Brembo GT new brakes? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Brembo GT new brakes?

I have a 13 Brembo GT with 39k miles. I'm not too worried about the life of my pads at the moment they seem to be doing fine. But when changing them I'm wondering which route I should go. I feel like if I take it to Ford they'll just have me going in circles for over an hour because the moron service guy probably will be confused that there is Brembos on the car instead of regular brakes. Then they'll probably tell me it's gonna take like a week for them to get them in. Lol

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Im going to have a hard time recommending pads without knowing what tires, driving style, conditions, type of track driving or racing, mileage you expect, tolerance to noise and dust ... Going to need a lot more information than "My car has Brembos."
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Im going to have a hard time recommending pads without knowing what tires, driving style, conditions, type of track driving or racing, mileage you expect, tolerance to noise and dust ... Going to need a lot more information than "My car has Brembos."

I'm not concerned about what kind of pads. I'm simply worried about replacing them in general because ford has no clue what they are doing. I like my stock pads they do fine for me. Daily driver w/ occasional spirited driving

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Then i fail to see the question here? Just replace them. Replacing pads in a fixed caliper is literally one of the easiest things to do, its not any more involving than just removing the wheel.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I think any Ford service dept or good independent shop that can do competent brake work can handle the Brembo option. I've heard the pads are actually American sourced with a Ford P/N but might not be in stock at your local dealer.

Be sure to check how much pad you have and don't let it get too thin. These pads can last a very long or very short time depending on driving habits
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Brembos are a pretty common option, I'd bet most large Ford dealerships will have a set of pads in stock. The rotors maybe, but prob. not.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Just a comment here. Never replace pads without having the rotors turned. It does no good to put new pads on a worn rotor.
Kind of like putting new solid lifters on a worn camshaft...you could and probably will have issues.
You can take your rotors off...........just a little more work than taking the calipers off, but can be done with minimal tools and some time and will usually cost $20 per rotor to have them turned flat again. The pads you have if they are stock Brembo's on your 13 are a ceramic pad. If you need the part number let me know.
One of the best places to buy them is here;
FRONT PADS for 2013 Ford Mustang|CR3Z-2001-B, they have really good prices and one of the largest FRPP dealers in the country. I have bought parts from them in the past.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
I have a 13 Brembo GT with 39k miles. I'm not too worried about the life of my pads at the moment they seem to be doing fine. But when changing them I'm wondering which route I should go. I feel like if I take it to Ford they'll just have me going in circles for over an hour because the moron service guy probably will be confused that there is Brembos on the car instead of regular brakes. Then they'll probably tell me it's gonna take like a week for them to get them in. Lol

Have you already met the service guy that you are calling a moron?
If you are concerned with waiting for the brake pads, why not just ask them before going in?
I have the impression that professional brake replacement will typically include turning down the rotors. Not sure about that however, because I have been doing my own brakes for over 50 years now. And they do seem to be getting easier as time goes on.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Should be no problem for any dealer or shop, brembo mustangs are pretty common. However, if you can do the job yourself, you will save a lot of money, brake jobs are one of the most lucrative jobs for a shop, lots of labor and little parts cost. I had a shop quote me $400 for changing pads, I did it myself with upgraded hawk pads for $75
rwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Brembo GT new brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Have you already met the service guy that you are calling a moron?

If you are concerned with waiting for the brake pads, why not just ask them before going in?

I have the impression that professional brake replacement will typically include turning down the rotors. Not sure about that however, because I have been doing my own brakes for over 50 years now. And they do seem to be getting easier as time goes on.

Alright well you can tell me what you want about service but the dealer had me on hold multiple times while trying to get ahold of the OEM boss 302/GtCs rear diffuser and they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. I even had the part number as well. It took me 3 phone calls talking to 3 different people and they transferred me to ford racing at one point. So my faith in dealership guys aren't strong right now and wouldn't be surprised if they shrug when I asked them about Brembo brakes. I don't change my brakes myself I'm not interested in doing it never have never will. So I want someone reliable that knows that they are doing not some dealership ******* who doesn't even care

Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Should be no problem for any dealer or shop, brembo mustangs are pretty common. However, if you can do the job yourself, you will save a lot of money, brake jobs are one of the most lucrative jobs for a shop, lots of labor and little parts cost. I had a shop quote me $400 for changing pads, I did it myself with upgraded hawk pads for $75

Interesting I've never looked into doing it myself really

Old 06-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
Interesting I've never looked into doing it myself really

Just another thought.
If you were to do it yourself, which I'm sure you can............for about the same price a brake shop/Ford would charge you for just doing the front brakes you could do the front brakes and upgrade your rear 11.8" disc brakes to 13.8" disc brakes at the same time. You could accomplish the whole thing in a half a day, or if you had to stop and ask questions maybe the full day. Then you'd have 14" up front and 13.8" in the rear............and the rears would look much beefier and fill up the wheel much better.
Take a look at the before and after pictures of mine in my garage pictures.
Just a thought?!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Just another thought.
If you were to do it yourself, which I'm sure you can............for about the same price a brake shop/Ford would charge you for just doing the front brakes you could do the front brakes and upgrade your rear 11.8" disc brakes to 13.8" disc brakes at the same time. You could accomplish the whole thing in a half a day, or if you had to stop and ask questions maybe the full day. Then you'd have 14" up front and 13.8" in the rear............and the rears would look much beefier and fill up the wheel much better.
Take a look at the before and after pictures of mine in my garage pictures.
Just a thought?!

I appreciate it I'll take a look

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT