Anyone have 2014 Track Key? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Anyone have 2014 Track Key?

Just wondering if anyone with a 2014 manual has the Ford Racing Track Key? I've found a lot of previous posts about people wanting to get it but none with reviews afterward about how much power difference you feel.
Seems like a decent power upgrade and retain factory warranty. And for around $400.
http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/trackey/
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015, 07:07 AM   #2

I have one, it is a much better tune, I don't think the 8 hp gain is the best part of it but the the throttle response is much better. Of course there is the launch control if you drag race your car and when the idle changes once you hit around 190 degrees is pretty cool. I don't think there is much you can buy for $400 to increase your "smiles per mile". I added the Corsa extreme axel backs (which completely changes the exhaust note, what a head turner). I also put ford 1" lowering springs, boss adjustable shocks, panhard Baraja well. My car completely changed and is freakin awesome with the track key.

I have a Track Pack car to begin with , but in much happier with this setup. Changing the shifter to MGW then I'm done for a while.

Tasca ford installed the Track key. I really like using them. No BS, done right the first time.

Hope this helps.

Pminri (iPhone)
pminri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Just wondering if anyone with a 2014 manual has the Ford Racing Track Key? I've found a lot of previous posts about people wanting to get it but none with reviews afterward about how much power difference you feel.
Seems like a decent power upgrade and retain factory warranty. And for around $400.
http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/trackey/

It does not retain factory warranty, FRPP replaces your warranty with theirs, which is not 5yr 60k powertrain but 3yr 36k. The trackey itself can be had for about ~325 if you shop around, but it's about another ~120 shop time at your local ford dealer to have it installed (non optional). So plan on spending at least 450 bucks.

All that said I have read at least 5 different reviews on here where people have installed it and love it. It's on my list.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Waste of money

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Anyone have 2014 Track Key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Waste of money

For you yes

For people like me who do not want to run nitrous and want a full on race car no.

If you plan to keep your cats, want something more than stock occasionally and some sort of warranty, it makes sense.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Don't know were you live but Ford Racing is installing them at Ford Nationals at Carlisle this year at a good price.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Where and when is that?

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Where and when is that?

IG @Oxford5pointoh

http://www.carlisleevents.com/carlis...ord-nationals/

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Too bad they aren't doing this at the AM show. Or maybe they will 😬

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
No not at AM show but Carlisle not that far away much more at Ford Nationals. I think install for key was like 299.00.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Cool, I think this is on my list now after new 19 or 20 inch wheels from AM with wider tires. I know it's probably not as big a jump in power as some tunes or nitrous but I need to keep mine as trouble free prone as possible because of my state inspection.
Also, love the 1" lowered look but that's out too because I drive it right through Winter here in Northern NH mountains. I wish it was put up for the Winter but I just can't swing a Winter beater (that also passes inspection).
Plenty of vehicles that would be fine for driving in Winter for $3k or so, but the trouble is, they're also very likely to get flagged at inspection time for expensive "safety" repairs.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I ordered mine today, going to be ~$700 for me to install altogether (I'm in Canada).

I'll do a quick review video.

Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

They have launch control? Can you set the rpm?

Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Waste of money

That's a tough review, if someone has it in their head that they must "retain warranty" and are worried about warranty denial it's probably a pretty good option, I've seen the tune and it has increased low rpm timing and a more agrressive throttle demand table which is a godsend on these cars stock. The manual guys seem to enjoy this tune and auto guys have mostly been disappointed.

Personally, if your car has 8-10K miles and you have not had an engine related problem you probably wont if you dont abuse the car. Ive learned to tune the Coyote myself via HpTuners and have seen several of the tunes available for stock/bolt on coyotes. My advice is to skip the procal/track key and get a sct x4 with a tune from steeda, jms, bbr, ... They are all very similar, there is only so much to be changed in the tune on a bolt on car. The steeda tune is a nice moderate tune, and they use the same tune in the Steeda branded models sold at dealerships so they have put a lot of testing time into reliability since those cars carry the factory warranty. BBR tunes are very fun out of the box as they are pretty aggressive with driver demand.
If you decide to go to a power adder application the added expense of a tune from someone like AED, BBR, Lund, etc. is well worth the money. For probably 95% of the coyotes out there you can get great tunes via data logging and email revisions. Power adder tunes may take 5 or 6 revisions, but once dialed in they are pretty spot on.
Nater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

^procal is WAY different than a trackey just FYI. And likely why as you put it "auto guys" are disappointed by it. I realize it's somewhat the same tune parameters, but you don't get launch control and many other things you get with the trackey (including the loppy idle).

Just thought I would clarify since we are talking about the trackey specifically.

Another draw for some like myself, is that this tune is only unlocked when you want it with that key. I drive my coyote about 800 miles a week. I don't always want tuned race car. Maybe on a nice day, or a weekend at a show, car meet or the rare occasion I do take my car to the track. That's a huge plus. No fussing with the handheld tuner and worrying your computer might take a giant dump as some have had happen when you want to Change a tune or go back to stock. Plus this is the only ghost cam tune out there that's drivable from everything I've read.

It's not always about max power you can squeeze out of something. My

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
^procal is WAY different than a trackey just FYI. And likely why as you put it "auto guys" are disappointed by it. I realize it's somewhat the same tune parameters, but you don't get launch control and many other things you get with the trackey (including the loppy idle).

Just thought I would clarify since we are talking about the trackey specifically.

Another draw for some like myself, is that this tune is only unlocked when you want it with that key. I drive my coyote about 800 miles a week. I don't always want tuned race car. Maybe on a nice day, or a weekend at a show, car meet or the rare occasion I do take my car to the track. That's a huge plus. No fussing with the handheld tuner and worrying your computer might take a giant dump as some have had happen when you want to Change a tune or go back to stock. Plus this is the only ghost cam tune out there that's drivable from everything I've read.

It's not always about max power you can squeeze out of something. My

IG @Oxford5pointoh
You make a good case for the Track Key, although I think the auto guys are disappointed because the track key has no benefits for the lazy stock program in the 6R80. But really why would you choose to run the car with the stock tune? Trust me, neither the track key or any of the bolt-on tunes drive like a "race tune"(not sure what that means btw). The tunes make the car more responsive but easily manageable and usually just as, if not more efficient. In daily driving I really dont care that much about max power and on a stock car no tune adds that much power anyway. The stock tune sucks until you really lay into it, a good modified tune (including track key) feels much better at all light throttle inputs - the ones we use when daily driving.
Nater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
I have the Trackey tune. Got it for a good price from White Bear Lake AutoNation. Installed by my local dealer. At the same time I also had the Boss exhaust and QTP cutouts installed.

For someone who has no plans to race the car, and did not want a supercharged car, this was a great fit for me. I love the change. The car feels more responsive. Definately wakes up the car. I do like having the option to return to the factory tune. Wife is not a fan and it makes it easy for me to switch back when she is in the car.

I kind of see it as a Jekyll and Hide feature. I can have the tame tune or the wild one. Great fit with the Boss side pipes. Adds lots of crackle and pop. I do have the Roush exhaust which sounds good even with the tame tune. But the wild one sounds even better. If you do not plan on adding mods to your car that require tunes then this is a great tune to have. If you want to build a race car it is not for you.

Edit: Oh and one of the best parts is the lopey idle. It is amazing. Slightly shakes the car. Noticable difference at the stop light. Love that feature all by its self. It is fun to sit at a stop light and have those around you do a double take checking out the car.

For me it was money well spent. Would do it again. No regrets!
Second Mustang with a 34 yr gap.
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

How are they doing there loop idle? Don't most companies say no if you have cats?

Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:09 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvibe92 View Post
How are they doing there loop idle? Don't most companies say no if you have cats?

Is proprietary to ford.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater View Post
That's a tough review, if someone has it in their head that they must "retain warranty" and are worried about warranty denial it's probably a pretty good option, I've seen the tune and it has increased low rpm timing and a more agrressive throttle demand table which is a godsend on these cars stock. The manual guys seem to enjoy this tune and auto guys have mostly been disappointed.

Personally, if your car has 8-10K miles and you have not had an engine related problem you probably wont if you dont abuse the car. Ive learned to tune the Coyote myself via HpTuners and have seen several of the tunes available for stock/bolt on coyotes. My advice is to skip the procal/track key and get a sct x4 with a tune from steeda, jms, bbr, ... They are all very similar, there is only so much to be changed in the tune on a bolt on car. The steeda tune is a nice moderate tune, and they use the same tune in the Steeda branded models sold at dealerships so they have put a lot of testing time into reliability since those cars carry the factory warranty. BBR tunes are very fun out of the box as they are pretty aggressive with driver demand.
If you decide to go to a power adder application the added expense of a tune from someone like AED, BBR, Lund, etc. is well worth the money. For probably 95% of the coyotes out there you can get great tunes via data logging and email revisions. Power adder tunes may take 5 or 6 revisions, but once dialed in they are pretty spot on.
Automatic's cannot get this tune. It is specifically for the 13-14 Manual.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pminri View Post
I have one, it is a much better tune, I don't think the 8 hp gain is the best part of it but the the throttle response is much better. Of course there is the launch control if you drag race your car and when the idle changes once you hit around 190 degrees is pretty cool. I don't think there is much you can buy for $400 to increase your "smiles per mile". I added the Corsa extreme axel backs (which completely changes the exhaust note, what a head turner). I also put ford 1" lowering springs, boss adjustable shocks, panhard Baraja well. My car completely changed and is freakin awesome with the track key.

I have a Track Pack car to begin with , but in much happier with this setup. Changing the shifter to MGW then I'm done for a while.

Tasca ford installed the Track key. I really like using them. No BS, done right the first time.

Hope this helps.

Pminri (iPhone)

I had my mgw shifter and other things done at the Tasca Mod shop. Very happy with their work and if anybody needs mods done in the RI area they come highly recommended. It was worth the hour drive for me.

Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich7072 View Post
I had my mgw shifter and other things done at the Tasca Mod shop. Very happy with their work and if anybody needs mods done in the RI area they come highly recommended. It was worth the hour drive for me.

Agreed!!!

Pminri (iPhone)
pminri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:31 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Mine came in, getting installed Friday. Will let you guys know.

Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:52 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb View Post
Mine came in, getting installed Friday. Will let you guys know.

Great news! Is it Track key or track cal? It looks like I have to go with track cal version, my 14 was built too early.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

All 14 GT manual trans cars qualify for the trackey waylap1. Some late production 13's do as well (built after June or July I forget now). You should be good to go on your 14

IG @Oxford5pointoh

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT