how to tell if a sct tuner is unlocked? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
how to tell if a sct tuner is unlocked?

I just had my car worked on by a shop that had to sell me a sctx4 tuner to fix it, the car is still on stock tune, I didn't want to purchase the tuner, was planning on buying from a place that gave you free tunes for life, American muscle, steeda, etc. Can I still purchase the tunes for life from them and use the tuner?
rwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Your tuner (x4) can be used to upload any tune from any place. I believe places like Bama and Steeda do sell tune packages for those who already have a hand held unit. It just costs more than if you bought the package from them.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

ok, apparently if the unit is married, which mine is, I'm ok as long as I only use it to tune my car. I guess I would only have issues if I tried to use it on another vehicle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
ok, apparently if the unit is married, which mine is, I'm ok as long as I only use it to tune my car. I guess I would only have issues if I tried to use it on another vehicle
Is it married to your car? Or did they sell you one that was married to a different car?

If it is married to your car, you can still use it on another vehicle. You'd have to return your current vehicle back to the stock tune with the tuner (this unmarries it), then purchase a separate tune for the other vehicle (because tunes are vehicle specific), load it to the device and tune the other vehicle.

Basically, you can use tuners on multiple vehicles. You just can't use them on multiple vehicles at the same time. Also, you need to purchase a tune for each vehicle.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Is it married to your car? Or did they sell you one that was married to a different car?

If it is married to your car, you can still use it on another vehicle. You'd have to return your current vehicle back to the stock tune with the tuner (this unmarries it), then purchase a separate tune for the other vehicle (because tunes are vehicle specific), load it to the device and tune the other vehicle.

Basically, you can use tuners on multiple vehicles. You just can't use them on multiple vehicles at the same time. Also, you need to purchase a tune for each vehicle.

Good question, how do i tell if its married to my car?
Old 05-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Now that you own the X-CAL, get a dyno tune from a Mustang shop for $100.00. Walk away with a 93 tune, 91 tune, & a 87 octane tune.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
If you are on the stock tune it is married to another car... How much did you pay for this tuner?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
If you are on the stock tune it is married to another car... How much did you pay for this tuner?
They charged me 400, but i assume for them to have used it on my car it has to be married to my car ?
Old 05-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
They charged me 400, but i assume for them to have used it on my car it has to be married to my car ?
So they did use it on your car? Then it should be married to your car. 400 is kind of pricey but oh well
Old 05-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So they did use it on your car? Then it should be married to your car. 400 is kind of pricey but oh well
They said they did, i didnt know if there was a way to check if its married to my car. I am planning on buying a tune from bama or steeda, just wanted to make sure it would work
Old 05-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You had to buy a tuner to fix your car. Hummm. "Is that a fish I smell? I am not there but it smells fishy."

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
They said they did, i didnt know if there was a way to check if its married to my car. I am planning on buying a tune from bama or steeda, just wanted to make sure it would work
Just plug it into your car and see what happens
Old 05-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just plug it into your car and see what happens
I did and scrolled through the menu, it says married, i didnt want to mess anything up so i didnt mess with it too much . Although i wish they would have checked with me before buying the tuner, i do think its legit. Im going to clarify some of these questions mon
Old 05-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I did and scrolled through the menu, it says married, i didnt want to mess anything up so i didnt mess with it too much . Although i wish they would have checked with me before buying the tuner, i do think its legit. Im going to clarify some of these questions mon
400 will get you a tuner with life time tunes. Also I don't see why you would need it to fix your car
Old 05-31-2015, 03:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
400 will get you a tuner with life time tunes. Also I don't see why you would need it to fix your car
I know, they want 300 more to dyno tune it, so i would have preferred to buy the tuner with free tunes , but i didnt know they did it until i picked it up. But its done now, so i just have to decide on where to buy the tune from, bama, steeda. Or lund.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I know, they want 300 more to dyno tune it, so i would have preferred to buy the tuner with free tunes , but i didnt know they did it until i picked it up. But its done now, so i just have to decide on where to buy the tune from, bama, steeda. Or lund.
What do you have done to your car?
Old 05-31-2015, 03:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What do you have done to your car?
Stock powertrain, just suspension and brake mods so far . My plan is tune, and then off road x pipe. Those seem to be the only bolt ons that provide decent gains for the money
Old 05-31-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

A dyno tune would be a giant waste in my opinion. If I could I would try to return the tuner and buy one for the same price with tunes on it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT