have a bit of wheel hop, it's not the end of the world. Alignment must have been mentioned already.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
When you drop it get lca relocation brackets too.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Relo brackets seem to be a hit or miss item from what I've read. I snagged a set of the Eibach/Roush springs (1"F/1-1/2"R drop) and don't use relo brackets. No issues with wheel hop.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #14

Alright! Tuner is here. Tossing on a new tune. Let's see if anything changes.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
How do you like the x4 tuner? I want to pick one up here soon.

Mods 5% Tint All Around, 40% Tinted Windshield| Roush Axleback's| 4in Quad Exhaust| Eibach Sportlines| 20in Charcoal AMR's| BMR Panhard Bar| GT500 Diffuser| Bama Tune| X Pipe| GT500 Spoiler|BMR LCA's| JLT CAI|
50OHHHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright! Tuner is here. Tossing on a new tune. Let's see if anything changes.
Think you meant to say "let's see how I like the changes!" Lol, the tune makes the stock car much more...more.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Think you meant to say "let's see how I like the changes!" Lol, the tune makes the stock car much more...more.
I was just basing it off the assumption that the car may have a tune already. I didn't know since I've never actually driven another 5.0. And it turns out I was correct. They guy left the tune on. I loaded the race tune and while it pulls a bit harder in 3rd and 4th, my throttle and shifts are the same pretty much. Still glad to know what I have and it'll be good for future mods.

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50OHHHHH View Post
How do you like the x4 tuner? I want to pick one up here soon.
I like it. Stupid easy to use. Bright clear screen. No complaints.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #18

So the parts go in today. I'll get pics once I get home and open it all up. Just for fun I called a local shop and inquired about the cost to install the struts/shocks/springs, mounts and camber bolts. They said 260. Not bad at all! From everything I've read.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So the parts go in today. I'll get pics once I get home and open it all up. Just for fun I called a local shop and inquired about the cost to install the struts/shocks/springs, mounts and camber bolts. They said 260. Not bad at all! From everything I've read.

No, not bad.

Right, already had the tune
Old 05-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #20

So I went ahead and installed the shocks and springs and panhard. I have the Steeda bushing and mount on the way that I got from member here and I'm saving up now for the upper adjustable and the lower relocations. I know it's the not most correct way to proceed but patience has never been a virtue of mine. She looks so much better now! I need to go get under there and adjust the shocks, see what levels I can get them to.

Next steps after the control arms will be sways (maybe, still haven't decided. I don't want a super stiff suspension for my DD), a CS spoiler, matte black stripes, repainted bumper (mine came used and all scratched up), cf dash inlay, resonator deleted from my frpp sports, boss splitter most likely, and I think I'll be about done.

Any thoughts from yall on any additional directions I should be going? Would obviously love more power but I don't think the boss mani or the cobra jet would do well for me since I'm not a big racer. Just enjoy my very spirited driving every day!

Old 05-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #21

So I've been having some troubles with fifth gear as well as getting locked out of gears at high speeds. Or even at slower speeds sometimes. So since the car came with mods already, I don't know exactly what has been done. I saw a good deal of the steeda shifter bracket and bushings, so I jumped on it. It's here!

Gotta wait till next week for the I stall, but I am looking forward to trying this. And shoot, even if there is already some sort of mount and bushing there that isn't stock, I'll try this one just to see if it helps.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My advice about the steeda. while it is better than stock, the MGW race spec is by far the best short throw out there. all high rpm lockout will be eliminated. I'd return the steeda or sell it and get the MGW. just my .02.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #23

Well I'm not looking to get a new shorthrow. The car came with a Barton, which is fine for me. This is more so in case I don't have a Barton bushing and bracket on it. And if I do, I still might give the steeds a go and see if it improves anything.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I have the Mgw and really like it! I wish I had gone with a steeda bushing on the stock shifter just to see how much better it was. id be surprised if there's a Barton shifter on the car w/o the bushing/bracket, but hey, try it and see what it does for ya. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #25

Quote:
I have the Mgw and really like it! I wish I had gone with a steeda bushing on the stock shifter just to see how much better it was. id be surprised if there's a Barton shifter on the car w/o the bushing/bracket, but hey, try it and see what it does for ya. Good luck.
I would doubt it as well. I'm excited to get down there and look and experiment a bit.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would doubt it as well. I'm excited to get down there and look and experiment a bit.
Then you can offer advice based on experience
Old 06-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #27

So I got a set of Jack stands finally to use. Jacked up the car and it seems I do have the Barton 2 post shifter bracket. I decided to stick with that one after all. So I'm just out searching now for a good deal on the adjustable upper control arm as well as the lower relocation brackets. Once I get those, I'll be pretty content with where the car is. Then it's a lot of appearance parts and mods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I got a set of Jack stands finally to use. Jacked up the car and it seems I do have the Barton 2 post shifter bracket. I decided to stick with that one after all. So I'm just out searching now for a good deal on the adjustable upper control arm as well as the lower relocation brackets. Once I get those, I'll be pretty content with where the car is. Then it's a lot of appearance parts and mods.

I'd be really curious to know if the adj upper arm is all you need. Be a cool case study so to speak if you replaced the UCA first, then decided if you needed the relo brackets.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:

When you buy the UCA look into purchasing the BMR rear end carrier bushing. It's a real pain to get off because you need to put the BMR bushing inside the stock steel sleeve but it really firms up the rear end and if you still have the stock two piece driveshaft it will quite some of the clunking it makes. Just a thought since you are replacing most of the rear CA's.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
When you buy the UCA look into purchasing the BMR rear end carrier bushing. It's a real pain to get off because you need to put the BMR bushing inside the stock steel sleeve but it really firms up the rear end and if you still have the stock two piece driveshaft it will quite some of the clunking it makes. Just a thought since you are replacing most of the rear CA's.
I won't lie, I don't even know where that would be. Have any more details?

Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I won't lie, I don't even know where that would be. Have any more details?

If you look at the UCA, the front bushing (which is in the control arm itself) mounts to the body under the rear passenger seat. You almost always get this urethane bushing because it comes with the control arm. The other mounting point is on top of the rear end and there is a stock metal sleeve with rubber which is pressed into the rear end. This is the bushing I am referring to.
If you look at this drawing it shows all of the suspension pieces for the rear end. The bushing I am referring to is numbered 2, and the upper control arm is number 1.
REAR SUSPENSION for 2014 Ford Mustang
Old 06-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #32

Quote:
If you look at the UCA, the front bushing (which is in the control arm itself) mounts to the body under the rear passenger seat. You almost always get this urethane bushing because it comes with the control arm. The other mounting point is on top of the rear end and there is a stock metal sleeve with rubber which is pressed into the rear end. This is the bushing I am referring to.
If you look at this drawing it shows all of the suspension pieces for the rear end. The bushing I am referring to is numbered 2, and the upper control arm is number 1.
Huh. Interesting. I'll have to keep it in mind when I'm going about searching. I can see why you say it might be difficult to replace.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Huh. Interesting. I'll have to keep it in mind when I'm going about searching. I can see why you say it might be difficult to replace.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Maximum Performance makes a special tool for doing this in the car that makes it a lot easier and it's fairly cheap.
Also, buying a new one from Ford for $19 and cutting the rubber out in a vise is a lot easier than trying to do it in the car. Just use the tool to press it out, and press the new in..............difficult but easier than trying to do everything in the car.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #34

So one thing that has been on my mind lately is my exhaust setup. It's currently BBK long tubes, o/r x, and Ford racing sports. The issue I'm thinking of is that the gf and I are contemplating moving to cali in the semi near future. If so, I know the emissions there are much stricter than here in Florida. I really don't wanna have to go and get the long tubes removed just to pass emissions. I could go looking for a catted shorty h pipe and get the o2 sensors I stalled and relocated correctly. I believe that would work from what I've read. Any thoughts on that? Just trying to plan for the future if possible/needed while avoiding removing the long tubes.

Also does anyone have suggestions for a shorty h o/r I could go with over the x I have? Just prefer the h sound personally.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
So one thing that has been on my mind lately is my exhaust setup. It's currently BBK long tubes, o/r x, and Ford racing sports. The issue I'm thinking of is that the gf and I are contemplating moving to cali in the semi near future. If so, I know the emissions there are much stricter than here in Florida. I really don't wanna have to go and get the long tubes removed just to pass emissions. I could go looking for a catted shorty h pipe and get the o2 sensors I stalled and relocated correctly. I believe that would work from what I've read. Any thoughts on that? Just trying to plan for the future if possible/needed while avoiding removing the long tubes.

Also does anyone have suggestions for a shorty h o/r I could go with over the x I have? Just prefer the h sound personally.

I just moved from California to Oregon after being in California for 15+ years.
If the items you put on do not have a C.A.R.B sticker/certificate you can pretty much count on taking them off.
Some of things most smog stations are looking for is exhaust and intake changes.
With that said all they do on newer cars is plug into OBD port and run a diagnostics just like the dealer would.
One other thing is that if you have a tune the only pump gas available is 91............you can't get 93, although you can get 91 unleaded racing gas in some areas.
One last thought..................why would anyone in their right mind move to California other than the weather??????????? Where are you thinking about move to?
Depending on where you live, housing is astronomical, earthquakes, smog, non-friendly to hot rodder community..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT