Drag racing suspension questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Drag racing suspension questions

So I really need some help with my suspension. Before I go to any new tires or power adder, I'd like to see what some suspension upgrades would get me. From what I've been reading, I need adjustable upper control arms, non-adjustable lowers. I don't want to lower my car at all, so would I still need relocation brackets? I've read they help with hooking, but can't tell if it's only needed with springs. Also, can anyone tell me the difference between these 2 LCA's?
TCA019 - Lower Control Arms, Boxed, Non-adj, Poly Bushings | 2005 - 2014 Mustang | Lower Control Arms | BMR Suspension - High Performance Suspension & Chassis

TCA032 - Lower Control Arms, Boxed, Non-adj, Poly Bushings | 2005 - 2014 Mustang | Lower Control Arms | BMR Suspension - High Performance Suspension & Chassis

For the casual drag racing, would the $89 LCA's work ok?

Thanks in advance. I've been trying to do some research, but can't find answers to these specific questions.
special5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Also, would this be a good start?

CAP002 - Rear Control Arm Package (Level 2) | 2005 - 2014 Mustang | Control Arm Packages | BMR Suspension - High Performance Suspension & Chassis
Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You didn't state if your car was an auto or manual nor what you've done to the car so far. You need to provide much more information.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Valid point.
It's an auto. Really just a tune on it now. It's a 2011 GT convertible. Stock tires and rims. What else would you need to know?
Old 05-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Because your car is an auto with a stock converter and near stock power levels I would not touch the suspension yet as it is not needed. Start with a good drag radial and if you can video tape your runs so we can see what it's doing. Then go from there.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, great, I do have some runs, but they were taken by my wife and therefore not very good. Let me see what I can post that would be most helpful (and least embarrassing!). My 60 foot times have all been 2.4 or slower. I mostly just spin even feathering the gas. I assumed I'd need some DR's, but a friend suggested that suspension may help before going that route. Let me see about getting a video up.
Thanks for taking the time to help.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

All the suspension in the world can't cover up for a lack of tire. Start there before you start spending money on things you may not need.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by special5.0 View Post
So I really need some help with my suspension. Before I go to any new tires or power adder, I'd like to see what some suspension upgrades would get me. From what I've been reading, I need adjustable upper control arms, non-adjustable lowers. I don't want to lower my car at all, so would I still need relocation brackets? I've read they help with hooking, but can't tell if it's only needed with springs. Also, can anyone tell me the difference between these 2 LCA's?
TCA019 - Lower Control Arms, Boxed, Non-adj, Poly Bushings | 2005 - 2014 Mustang | Lower Control Arms | BMR Suspension - High Performance Suspension & Chassis

TCA032 - Lower Control Arms, Boxed, Non-adj, Poly Bushings | 2005 - 2014 Mustang | Lower Control Arms | BMR Suspension - High Performance Suspension & Chassis

For the casual drag racing, would the $89 LCA's work ok?

Thanks in advance. I've been trying to do some research, but can't find answers to these specific questions.
For what's it worth, the more expensive version apparently is a stronger version.
"(TCA032) are manufactured from 1x2-inch steel tubing. This design gives you a strong, yet lightweight control arm, which is also an economical option for improved performance."
"(TCA019) are TIG-welded using heavy-duty 1x2-inch boxed steel tubing. This design gives you a strong control arm that greatly improves performance."
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
All the suspension in the world can't cover up for a lack of tire. Start there before you start spending money on things you may not need.
Yup

Just a pet peeve of mine, there are two lower control arms but only one upper control arm

Hmm, I'm no expert but the stock springs are "soft" and might work well for drag runs. I would think after tires, lower control arms would be next to try to control the axle twist. But, go tires first and see what happens.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #11

Region: Washington
You can get some major wheel hop on sticky summer only tires with good track prep. I would suggest for the relatively low cost, that some good aftermarket non-adjustable LCA's that are poly-bushed on both ends be in the mix with drag radials. The LCA relocation brackets change the rear geometry to give the car some extra anti-squat which gets the car moving forwards faster. This would be down the line with more power or if you get more serious than messing around at the track with your bros.
V6Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I found some DR's locally on Craigslist. Going to look into that first. The other things I noticed, 1. My tires have 46000 miles on them and are pretty worn anyhow. 2. My first time with this car at the track I ran 13.04 which I thought was respectable for a convertible auto on street tires and then 3. My last track visit (a different track) I could NOT avoid the water box ( the guy kept spraying the hose right in front of me) AND it was about 50 degrees. So maybe that helps explain my traction issues! Wet and cold street tires.
Definitely looking at tires first though.

Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I cant stress enough how nice it is to have some rubber beside the stock Pirelli's

Mods 5% Tint All Around, 40% Tinted Windshield| Roush Axleback's| 4in Quad Exhaust| Eibach Sportlines| 20in Charcoal AMR's| BMR Panhard Bar| GT500 Diffuser| Bama Tune| X Pipe| GT500 Spoiler|BMR LCA's| JLT CAI|
50OHHHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
46,000 miles on tires on a mustang!
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I thought I was doing good getting a pair to last 30k

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #16
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I managed to hook up on a 50 degree night and turned a 12.9, but next pass I got into wheel hop. That was last fall, I since got lower control arms and it didn't cure the wheel hop completely.
I since got drag radials and wheel hop is gone but times haven't improved.
Got to work on the driver!
Car is an auto.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT