did I mess up by buying a v6? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

How badly do you get ripped off when trading in a car for another ?
Say I've owned my 2015 v6 for about 2 months now, I decide to trade it in for the 5.0 what money would be lost ( payments , down payment ?
As if now I'm more than happy with my v6, only major issue I have is the exhaust. It'll never sound like a v8 unfortunately lol. At times I go back and drive my 96 GT reminds me how good the V8 sounds.

-1996 Mustang GT
-2015 3.7
GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
did I mess up by buying a v6?

You'll get ripped off. That's what happens when you go to a rip off center. Plain and simple.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I bought my six because it was a great deal and low miles. Sunk a bunch of money into it and loved the car. But that V8 sound still had me sell the 6 at a loss and buy a GT. No regrets with either purchase. (And my 3.8 started at a big disadvantage compared to the 3.7)
The mere fact that your thinking you made the wrong choice shows its not the car you want. Get the GT and be happy!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

It really depends how you are financially. Buddy traded in his 2014 v6 ( fully modded ) for a 2015 5.0 lost money but he doesn't regret it a bit.

-1996 Mustang GT
-2015 3.7
Old 06-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I bought my six because it was a great deal and low miles. Sunk a bunch of money into it and loved the car. But that V8 sound still had me sell the 6 at a loss and buy a GT. No regrets with either purchase. (And my 3.8 started at a big disadvantage compared to the 3.7)
The mere fact that your thinking you made the wrong choice shows its not the car you want. Get the GT and be happy!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
For me, I couldn't care enough about the V8 sound to take a loss on a vehicle. Lmao. The V8 sounds amazing with aftermarket help but that's it. Nothing special from factory but ain't gonna take any loss for amazing sound or not. 💵😈

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

It's never ending lol. They'll continue releasing mustangs with higher horsepower. My pops always says ( there will always be a faster, more expensive car than yours be happy with what you drive ) seems like the turbo charged engine is the future for mustangs who knows maybe someday they'll release the v6 turbo charged engine ( not likely ) but possible. Only regret I have is getting an automatic v6, the dealer did not have Manuel v6's at that time but all in all I love my 2015 V6.

-1996 Mustang GT
-2015 3.7
Old 06-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCaMuscle View Post
It's never ending lol. They'll continue releasing mustangs with higher horsepower. My pops always says ( there will always be a faster, more expensive car than yours be happy with what you drive ) seems like the turbo charged engine is the future for mustangs who knows maybe someday they'll release the v6 turbo charged engine ( not likely ) but possible. Only regret I have is getting an automatic v6, the dealer did not have Manuel v6's at that time but all in all I love my 2015 V6.

-1996 Mustang GT
-2015 3.7
Love my automatic! 👌

Have a great day!
Old 06-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
So it was Feb 2014 just finished being a house and my wife a new mazda I also needed a car looked at the 5.0 but the price was up thier could have waited a year but instead I bought a 2014 v6 mustang for 19 so far I just put an air raid intake and a tune from mpt it's nice and all but I think I am struck with the more power trip so what do you guys think!
You could always sell your V6 and Upgrade to one of the 227s. That should solve your problem.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1433644728.593244.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	184279 see v6's aren't that bad lol.

-1996 Mustang GT
-2015 3.7
Old 06-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
How about a Ferari with a Prius motor? Sure it's a Ferari and looks sweet but then turn the key.
Would you look forward to driving it? Endlessly surf the web for performance upgrades? Aspire to turbo it?
I had a 2014 Taurus Limited with an SHO appearance package. Every possible option, heated and cooled seats, 20 inch SHO wheels, Navigation etc. It looked bad azz. But I did not enjoy anything about driving it other than people thought it LOOKED nice.
I'm sure a nice insurance salesman is driving it now, with his sensible clothes and 2.5 kids.
As trivial as this may sound...yes, when I pull in to get gas...I want every mother jammer within 500 feet wishing my Mustang was theirs and wondering what it's like to drive it.
I feel lucky and blessed every time I pull away.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
How about a Ferari with a Prius motor? Sure it's a Ferari and looks sweet but then turn the key.
Would you look forward to driving it? Endlessly surf the web for performance upgrades? Aspire to turbo it?
I had a 2014 Taurus Limited with an SHO appearance package. Every possible option, heated and cooled seats, 20 inch SHO wheels, Navigation etc. It looked bad azz. But I did not enjoy anything about driving it other than people thought it LOOKED nice.
I'm sure a nice insurance salesman is driving it now, with his sensible clothes and 2.5 kids.
As trivial as this may sound...yes, when I pull in to get gas...I want every mother jammer within 500 feet wishing my Mustang was theirs and wondering what it's like to drive it.
Majority of those people at the gas station are not wishing your stang was theirs. Because those people would just buy a mustang 5.0 themselves if they wanted one that bad. Unless it's my stang. Ha ha ha

Have a great day!
Old 06-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post

Well said, and I feel the same exact way. I have nothing against V6's but myself personally, could NEVER buy a V6 muscle car of any brand. It just isn't in me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Well said, and I feel the same exact way. I have nothing against V6's but myself personally, could NEVER buy a V6 muscle car of any brand. It just isn't in me.

I can buy one. 😎😆👍

Have a great day!
Old 06-06-2015, 11:07 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

That's simply a downgrade for you.... 400 something hrp to 300 so that would make sense. Regardless most people can't tell the difference between a v6 V8 unless they have some knowledge about mustangs. I could've gotten myself into a larger hole and gotten the 2015 GT but being that I am only 19 and attending college lol. Someday I'll own another GT lol. Nothing beats that v8 sound.

-1996 Mustang GT
-2015 3.7
Old 06-06-2015, 11:10 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

At least we aren't driving around in Prius's.

-1996 Mustang GT
-2015 3.7
Old 06-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's simply a downgrade for you.... 400 something hrp to 300 so that would make sense. Regardless most people can't tell the difference between a v6 V8 unless they have some knowledge about mustangs. I could've gotten myself into a larger hole and gotten the 2015 GT but being that I am only 19 and attending college lol. Someday I'll own another GT lol. Nothing beats that v8 sound.

-1996 Mustang GT
-2015 3.7
Wait, if were talking about owning a muscle car why are we mentioning a 2015 model. Poke, stir pot! 😈👅

Have a great day!
Old 06-07-2015, 05:37 AM   #52
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
How badly do you get ripped off when trading in a car for another ?
Say I've owned my 2015 v6 for about 2 months now, I decide to trade it in for the 5.0 what money would be lost ( payments , down payment ?
As if now I'm more than happy with my v6, only major issue I have is the exhaust. It'll never sound like a v8 unfortunately lol. At times I go back and drive my 96 GT reminds me how good the V8 sounds.

-1996 Mustang GT
-2015 3.7
you have to see...bring it to the dealer and ask. idk but a minimum of $1000-2000 plus the added cost of the V8. It's always cheaper to buy the right car (for you) the 1st time.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:33 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
A lot of us on the Forum just plain like our Cyclone 307 V6 Mustangs. I know I like mine and won't trade it for anything. You can read the mods I have on mine in my signature at the bottom of this post.
Advantages are:
Cheaper Insurance.
87 Octane gas.
Better Miles per gallon.
Lighter front end. ( Handling advantage)
305 plus horsepower ( depending on mods)
great torque.
great looking body style.
Lower maintenance. ( only 5 qt's oil at change time. Sorry it's 6 qts.

Dis advantages;
A whole lot less power & torque.
Exhaust sound ( V8's just sound better)

ronnie
Old 06-07-2015, 06:40 AM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Do not be knocking a Toyota Prius

I have three of them in my neighborhood and the people that own them are very happy with them. There is also a Chey Volt and the guy loves it. There was a Nisson Leaf but that was traded in on one of the Prius's because the guy hated everything about it. Not enough range to be useful.
The big problem I have with any of them is I can't hear them when I walk my dogs and that is a problem. Ha ! Ha !
You all know it is just a matter of time when Ford decides to put an electric motor in the Mustang. Mustang have to meet the wise Presidents plan on a million miles a gallon (C.A.F.A. standards)
Then what are we gonna do???????
Ronnie

PS: Every one of the jap electric car owners love my Mustang. They all have children and are not wealthy so the Prius is perfect for them. They don't go anyplace except to work or the store.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Ronnie, you are using 6 qts. of oil at change? Read your manual.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:55 AM   #56
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Audio Al

Did you miss this?????

How the heck di I know, I thought my maunal said 5 quarts 5 quarts

I just go to my dealer and my guy I like changes it and the filter while I wipe off the inside of my wheels. I check it and the dipstick shows full so I guess he puts in the six quarts.
If I was changing it my self I probably would have noticed if it needed another quart. My health just don't let me do a few things I really liked to do. I have a hard time just washing my car anymore.
Uh Oh I just went to page 314 of my manual and it do say 6 quarts with the filter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The major point is that the OP needs to make up his own mind about if he really needs or want a V8. Both are really great engines and if a V8 is what he would like to have he should go get one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a follow up post about how I made one stupid little error. This is the first car in a long time that uses 6 quarts. Only My Corvette used 6 quarts, My Mini used 5 and just about every car I have owned in the past used 5. Change that to "EVERY"

Ronnie
Old 06-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

I understand the health issue, at 56 I am recovering from throat cancer. So I do less than I use to as well. I try to help other's with these "electronic Hot Rods" I had a 67 camaro and all my other cars took 5 qts, as well.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #58
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I call it -----

I had a Brain fart
I had prostate cancer, Got over that. Then Bladder cancer that was rough. two surgeries and 18 BCG treatments and finely gone for now.
It ain't so bad being sick but not being able to do a lot of things I love to do like changing oil or rotating my tires is the worst part.
At least I can still drive.
Ronnie
Old 06-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

How is this even a question lol if you wanted the better mustang the 5.0 is the answer lol sure you can debate that the v6 is okay on gas, torque, maybe insurance but what's the point lol if you're gonna drop all the money modding your v6 mustang just go for the 8. Not bashing anyone's opinion just my opinion

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Old 06-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you want a GT for the sake of being able to have a V8 or to say you have a GT then I would go for it. If you want it because of the added HP and performance ask yourself why you need it and if you ever use the current power in your V6? I say this because everyone uses their car for different things. At the end of the day both are great cars.

When I bought mine I was on the fence between a V6 and a V8 and asked myself the same question. Reasons I choose the V6 (cost had nothing to do with it):
1. It' a DD with a TON of highway miles (~20k a year)
2. Nearest 1/4 track is 3 hours away and cant remember the last time I had time go.
3. With the current V6 power levels I cant remember the last time it saw a redline. For everyday use its plenty quick without breaking the speed limits.

At the end of the day the V6 and GT are 2 different classes of cars and both are great within their class but neither are a substitute for the other depending on what you want.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
If you want a GT for the sake of being able to have a V8 or to say you have a GT then I would go for it. If you want it because of the added HP and performance ask yourself why you need it and if you ever use the current power in your V6? I say this because everyone uses their car for different things. At the end of the day both are great cars.

When I bought mine I was on the fence between a V6 and a V8 and asked myself the same question. Reasons I choose the V6 (cost had nothing to do with it):
1. It' a DD with a TON of highway miles (~20k a year)
2. Nearest 1/4 track is 3 hours away and cant remember the last time I had time go.
3. With the current V6 power levels I cant remember the last time it saw a redline. For everyday use its plenty quick without breaking the speed limits.

At the end of the day the V6 and GT are 2 different classes of cars and both are great within their class but neither are a substitute for the other depending on what you want.

Yes but OP is wondering if he messed up buying a v6 lol which it seems he might have since he's talking about spending a good amount of money on mods when he could have been happy with the base v8. Obviously people have different uses and driving conditions but in this case he might have been better off getting the GT at first

Old 06-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

And BTW, I don't own a v8 just for the sake of saying I do lol. I have it because I enjoy driving it and how it performs and IMO there is no reason to buy a mustang v6 if you are trying to go fast lol Unless you're dropping a twin turbo in it 😉

Old 06-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
How is this even a question lol if you wanted the better mustang the 5.0 is the answer lol sure you can debate that the v6 is okay on gas, torque, maybe insurance but what's the point lol if you're gonna drop all the money modding your v6 mustang just go for the 8. Not bashing anyone's opinion just my opinion

You're absolutely right about the 5.0 being the better performing mustang over the 3.7. The 5.0 is a faster, higher level performance mustang. The issue with the 5.0 I have is its not Impressive from factory with an automatic and its rumble sound is weak .

Like the 3.7 the 5.0 needs thousands of performance mods and appearance mods for my standard of happiness. I would need to spend a good additional 7 to 8k for a 5.0 on needed performance mods, full exhaust, new wheels, tires and apperence mods. That's on top of the 7.5k more for the 5.0.

As far as the OP goes, he did mess up and should of bought the V8 from jump. Many of us 3.7 owners have no regrets buying the V6 model and well worth me spending around 6k in assorted performance, full.exhaust system and apperence mods. This 6k includes the new airbrushing work in the engine bay I'm getting now.

I have about 29k into my 3.7 and will take that over a bare bones factory base 5.0 any day of the week. But I don't track race or drag strip race so the power I'm making is great for public roadway use. 👍😆

OP should get the V8 model. Do it.

Have a great day!
Old 06-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #65

Region: Oklahoma
Honestly, If I were in OP's position, I'd stick with the V6 for a few years.

As it stands, selling it would mean you'd be upside down on the loan you probably took to get the car. I'd see what's for sale in late 2016/2017 and go with that.

I don't regret the V8 I bought, but with rumors swirling around about a possible Mach1 in the future, I know I'll find myself between a rock and a hard place when/if that ever happens, decisionwise...
cougar618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar618 View Post
Honestly, If I were in OP's position, I'd stick with the V6 for a few years.

As it stands, selling it would mean you'd be upside down on the loan you probably took to get the car. I'd see what's for sale in late 2016/2017 and go with that.

I don't regret the V8 I bought, but with rumors swirling around about a possible Mach1 in the future, I know I'll find myself between a rock and a hard place when/if that ever happens, decisionwise...

Not really true with the rebates ford was offering last year I know a lot of people that were able to trade in their 14 mustangs (both v6 and v8s) without losing much if any at all. I was considering trading mine in and was offered 3 thousand dollars less then my out the door price after owning it a year and putting 14,000 miles on it.

In his original post the op said he paid 19,000 for his car so it sounds like he got a lot of of rebates ford was offering towards the end of the 14 productions.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I had a Brain fart
I had prostate cancer, Got over that. Then Bladder cancer that was rough. two surgeries and 18 BCG treatments and finely gone for now.
It ain't so bad being sick but not being able to do a lot of things I love to do like changing oil or rotating my tires is the worst part.
At least I can still drive.
Ronnie
Sorry to hear that. Glad you are doing better.
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Not really true with the rebates ford was offering last year I know a lot of people that were able to trade in their 14 mustangs (both v6 and v8s) without losing much if any at all. I was considering trading mine in and was offered 3 thousand dollars less then my out the door price after owning it a year and putting 14,000 miles on it.

In his original post the op said he paid 19,000 for his car so it sounds like he got a lot of of rebates ford was offering towards the end of the 14 productions.

That's true. The OP may be able to sell his 14 now for close to 19k. I would say to the OP don't mod if you plan on trading up soon.

Have a great day!
Old 06-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Taking about all this, I checked my clean trade in on my 14' and it's just under 28k....color me astonished. I paid 29k out the door a year and a half ago. Clean retail was around 29k as well as if I sold it personally. Didn't think it would hold its value that well within the first 2 years.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Taking about all this, I checked my clean trade in on my 14' and it's just under 28k....color me astonished. I paid 29k out the door a year and a half ago. Clean retail was around 29k as well as if I sold it personally. Didn't think it would hold its value that well within the first 2 years.

I'm guessing you took advantage of some sweet rebates which the used car price never takes that into account. That's awesome price you got 👍😆

Have a great day!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT