Steering noise after spring install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Steering noise after spring install

Purchased Eibach sportline lowering springs for my '14 gt along with camber bolts and a panhard bar. Had it installed today by local performance shop. Looks great, but now when I'm sitting parked, and turn my wheel, the car is making a rubbing sound. Of course, I figured the tired were rubbing due to the lowering, but it's not. Outside the vehicle it makes ZERO noise. Inside the car, you can hear it loudly when turning the wheel. Sounds like a rubbing or issue with the steering.

Bringing it back tomorrow to have them fix it, but was curious if anyone else ran into this when lowering their cars.
christianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 05:31 AM   #2

Region: Texas
I have the same issue with mine. i have the SR lowering springs on mine. I have no idea what it could be. sometimes i hear it and sometimes it goes away on its own. im taking mine into the dealer since its still under warranty and have them take a look at when i get back home. If you happen to find out the issue before I do let me know other wise. i will keep you in the loop of what happens. Cuz that sound is terrible and i hate it
JP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good man. Hopefully I'll know later today.
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Is this a rubbing noise or more like a low frequency poping/clicking/clunking/creaking noise. It can't be heard from outside of the car usually, but certainly can from inside especially turning, going up and down driveways/speedbumps/pot holes.

Just as a side note, if you have installed the caster/camber bolt it is really not needed. I've lowered 6 2011/15 Mustangs and have never needed them. I lowered my 14GT TrakPak Mustang with Sportlines and adjustable pan hard bar (the pan hard is needed when you lower your car) and when I took it to my Ford dealer for a line-up check it was still within Ford Specs...........as have all of the other Mustangs I've helped lower. The bolt you had put in is potentially weaker than the standard bolt because it is smaller........and you don't need it anyway.
The noise I have is that I didn't change struts or strut mounts and the strut mounts on the 13/14 Mustang are single use pieces. Usually when you take them off they come apart and the ball bearings usually fall out.
I understand a lot of people can't afford to replace the struts/strut mounts and the issue is that the stock struts were never meant to be in a lowered car. The strongest Ford strut mount is the Shelby GT500, and that will require putting an earlier strut in.......pre 2010. The reason is that the GT500 strut mount is thicker and will not work with the 2010/14 struts.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-...ps.html...here is a set of steering rack stops that may help you out. They are helpful on really low cars or if your running bigger rims.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, so after some research of my own, my own diagnosis matches up with the mechanic's. Basically it's the strut mounts. If you don't upgrade to the gt500/stronger mounts, you get the noise.
It's not harmful to the car, rather just an annoying sound. Seems like putting in the new mounts will take care of it.

**** never ends once you leave stock
Old 05-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianh View Post
Ok, so after some research of my own, my own diagnosis matches up with the mechanic's. Basically it's the strut mounts. If you don't upgrade to the gt500/stronger mounts, you get the noise.
It's not harmful to the car, rather just an annoying sound. Seems like putting in the new mounts will take care of it.

**** never ends once you leave stock
Just so you understand that the Shelby GT500 strut mounts will not fit your stock struts and shocks. The mounts are taller and will not allow your strut rod to come through the GT500 mounts.
You will need to purchase 2005 to 2009 aftermarket struts or FFRP struts for the GT500 mounts to work on your 14 Mustang.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, after I went looking at what I needed I realized I screwed that up. Thanks for the explanation. Noise has stopped again, hoping it doesn't start back up
Old 05-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I am lowered on eibach sportlines and have been for 30k with no noise and stock strut mounts. I recently changed to koni yellows and still running stock strut mounts with no problems. maybe I got lucky

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhillgt View Post
I am lowered on eibach sportlines and have been for 30k with no noise and stock strut mounts. I recently changed to koni yellows and still running stock strut mounts with no problems. maybe I got lucky
well GOOD FOR YOU lol. Actually didn't have a single noise all day today, so maybe they're settling?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:28 AM   #11

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianh View Post
Thanks, after I went looking at what I needed I realized I screwed that up. Thanks for the explanation. Noise has stopped again, hoping it doesn't start back up
So what did you find out was wrong and causing the noise? Did you change anything that you currently had on the car?
JP15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT