Mystery whine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mystery whine

So I just put in my boss 302R lcas and a week after I noticed I get this random whine from my rear end only in 5th gear between 16-1900 Rpms. Other than that I hear it slightly in 4th. I had 3:55s installed but that was 21k ago. Does anyone have any ideas? I drive this car everyday so I don't want to make things worse and throw myself into a pit. Any advice would help thanks yall!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sunnycalibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 01:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Also get a vibration from the rear end after 100 mph. Doesn't matter if the car is in gear or not the vibration is still there. Only suspension mods are the lcas, panhard bar, and coil overs. The fronts lowered at 2.5" and the back is just about 1". Stock driveshaft
Old 05-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Just a couple of thoughts. Did you check the center to center distance on the old LCA's and new Boss 302 to make sure they were exactly the same.
With spherical rod ends you are going to transfer the slightest amount of NVH through the body/frame directly to the LCA's and directly to and from the rear end.
Have you checked the balance on you wheels or the run-out of the wheels and or axle.
When you say over 100mph, does the vibration continue or do you go through it at a higher speed.
Have you ever checked the pinion/trans/two piece drive shaft angles.
Just a note; spherical rod ends are great for race cars but for street cars they are just not practical..................IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Just a couple of thoughts. Did you check the center to center distance on the old LCA's and new Boss 302 to make sure they were exactly the same.
With spherical rod ends you are going to transfer the slightest amount of NVH through the body/frame directly to the LCA's and directly to and from the rear end.
Have you checked the balance on you wheels or the run-out of the wheels and or axle.
When you say over 100mph, does the vibration continue or do you go through it at a higher speed.
Have you ever checked the pinion/trans/two piece drive shaft angles.
Just a note; spherical rod ends are great for race cars but for street cars they are just not practical..................IMHO

Yeah the distance is the same I checked it after install. My wheels should be balanced they never gave me the issue before but I am putting on new wheels this week so that shouldn't be a factor. The vibration continues to get worse and worse the faster I go. How would I check the angles on the pinion/trans/driveshaft?
Old 05-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Give this a quick read.
Also, you should really have the car on a 4 post lift so that the chassis is fully loaded when you check the angles. You could do it by jacking the rear up as far as you can get it then put sometype of block under the rear wheels so that the chassis is loaded, this will be ok if you can't get to a 4 post lift.

Google-Ergebnis für http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj_files/image002.jpg
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for the article olerodder! I solved the issue. It was my boss lcas I had on. I guess because they are not adjustable and I am lowered it was knocking off the alignment of everything back there. They came out to be shorter than my stock arms.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT