Drivetrain noise help. Aluminum xriveshaft? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Drivetrain noise help. Aluminum xriveshaft?

I have a shaftmasters and am lowered on sportline springs. Get a whining noice whether in hear or not. Getting louder. Have tried couple things. Do have lca relocation brackets as well. Noise not engine related. At hwy speed sounds same ifclutch in and glide

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
From this it is clear that it it something turning while the wheels are, like the rear axle. A driveshaft change won't alter whining, that's a setup issue with rear gears. Steep gears are likely to whine more, you have 3.73s?

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have stock 2013 gears. 3:53 i think it is. Only reallystartedsince changed the shaft. Seems to be definitely coming from right around the rear axle though.

Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: New York
How low is your drop? Did you adjust the pinion angle after dropping and installing the DS?

🇺🇸
D1STRRBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The noise was already there but, it is possible the DS is amplifying it. Part of the reason for using a 2 piece shaft is resonance control.

Stock GT gears are 3:31 on an MT car, btw.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
I have a shaftmasters and am lowered on sportline springs. Get a whining noice whether in hear or not. Getting louder. Have tried couple things. Do have lca relocation brackets as well. Noise not engine related. At hwy speed sounds same ifclutch in and glide

I've got a 14 with Shaftmasters and Sportlines also.
Did you check the pinion angle and transmission angle before putting in the DS?
I've got a TrakPak car and when I lowered it noticed more whine than before, then I put LCA's on an noticed even more. After I installed the Whiteline transmission mount stiffener I noticed quite a lot of NVH above 2000rpm(I did not cut the stiffener or drill a hole in it which could have been the reason I gained quite a lot of NVH). I checked the pinion angle and trans angle before I put the DS in and it was off. Luckily I had put in an adjustable UCA and carrier bushing and had to adjust the pinion angle. My whine is now a lot less and I attribute less noise to a better pinion angle.
Sportline springs lower 2"+ in the rear which has changed the pinion angle, but because of the two piece driveline it's less noticeable than a 1 piece. At least on my car now that the pinion angle is about 0.5 degrees positive it has reduced the NVH and whine.
I have not put any relocation brackets on my car as I don't see the need.......yet.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

This is all good stuff. Hoping guy who does installs can get it in today and check out. Have him check alignment as well? For pinion angle right

Old 05-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
This is all good stuff. Hoping guy who does installs can get it in today and check out. Have him check alignment as well? For pinion angle right

As long as he follows the instructions that come with the DS you should be golden.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #9

Region: Georgia
I had the same noise that you are experiencing. My Ford dealership installed mine, checked my pinion angle, panhard rod, LCA, as well as installed my UCA. The noise went on for about 200-500 mi and then it has stopped. My guess would be break-in period ??? I currently have no issues with mine.
HulkSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It isnt shaft. As first guy suggested it is bearings / gears. He losened differential and the magnet has decent amount of shavings. Guess going to get 3:73 ahead of schedule

Old 05-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
You will notice more whine if you lose gear oil. If you happen to notice any seapage or drips, you will want to investigate that.
I think we tend to pay closer attention after a mod, at least I do so minor whine before might seem like a louder whine after the install. The carrier bearing on the stock 2 piece ds definitely helps quiet noise. I didn't notice much more nvh after installing my shaftmasters.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT