Excessive driveline lash/ clunk - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Excessive driveline lash/ clunk

So I have had tons of trouble with this rearend whining and clunking and Ford telling me it is normal. I even put in a shaftmasters DS to get rid of the clunk from the carrier bearing, rear end still clunks a lot. I took a video of it. Not the greatest because I only had two hands , at the end of the video when the camera moves around is when I got a good grip on the pinion and you can see how much the pinion moves. There is also a ton of movement between the spiders and axles.

https://youtu.be/06NDWbCZIGQ

Watch and let me know what you think...

D
2014 GT 6MT base-crappy Bama tune, offroad X pipe, Corsa Extreme, Dynatech DS, Moser M9, 3.25s, Eibach Sportlines, UMI LCAs, BMR Relocation brackets, Whiteline UCA, SR panhard, Staggered 20" AMRs, Brembos, Power slots, Hawk ceramics.
Ihasfip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Possibly broken mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sunnycalibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnycalibear View Post
Possibly broken mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Broken mounts? Mounts for what?
2014 GT 6MT base-crappy Bama tune, offroad X pipe, Corsa Extreme, Dynatech DS, Moser M9, 3.25s, Eibach Sportlines, UMI LCAs, BMR Relocation brackets, Whiteline UCA, SR panhard, Staggered 20" AMRs, Brembos, Power slots, Hawk ceramics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
If you've been considering a gear swap, go ahead and do it and replace everything. I had the same problem with my 96. Went to 4.10s and replaced all gears to solve the problem.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post
If you've been considering a gear swap, go ahead and do it and replace everything. I had the same problem with my 96. Went to 4.10s and replaced all gears to solve the problem.
It would be nice to have 3.73s but I don't want to spend 800-1000$ for everything and I don't know if just gears is going to fix it. Its under warranty and has 10k miles. I shouldn't have to shell out a ground to fix their problem.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well when I say replace the gears I mean spider and side gears as well as ring and pinion. But no at 10k miles you shouldn't be rebuilding a rear end, especially out of your own pocket. May try a different dealer? I don't know much about dealing with a warranty.

Mine has 24k and I haven't noticed any slop yet. Pray I don't for a long long time.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well when I say replace the gears I mean spider and side gears as well as ring and pinion. But no at 10k miles you shouldn't be rebuilding a rear end, especially out of your own pocket. May try a different dealer? I don't know much about dealing with a warranty.

Mine has 24k and I haven't noticed any slop yet. Pray I don't for a long long time.
Yea that may be the next step. The shop foreman where I took it said he would work on it but was hesitant. Said that it might be worse than what it is now. I don't see how it could be...but hes mod friendly, another dealer might not be .
Old 05-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'd try another to dealer to see how they react to the mods. Sounds like that guy isn't comfortable setting up the gears.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I'd try another to dealer to see how they react to the mods. Sounds like that guy isn't comfortable setting up the gears.
He isn't even the guy to do it. He says hes seen lots of noisy rear ends in mustangs and most of the ones they've worked on, even ones they've swapped complete rear ends into make noise. So I don't know.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. Won't hurt to give it a shot though.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihasfip View Post
So I have had tons of trouble with this rearend whining and clunking and Ford telling me it is normal. I even put in a shaftmasters DS to get rid of the clunk from the carrier bearing, rear end still clunks a lot. I took a video of it. Not the greatest because I only had two hands , at the end of the video when the camera moves around is when I got a good grip on the pinion and you can see how much the pinion moves. There is also a ton of movement between the spiders and axles.

https://youtu.be/06NDWbCZIGQ

Watch and let me know what you think...

D
It looks like the wear pattern on the ring/pinion is ok. It was hard to see any pattern on the spiders and the carrier didn't appear to be moving side to side.
When you are in 6th gear does the whine get worse when you accelerate or when you let off the throttle, or does it stay the same when you do either?
I've had my TrakPak 14 for over 9 months and when I got it the mileage was 2700, it's now 7300. When it was totally stock you could hear a faint whine, lowered it and you could hear more, put LCA's on, you could hear more, then the UCA and could hear more. It sounded like my old quick change in my Model A hot rod. When I put in the SM DL in and brought the pinion angle to 0.5 degrees positive and some of the whine was gone.
When I'm on the highway in 6th the whine is there if I'm on the throttle or if I coast.
I have to say that I had 3.73's in my 97 SVT Cobra and they whined also.
On the other hand..........with my GT500 twin tip mufflers I don't notice it as much and playing the stereo makes it less noticeable.
Until I see filings I'm not going to worry about it, and if and when it goes south I'll set it up a little tighter.
I understand your frustration and I believe it may be inherent with a lot of 8.8's from the factory.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
It looks like the wear pattern on the ring/pinion is ok. It was hard to see any pattern on the spiders and the carrier didn't appear to be moving side to side.
When you are in 6th gear does the whine get worse when you accelerate or when you let off the throttle, or does it stay the same when you do either?
I've had my TrakPak 14 for over 9 months and when I got it the mileage was 2700, it's now 7300. When it was totally stock you could hear a faint whine, lowered it and you could hear more, put LCA's on, you could hear more, then the UCA and could hear more. It sounded like my old quick change in my Model A hot rod. When I put in the SM DL in and brought the pinion angle to 0.5 degrees positive and some of the whine was gone.
When I'm on the highway in 6th the whine is there if I'm on the throttle or if I coast.
I have to say that I had 3.73's in my 97 SVT Cobra and they whined also.
On the other hand..........with my GT500 twin tip mufflers I don't notice it as much and playing the stereo makes it less noticeable.
Until I see filings I'm not going to worry about it, and if and when it goes south I'll set it up a little tighter.
I understand your frustration and I believe it may be inherent with a lot of 8.8's from the factory.
Mine whines if you are kinda floating the gears as in barely on the gas, it also does it when coasting. Doesn't matter what gear I am in, does it. And seems like after it warms up it does it even more. Mine has done it since brand new. May have gotten a little worse since the suspension parts, but they've been on and off so many times trying to narrow down the clunk, that the difference in noise with them on and off is negligible. Right now it has the stock LCAs and panhard on it. Need to out them back on but this POS SR panhard has a bunch of movement in it...need to return it and get something beefier.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Mine whines if you are kinda floating the gears as in barely on the gas, it also does it when coasting. Doesn't matter what gear I am in, does it. And seems like after it warms up it does it even more. Mine has done it since brand new. May have gotten a little worse since the suspension parts, but they've been on and off so many times trying to narrow down the clunk, that the difference in noise with them on and off is negligible. Right now it has the stock LCAs and panhard on it. Need to out them back on but this POS SR panhard has a bunch of movement in it...need to return it and get something beefier.
Not going into a lot of ifs, but, my first impression would have been u-joints. I've had 4:10 gears, upper & lower control arms, adjustable panhead bar, heavy duty sway bars, shocks, the whole laundry list of suspension mods done to my car. It is a manual shift 5-speed tranny. I have had it in for almost 4 years now and my car is not a daily driver anymore, and stored in the winter. But I have very little whine, and no clunking and we still have the two piece drive shaft. So, in retrospect, I would have to say I think that the ring and pinion are not set up right and the pinion angle is off. Just my opinion of course. I would definitely take it to another dealer even maybe 3 dealers and get their opinions. You can also take this before the Ford Motor Company repair and warranty board. They generally have a card to fill out at the parts or repair department counters.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
Not going into a lot of ifs, but, my first impression would have been u-joints. I've had 4:10 gears, upper & lower control arms, adjustable panhead bar, heavy duty sway bars, shocks, the whole laundry list of suspension mods done to my car. It is a manual shift 5-speed tranny. I have had it in for almost 4 years now and my car is not a daily driver anymore, and stored in the winter. But I have very little whine, and no clunking and we still have the two piece drive shaft. So, in retrospect, I would have to say I think that the ring and pinion are not set up right and the pinion angle is off. Just my opinion of course. I would definitely take it to another dealer even maybe 3 dealers and get their opinions. You can also take this before the Ford Motor Company repair and warranty board. They generally have a card to fill out at the parts or repair department counters.
Yea not the pinion angle, it is set correctly for a 1 piece driveshaft, using a magnetic angle finder and definitely not bad ujoints. Drive shaft has only been in it maybe 500 miles. What's weird is it seemed like when I first put in the driveshaft it was way quieter, with almost no clunking...but then it came back. Maybe it was just wishful thinking.

But yea I need to figure out something...before I leave the keys in it, parked in a bad neighborhood.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Yea not the pinion angle, it is set correctly for a 1 piece driveshaft, using a magnetic angle finder and definitely not bad ujoints. Drive shaft has only been in it maybe 500 miles. What's weird is it seemed like when I first put in the driveshaft it was way quieter, with almost no clunking...but then it came back. Maybe it was just wishful thinking.

But yea I need to figure out something...before I leave the keys in it, parked in a bad neighborhood.
My next educated guess would be that the ring and pinion was not set up properly in the factory or something in the internals of the rear end have gone bad. As we know crap happens, which sucks, but if you have that much play in the ring and pinion the dealer should be pulling the inspection cover off and looking closer at it. It could be just a shim is needed. But of course you can't tell until you look inside.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Drop the rear cover and measure the lash on the ring gear to pinion, Then check the spec to see if its excessive, or the pinion moves back and forward. then check lash specs. My 2011 GT whined and my 14 doesn't. Both with carbon fiber drive shafts. Go figure.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Mine has the same (sounds like it) movement and clunk as yours and has since new! Took it to dealer I purchased the car from, said it was normal but it's documented - for what it's worth. When I had the Roush SC put on at different dealer, said it was normal. Going to the 1 pc DS (shaftmasters) eliminated some (carrier bearing clunk) but the rear still does it. I overfilled the rear and it seemed to quiet it down. Now the excess has sprayed out the clunk is back.
I know the video is dark, I'm just working the DS back n forth by hand.
Attached Files
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yep, that's a fair bit of slop, that's for sure. I kinda drive around the noises my car makes. I have a little rattle from the trans if I light foot it and load it a little too much.

I see redline shockproof in there. You might try heavy duty shockproof and see if it tones it down. You'll likely need more fricmod for the diff for that stuff, though, took two bottles in my case to quiet the traklok with that heavy fluid in there. I'd start with one full one and see how you fare.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Yep, that's a fair bit of slop, that's for sure. I kinda drive around the noises my car makes. I have a little rattle from the trans if I light foot it and load it a little too much.

I see redline shockproof in there. You might try heavy duty shockproof and see if it tones it down. You'll likely need more fricmod for the diff for that stuff, though, took two bottles in my case to quiet the traklok with that heavy fluid in there. I'd start with one full one and see how you fare.
Ha that is the heavy shock proof oil. I could tell no difference. And I actually drained that crap out because I couldn't get the traklok to be quiet. I put an entire tube of TransX friction modifier, almost double the amount of the Ford stuff and couldn't get it to quit making noises on turns. So with the ford stuff in , its quiet on turns but clunks and howls.

I had my hopes up the Redline stuff would help...I couldn't tell a single difference with it in there.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah, I had the same experience with the traklok. I use only Ford's fricmod, ever. Still took twice as much. However, I have drag raced the car extensively, that's why it is in there. HD is really intended for a strip application, with a spooled rear.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Yeah, I had the same experience with the traklok. I use only Ford's fricmod, ever. Still took twice as much. However, I have drag raced the car extensively, that's why it is in there. HD is really intended for a strip application, with a spooled rear.
Yea , I would have used the ford stuff but I read the TransX stuff was superior to both GM and Fords additive, so I figured I would try that.

As soon as my wife is out of school for the summer (teacher) I am gonna take my car to a different dealer and have them work on it I guess. I'll put the stock mufflers back on so there will be no excuses of "it doesn't whine that bad" . Until then I guess I need to drive with the radio wayyyy up.

I'm just worried they're gonna blame the clunk noise on the aftermarket driveshaft or the suspension mods, when it clearly isn't.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So I seen this and it made me wonder.. driving my car in town for some reason when I give it gas..let off.. and then gas again the car makes this clunking noise as well and u can hear it echo off buildings.. normal to have or what

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
brett.fries23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

If it's that loud you have a issue.
What year, trans, mileage, what mods have you done to rear suspension??????
Old 05-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds like it's worn out and the car only has 11000 miles with a Cai/tuner. Car is stock

Old 05-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.fries23 View Post
So I seen this and it made me wonder.. driving my car in town for some reason when I give it gas..let off.. and then gas again the car makes this clunking noise as well and u can hear it echo off buildings.. normal to have or what

I wouldn't say mine echoes off building but it is loud enough that I took it to 2 different dealers. It really sounds like junk when it happens. For me, I can let off the gas, coast and then tap the gas and it does it fairly regularly. For the most part I can drive around it.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
It sounds like it's worn out and the car only has 11000 miles with a Cai/tuner. Car is stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
I wouldn't say mine echoes off building but it is loud enough that I took it to 2 different dealers. It really sounds like junk when it happens. For me, I can let off the gas, coast and then tap the gas and it does it fairly regularly. For the most part I can drive around it.

Just a question for both of you and although I know you considerable slop in your ring/pinion/spiders.........I took a friends 2012 TrakPak apart today to replace LCA's and UCA carrier bushing was torn which allowed the control arm to bang against the rear end. The banging happened during acceleration and when he let off the gas...........he is pretty aggressive with his car as he's gone through 1 set of rear tires in less than 7k miles. I don't know if this a normal problem but the bushing is just rubber and the same design as the stock LCA's. This bushing takes an enormous amount of twist during acceleration especially if you have a set of sticky tires...............for street driving it may be ok, for any type of abuse I don't think it will last long.
I number of months ago I ordered a GT500 UCA carrier bushing
which is supposed to be a much harder rubber and I just got it. Because I replaced my UCA with an adjustable I used the BMR carrier bushing. If anyone is interested in the GT500 carrier bushing I'd let it go for what I paid for it since I won't be using it.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

It's just loud enough where i can hear it noticeably inside the car.. and it's the exact same noise as in the video not saying it's the same thing.. on and of the gas makes it and even if I'm at 2500 rpm or higher and hit the clutch it shakes and makes the clunk

Old 05-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
It's just loud enough where i can hear it noticeably inside the car.. and it's the exact same noise as in the video not saying it's the same thing.. on and of the gas makes it and even if I'm at 2500 rpm or higher and hit the clutch it shakes and makes the clunk

Have you ever had it on a lift and looked at the UCA front bushing or carrier bushing?
Old 05-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

No I havent.. I brought it to ford and they said it was nothing so idk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT