Coyote oil filter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Coyote oil filter

First let me say, I've always been an advocate of using the specified FL500s filter due to some dealerships attempts to deny engine related warranty claims due to an aftermarket filter. Plus, the Motorcraft filter is good quality anyway, However...
Every single time I do my own oil change, on ramps and I struggle to remove the old filter, it never fails that it's a pain in the arse. Motorcraft uses this non standard notch shapes on the filter end and not one of the 5 filter wrenches I own fit it. The strap style is useless in tight spaces and I prefer the cup style wrench anyway.
Which after market filter and part number other than Motorcraft are you using? Does the Ford Racing one still have those non standard notches? I know Fram is garbage so I won't use that.
Just tired of the filter removal hassle with Motorcraft and don't care about dealership hassle anymore if something did happen.
You know what I'm talking about? It has about 20 very small notches as compared to most filters have few with larger notches and the cup wrenches fit secure.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Coyote oil filter

Spray brake cleaner on the filter. It loosens the paint on the filter allowing for better grip. I do it all the time at my shop. It won't harm anything, just spray some on. Then, most of the time, you can take it off by hand without any tools, maybe use a rag.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
It shouldn't be hard to remove period. Your putting it on too tight. I have yet to need a tool to remove mine the 2 times I've done it. First oil change had the factory installed motorcraft and I use amsoil and filter, second time came off no prob. Snug, then give it another half or quarter turn.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Spray brake cleaner on the filter. It loosens the paint on the filter allowing for better grip. I do it all the time at my shop. It won't harm anything, just spray some on. Then, most of the time, you can take it off by hand without any tools, maybe use a rag.

Adventure till you drop

Not sure if I would do that on the coyotes as the electronic steering module is right below the oil filter and brake fluid would or could cause issues if it gets to the electronics. Just my .02

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
It shouldn't be hard to remove period. Your putting it on too tight. I have yet to need a tool to remove mine the 2 times I've done it. First oil change had the factory installed motorcraft and I use amsoil and filter, second time came off no prob. Snug, then give it another half or quarter turn.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
For sure? I've always worried about it leaking so I probably do put it on too tight. I don't use a wrench to put it on but I definitely crank it on pretty snug by hand. I used a pliers style wrench this last time to get it off but the angle and tight space gave me a little hassle.
Just another half turn past snug and won't leak?
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Coyote oil filter

I worked at an oil change place for a few years back in the day. They don't have to be as tight as you can get them. I always pre fill my oil filter to avoid a dry start, I also lube up my oil filter "O" ring with fresh oil. Helps get a good seal and I believe make it easier to remove when the time comes. Once you get it snugged up and give it that nice little half turn boost, if you finish the oil change and start the car and find no leaks, your in the clear. It's not going to come off. It's tight enough. Most common problem people have with a filter is a double gasket (old "o" ring gets stuck on the motor and person changing the oil doesn't realize this and installs new filter over the old "o"ring). Other problem people have is putting the wrong filer all together. If you manage not to mess those 2 things up and you have no leaks. Your good.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Spray it on a rag and apply...
Problem solved...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Cut a long enough piece of sand paper and wrap it around it and turn. Adds a lot of grip

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I went with the larger WIX on my 2014 GT. Bigger in diameter, also alittle easier to get off.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I've changed the oil and filter on my 14 GT twice now and have not had any issues getting off the filter and that includes the factory filter. I don't remember what I used the first time but I'm sure it was one of my channel lock filter pliers. I recently bought the small size No 209 channel lock filter pliers which don't have very long handles and works very well in tighter areas and I believe I used these the last time.

Wayne

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT