did I mess up by buying a v6? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
. I love my stock 5.0 way better than my modded v6 I had running low 13 quarter mile. .. and its not even close..
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #72
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Taking about all this, I checked my clean trade in on my 14' and it's just under 28k....color me astonished. I paid 29k out the door a year and a half ago. Clean retail was around 29k as well as if I sold it personally. Didn't think it would hold its value that well within the first 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I've traded in maybe 6 cars and got what I expected once...numbers on paper and cash are VERY different even though they are the same.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I've traded in maybe 6 cars and got what I expected once...numbers on paper and cash are VERY different even though they are the same.
I would recommend a private sale for the OP. I would think a new 14 3.7 will be an easy sale especially a non modded one. I think a private sale will net him the most money.

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
did I mess up by buying a v6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I'm guessing you took advantage of some sweet rebates which the used car price never takes that into account. That's awesome price you got 👍😆

Have a great day!

Yes, I received a total of about 3k off in rebates.

Quote:

Very true in most instances. However, like yourself, I've traded in well over 10 cars now, and I'd say 9/10 dealers I dealt with, gave me exactly what NADAguides.com suggested. I've been told that's what most dealers use with trade in's, not KBB. I just find it be awesome because at that point, when I have that piece of paper in front of me, I either will not be haggled, or I'll walk. I've been pretty successful with that method. My last vehicle, 2011 Subaru WRX, the first few ford dealerships tried exactly that. Sarat Ford in Agawam MA gave me payoff (22k). The car only had 18k on it, with a few subtle modifications and a set of winter tires/wheels. One dealer wanted to give me 18k and I just laughed and left.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, I received a total of about 3k off in rebates.

Very true in most instances. However, like yourself, I've traded in well over 10 cars now, and I'd say 9/10 dealers I dealt with, gave me exactly what NADAguides.com suggested. I've been told that's what most dealers use with trade in's, not KBB. I just find it be awesome because at that point, when I have that piece of paper in front of me, I either will not be haggled, or I'll walk. I've been pretty successful with that method. My last vehicle, 2011 Subaru WRX, the first few ford dealerships tried exactly that. Sarat Ford in Agawam MA gave me payoff (22k). The car only had 18k on it, with a few subtle motivations and a set of winter tires/wheels. One dealer wanted to give me 18k and I just laughed and left.

Good lord. You guys go thru cars like I go thru woman and strippers. Well over 10 cars, ha ha 😆

Have a great day!
Old 06-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good lord. You guys go thru cars like I go thru woman and strippers. Well over 10 cars, ha ha 😆

Have a great day!

Lol I guess that's kinda bad for only being 31 now that I think about it....

Old 06-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

I think he's gotten more than plenty response/ answers. Now the decision is up to him.

-1996 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang (BAYAREARACING)
GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Forget the GT just go for a Shelby, saleen, or maybe Hennessy mustang lol. Kidding.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #79
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCaMuscle View Post
Forget the GT just go for a Shelby, saleen, RTR, Sherrod, Steeda or maybe Roush mustang lol. Kidding.

Fixed it for you...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

They are all gorgeous!

Old 06-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

A private sale is generally better than trading in to a dealer. Just make sure you calculate the sales tax allowance that would be saved if traded.
For example, if a dealer offered $20,000 towards the trade, seller must get at least $21,200 from a private party to break out even. (Based on a sales tax in Florida of 6%.)
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I personally would never buy the V6 model because I know I would regret it. I love the sound and power of a V8 too much to get anything else in a performance type car. I didn't buy this car for gas mileage or want all of the bells and whistles that come with a premium car so buying a base model GT was fine for me.

Everyone has different wants and requirements in a vehicle so only you know what you want, need, or can afford.

Wayne
Old 06-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
get an exhaust ... the 3.7's sound wicked with a good exhaust. i killed one on the highway with my 14' 5.0 when i was stock but he sure sounded better than me.
5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
You're absolutely right about the 5.0 being the better performing mustang over the 3.7. The 5.0 is a faster, higher level performance mustang. The issue with the 5.0 I have is its not Impressive from factory with an automatic and its rumble sound is weak .

Like the 3.7 the 5.0 needs thousands of performance mods and appearance mods for my standard of happiness. I would need to spend a good additional 7 to 8k for a 5.0 on needed performance mods, full exhaust, new wheels, tires and apperence mods. That's on top of the 7.5k more for the 5.0.

As far as the OP goes, he did mess up and should of bought the V8 from jump. Many of us 3.7 owners have no regrets buying the V6 model and well worth me spending around 6k in assorted performance, full.exhaust system and apperence mods. This 6k includes the new airbrushing work in the engine bay I'm getting now.

I have about 29k into my 3.7 and will take that over a bare bones factory base 5.0 any day of the week. But I don't track race or drag strip race so the power I'm making is great for public roadway use. 👍😆

OP should get the V8 model. Do it.

Have a great day!
2014 GT MT-82 new $25000 before TTL
2012 takeoff single pipe GT500 mufflers: $125
Lethal off road H pipe: $125
Bama tuner used : $100
Bama tune: $150
MGW 2014 revised shifter NIB: $225
BMR LCA's used: $40
BMR adj UCA new: $100
JHR clutch line: $30
Katzkin leather $525

$895 total for performance related mods and another $525 for appearance has me pretty satisfied with my car.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #85
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Kona, you have 29k in a v6 mustang!? WHY?

I barely have that in my 14 5.0 with a ton of mods.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5liter View Post
get an exhaust ... the 3.7's sound wicked with a good exhaust. i killed one on the highway with my 14' 5.0 when i was stock but he sure sounded better than me.
Not so much for me, I think they sound like the mufflers rusted off and there's no $ for a Midas visit.
Same thing with a Civic with a fart can.
Not all V8's sound good with an exhaust also, it depends on a lot of factors like displacement, bore and stroke, V angle, timing.
It's like Harley Davidson, a simple V twin which IMo sounds good. However when compared to other brand V twins with different angles etc, The others sound like a bike with a muffler fallen off.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Kona, you have 29k in a v6 mustang!? WHY?

I barely have that in my 14 5.0 with a ton of mods.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Well, my 2011 automatic was 22.5k back in 2010 when I bought it. All my performance mods were bought new. No pre owned performance parts. Also, besides performance mods I have spent money on apperence stuff for the pony. That's apart of the 29k. Also, apart of that 29k is airbrushing work I'm currently getting under my hood.

I'm not sure what performance mods you have but I have the following performance mods and the price adds up. Remember all my stuff was new.

SCT performance tuner
Airraid CAI
Boss 302 Strut tower brace
Fowmaster Force II axle backs
3:73 gear set plus install
The Axle Exchange one piece aluminum driveshaft
BBK ceramic long tube headers
BBK off road x pipe
J&M LCA's

Apperence stuff added and remember all my stuff was new.

Window tint
Boss C stripping
Hood stripping
Tail light tint.
Third brake light tint
Side marker tint.
California Special spolier
Raxiom smoked projection halo headlights
Raxiom Day time running lights
In process of airbrushing work under hood.
Strut tower cap covers (satin finish)

With the exception of the one piece aluminum driveshaft, all would need be done to a 5.0 for my satisfaction. Heck just my 2 pieces of airbrush work and painted parts are 1k. High quality airbrush work can cost some 💸 but it stands out for the wow factor.

Have a great day!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
2014 GT MT-82 new $25000 before TTL
2012 takeoff single pipe GT500 mufflers: $125
Lethal off road H pipe: $125
Bama tuner used : $100
Bama tune: $150
MGW 2014 revised shifter NIB: $225
BMR LCA's used: $40
BMR adj UCA new: $100
JHR clutch line: $30
Katzkin leather $525

$895 total for performance related mods and another $525 for appearance has me pretty satisfied with my car.
You're manual 2014 cost 25k. That's great price. A manual 2014 3.7 could of been had for 18k back with the high rebates. Back when I bought my mustang, 5.0's could not be had for 25k.

Have a great day!
Old 06-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #89
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Money don't matter if you love your Mustang.

Who cares what it costs? It does not really matter as long as you like your car and the Mod's you did to it to get it your way.
This V8 versus V6 feud has been going on for many years. It will probably never be over.
I personally love a V8.
I also love a 3.7 Cyclone V6 ( I have one)
With my Mod's and my Magnaflows it not only looks good but also sounds great. The deep rumble of the Magnaflows are music to my ears and most of the people I meet at car shows or anyplace else tells me it sounds good when I'm backing into a space.
When I was at Orlando Speed World I turned a 13.3 My Friend turned a 13.1 with his 3.7 tuned V6 manual. There were Two V8's there both in the low 14's ( Wheels spin Problems)
Tony did run one and killed him. That don't mean the V8 is a slouch, It means the V6 does have an advantage at the drag strip with street tires.
On a roll going from 30 or 40 MPH the V8 will kill a V6 every time. But not by as much as you think it would.
What it boils down to is both engine on these new Mustangs are great and Both are worth owning.
They are getting 600 horsepower out of the turbo four with modification. Is there anything wrong with that? Of course not. Does that make it better then a V8 or V6 -Of course not. Are there people that will own a four love their Mustang -Of Course they will.
Oh Well, I said my peace.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #90
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

^ very few people see it that way.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

There's a V6 turbo running around killing modded GTR's....it's just personal preference, or its budget. Like I said earlier, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a V6 mustang, that's just my opinion. If I didn't have the funds, I'd pick a different platform.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #92
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I get ya---You actually said

Quote:
If I didn't have the funds, I'd pick a different platform.
Some of us are just "MUSTANG" people. Some of us came from different platform cars. I had a Corvette. (Never again) This is my 4th. Mustang over the years. The grass at one time looked greener on the other side but it wasn't I came back to Mustangs and don't even think of any other car. Back in 1964 the Mustangs actually were available with a straight six cylinder engine. Shari has one and it is a dog but it is still A mustang.
I really think 2014oxstang was probably had a brain Fart when he made that statement. A Mustang is a special car and there really is not anything with the Heritage that Mustangs have. Camaro's ??? I don't think so except for the 1967 to 1969 because nobody really give a crap about any other year Camaro. A Corvette, A good Heritage but people only drool after the 1963 to 1967. The rest are just not loved as much.
People seem to love every single year of Mustangs. There are even clubs representing the four cylinder Mustang and even the Mustang II has a following. A 1969 Mach 1 is desired by almost everyone that is into cars of any platform.
Last year at the American Muscle all Mustang show they had 2,600 "ONLY MUSTANGS" registered and it was the very first time at Maple Grove Raceway. Larger shows (YES) but the larger shows have all kinds of vehicles and brands. This was just Mustangs and believe me when I say there were more then just the one's registered. There were Mustangs of all engine types, All Transmissions, All years, Walking around you really did not see two the exact same.
As far as having the Funds, I can go buy a Shelby if I wanted one. I wanted a six and I bought a six and I love the six I own.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #93
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
25K for a V8!...i would have had one.

Now I feel bad

thx for nothing Scott.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
25K for a V8!...i would have had one.

Now I feel bad

thx for nothing Scott.
That's a great price no doubt. The 2014 deals were out there. My father got 8k off his 2014 CS 5.0 and 4,500 was factory incentives. Ford was making way for the 15 models and great deals were out there.

Back on the 2014's with the great rebates one could get a base 3.7 automatic for around 18k. I paid 22.5k for my 2011 base automatic but this was back in October 2010. Ford was only giving 1500 dollar rebates on the mustangs then plus the 5.0 and 3.7 were new.

It was the latest and greatest and no way could I touch a base automatic 5.0 for less than 29.5k back then. The factory incentives were far less than they have been back in 2010 on the 11 models.

25k is awesome for a 2014 manual 5.0 but I could of gotten a 2014 manual 3.7 for 17k then spend 6k for all my mods and only have 23k into the car.

25k is great but the issue for me is that I now need to spend 7-8k for assorted exhaust, performance and apperence mods for my standard.

Have a great day!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Some of us are just "MUSTANG" people. Some of us came from different platform cars. I had a Corvette. (Never again) This is my 4th. Mustang over the years. The grass at one time looked greener on the other side but it wasn't I came back to Mustangs and don't even think of any other car. Back in 1964 the Mustangs actually were available with a straight six cylinder engine. Shari has one and it is a dog but it is still A mustang.

I really think 2014oxstang was probably had a brain Fart when he made that statement. A Mustang is a special car and there really is not anything with the Heritage that Mustangs have. Camaro's ??? I don't think so except for the 1967 to 1969 because nobody really give a crap about any other year Camaro. A Corvette, A good Heritage but people only drool after the 1963 to 1967. The rest are just not loved as much.

People seem to love every single year of Mustangs. There are even clubs representing the four cylinder Mustang and even the Mustang II has a following. A 1969 Mach 1 is desired by almost everyone that is into cars of any platform.

Last year at the American Muscle all Mustang show they had 2,600 "ONLY MUSTANGS" registered and it was the very first time at Maple Grove Raceway. Larger shows (YES) but the larger shows have all kinds of vehicles and brands. This was just Mustangs and believe me when I say there were more then just the one's registered. There were Mustangs of all engine types, All Transmissions, All years, Walking around you really did not see two the exact same.

As far as having the Funds, I can go buy a Shelby if I wanted one. I wanted a six and I bought a six and I love the six I own.

Ronnie

Lol no brain fart here sir, just my opinion. I am of the mind, that if a V8 is offered in a vehicle, I want that over the V6 any day of the week. I want the power, I want the sound, I want everything that comes with it. That being said, I do understand the MUSTANG culture and it's diehards. I am one of them. I've had 2 of them, and my ailing father has an 04 he's looking to get rid of because he can barely get in and out of it. Trust me, I know how "special" mustangs are. Not wanting to own a V6 doesn't make me close minded or disrespectful, I just like what I like.

Ahhh, and good for you if you have the funds to go buy a GT500. I was in no way demeaning anyone who didn't have the funds. People have different priorities and goals, and I understand that.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

And I'd have to say a Terminator, or a 67 GT500 is just as sought after, if not more than a 69' Mach....if we're getting technical

Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol no brain fart here sir, just my opinion. I am of the mind, that if a V8 is offered in a vehicle, I want that over the V6 any day of the week. I want the power, I want the sound, I want everything that comes with it. That being said, I do understand the MUSTANG culture and it's diehards. I am one of them. I've had 2 of them, and my ailing father has an 04 he's looking to get rid of because he can barely get in and out of it. Trust me, I know how "special" mustangs are. Not wanting to own a V6 doesn't make me close minded or disrespectful, I just like what I like.

Ahhh, and good for you if you have the funds to go buy a GT500. I was in no way demeaning anyone who didn't have the funds. People have different priorities and goals, and I understand that.

If someone wants pure power and only power for their mindset, the 5.0 is a better choice than the 3.7. If you want a V8 rumble then you need the V8 but that's not gonna be from a stock set up. The V8 in factory setup is weak and nothing impressive. Its only awesome when pared with a full exhaust set up and aftermarket axle backs or cat back system.

For many of us, the performance of our 3.7's are what the S197 4.6's were and that's plenty for a lot of V6 enthusiasts. I have completed and moved away from the performance side of my 3.7 and moved into the apperence side. I would rather spend an additional 2k making my stang look different and awesome over making it faster than what it already is.

My auto 2011 3.7 makes 297 rwhp and while that ain't sheeet, I'm really happy with its street performance.

Have a great day!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If someone wants pure power and only power for their mindset, the 5.0 is a better choice than the 3.7. If you want a V8 rumble then you need the V8 but that's not gonna be from a stock set up. The V8 in factory setup is weak and nothing impressive. Its only awesome when pared with a full exhaust set up and aftermarket axle backs or cat back system.

For many of us, the performance of our 3.7's are what the S197 4.6's were and that's plenty for a lot of V6 enthusiasts. I have completed and moved away from the performance side of my 3.7 and moved into the apperence side. I would rather spend an additional 2k making my stang look different and awesome over making it faster than what it already is.

My auto 2011 3.7 makes 297 rwhp and while that ain't sheeet, I'm really happy with its street performance.

Have a great day!

Well that all depends on your definition of "impressive". Sure the 5.0 in oem spec sound wise, is nothing to shake a stick at. Actual mechanical performance? I'd be hard pressed to find a brand new car with 420 hp, that handles well, and is capable of 12's in the 1/4 for 29k (which is what I paid). Like I said, this is all subjective, and I respect all walks of mustangs. A simple axle back and suspension modifications has me happier than a pig in **** for now....

That's good power btw. You see that silver turbo V6 on YouTube? Thing is bad ***...

Old 06-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Have a great day!
V8 is weak and nothing impressive? Get outta here with that. The 5.0 is a great bargain for someone who wants over 400hp, 28mpg all for under 30k. My V6 was fun , but I definitely dont wish I could have it back over my 5.0.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R.STANG View Post
V8 is weak and nothing impressive? Get outta here with that. The 5.0 is a great bargain for someone who wants over 400hp, 28mpg all for under 30k. My V6 was fun , but I definitely dont wish I could have it back over my 5.0.

I wish I saw 28 mpg's...but I'm with ya lol

Old 06-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

I understand you have to defend your car, but no need to call the 5.0 weak and such..
Old 06-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you all for your generous feed back with all the help I had from you guys I went on to buying a 1995 Honda civic lol!
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

With my m6 and 3.31 gears I see 28-30mpg if I cruise around 65mph .
Old 06-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #104
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Well that all depends on your definition of "impressive". Sure the 5.0 in oem spec sound wise, is nothing to shake a stick at. Actual mechanical performance? I'd be hard pressed to find a brand new car with 420 hp, that handles well, and is capable of 12's in the 1/4 for 29k (which is what I paid). Like I said, this is all subjective, and I respect all walks of mustangs. A simple axle back and suspension modifications has me happier than a pig in **** for now....

That's good power btw. You see that silver turbo V6 on YouTube? Thing is bad ***...

You will find that arguing v6/v8 3.7/5.0 with Kona is not going to go anywhere. Lol. I actually respect what these 3.7's can do but for me 5.0 or bust. I'd rather take a grand and put it toward a bone stock base 5.0 then airbrushing some junk under the hood of a 3.7. But Kona wouldn't. I'm cool with that. He is cool with that. I just wish Kona didn't feel like he has to defend the worlds 3.7's and all people who ever made the choice to buy one. Especially in a thread where a guy basically isn't happy with his. Love your show Kona, but brush that chip off your shoulder bud. We are okay with your choice. 😜

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R.STANG View Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT