did I mess up by buying a v6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
did I mess up by buying a v6?

So it was Feb 2014 just finished being a house and my wife a new mazda I also needed a car looked at the 5.0 but the price was up thier could have waited a year but instead I bought a 2014 v6 mustang for 19 so far I just put an air raid intake and a tune from mpt it's nice and all but I think I am struck with the more power trip so what do you guys think!
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
The V6 2014 is a fine car and many make them look incredible but it sounds like you won't be satisfied until you own the 5.0.
If you want to achieve that quicker and without causing as much financial challenges, consider skipping any more mods on your V6 and put that money aside for your future car. It will give you motivation to work harder, save more and you'll ultimately enjoy the results.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It is up to you what you will be happy with.

A lot of us on the Forum just plain like our Cyclone 307 V6 Mustangs. I know I like mine and won't trade it for anything. You can read the mods I have on mine in my signature at the bottom of this post.
Advantages are:
Cheaper Insurance.
87 Octane gas.
Better Miles per gallon.
Lighter front end. ( Handling advantage)
305 plus horsepower ( depending on mods)
great torque.
great looking body style.
Lower maintenance. ( only 5 qt's oil at change time.

Dis advantages;
A whole lot less power & torque.
Exhaust sound ( V8's just sound better)

ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

It's not a bad car at all. A gear swap and it's much more alive. But everything Ronnie stated is true. Which if you're unhappy with the car then sell it, and buy something else. But if you're willing to give the car a chance get gears and a tune. I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
A lot of us on the Forum just plain like our Cyclone 307 V6 Mustangs. I know I like mine and won't trade it for anything. You can read the mods I have on mine in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Advantages are:

Cheaper Insurance.

87 Octane gas.

Better Miles per gallon.

great torque.

Dis advantages;

ronnie

Hey Ronnie! Hope they are putting 6 quarts in when they are changing your oil and replacing your filter, not 5.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
So it was Feb 2014 just finished being a house and my wife a new mazda I also needed a car looked at the 5.0 but the price was up thier could have waited a year but instead I bought a 2014 v6 mustang for 19 so far I just put an air raid intake and a tune from mpt it's nice and all but I think I am struck with the more power trip so what do you guys think!
I would sell it immediately sir. I personally think you made a huge mistake by not buying the V8 but not to worry. Just sell the V6 and go buy that V8. šŸ‘

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Advantages are:
Cheaper Insurance.
87 Octane gas.
Better Miles per gallon.
great torque.

Dis advantages;

ronnie
My 3.7 takes 6 quarts of motor oil. Is my 3.7 a special edition mustang that it takes one more court of oil than other 3.7 models?šŸ˜†šŸ‘

Have a great day!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I would sell it immediately sir. I personally think you made a huge mistake by not buying the V8 but not to worry. Just sell the V6 and go buy that V8. šŸ‘

Have a great day!
/End Thread
dseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

How the heck di I know, I thought my maunal said 5 quarts 5 quarts

I just go to my dealer and my guy I like changes it and the filter while I wipe off the inside of my wheels. I check it and the dipstick shows full so I guess he puts in the six quarts.
If I was changing it my self I probably would have noticed if it needed another quart. My health just don't let me do a few things I really liked to do. I have a hard time just washing my car anymore.
Uh Oh I just went to page 314 of my manual and it do say 6 quarts with the filter.

The major point is that the OP needs to make up his own mind about if he really needs or want a V8. Both are really great engines and if a V8 is what he would like to have he should go get one.
Ronnie
Old 06-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Guys I'm no hater on a 3.7. I had fun tonight on the way in to work with one. A nearly identical black 3.7 hung with me and then passed me on a two lane road, giving a thumbs up. But if you have that itch, that wonder and daydream mode about the GT, then it's not going away.
I don't know how it is owning a 3.7 and the feeling you get about it but I do know, I start anticipating my drive to and from work an hour before its time to go. I wisely choose areas each way to open it up for just a little bit. I grin and laugh every single time. There's no other exhaust sound like it.

My wife is a huge Ford fan and her thing is trucks like Raptors and jacked up, loud F150s. We traded her 06 Tank of an Expedition last year (with 35" Mickey Thompsons, lift kit etc) for a 13 Fusion. For the sole purpose of better gas mileage and more comfort to travel to see her son in college 1k miles away for the next 2 years. She loves her Fusion but told me explicitly , NO MODS or money spent on it because it's not truly what she wants and she knows it will be replaced in a year or two with that dream truck. ...and that's where the money should go.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseg View Post
/End Thread
No way. Why end the thread. Were here to help the OP. They asked a question and were answering. What's the issue?

Have a great day!
Old 06-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
No way. Why end the thread. Were here to help the OP. They asked a question and were answering. What's the issue?

Have a great day!
It's /End Thread meaning you nailed it in your post.
Thread answered.

It's like a joke...
dseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseg View Post
It's /End Thread meaning you nailed it in your post.
Thread answered.

It's like a joke...
Ha ha ha. My bad my bad, my bad. šŸ˜†šŸ‘. I misunderstood! My bad sir. End thread because I answered the question.

Have a great day!
Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
End thread, if it's okay with kona. Lol
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

I knew it! Kona runs the forum not Janet...

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
I knew it! Kona runs the forum not Janet...

Adventure till you drop
Kona be thy name. Ha ha ha. Carry on my stang bangers. šŸ‘šŸ˜†

Have a great day!
Old 06-06-2015, 05:19 AM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
All the above posts are why I prefer this Forum......If the V6/V8 cost the same your V6 would have been a poor choice. They don't so it is up to you to figure out if you made a poor choice. The majority of people that change cylinder count increase it. I like MY 6 it is a reasonably fast car that handles decent, looks good and was made in America at the time I bought it it was the right choice for me.

I'd consider being happy with what you have, different gears esp. if you have a MT 2.73, or upgrading to the V8 (in that order)

enjoy anyway
Old 06-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
UMMMMMM, yes you did!
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #19
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I owned a 2011 5.0 and in 2012 I bought the V6. I have hated the engine since the day I bought it, after you have the 5.0 you can't settle for the 3.7. I guess I could put some new gears in the rear-end to make it feel like it has more torque but I miss the 5.0.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Just go trade in the six for an eight

There are plenty of used GT's on the dealers lots at good prices now that the 2015 is selling so good.
A good 13 or 14 would probably go for a good price. If I did not like my 3.7 so much I would trade it in a flash.
Ronnie
Old 06-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
I owned a 2011 5.0 and in 2012 I bought the V6. I have hated the engine since the day I bought it, after you have the 5.0 you can't settle for the 3.7. I guess I could put some new gears in the rear-end to make it feel like it has more torque but I miss the 5.0.
Haven't heard too many people going from a 5.0 to a 3.7?????????????? Why did you get rid of the 5.0 for a 3.7?

Have a great day!
Old 06-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Always go for the V8. I would much rather have more power than to drop all the cash to make a V6 "appear" better. Bad choice. Should have waited.
ch0wd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Both the V6 and V8 = the win. I purchased a new 2012 V6 and drove it for 22,000 miles before replacing it with a new 2014 GT. In a perfect world having one of each model would work for me as they both have their pros and cons. Iā€™d like to see Ford offer a twin turbo V6 mustang as Iā€™m pretty sure that would tighten up the current power gap between the two models.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0wd0g View Post
Always go for the V8. I would much rather have more power than to drop all the cash to make a V6 "appear" better. Bad choice. Should have waited.
I'm gonna have to agree here. Depending on how much more power one wants, the 5.0 may be the better choice for that individual. All about what's important to someone and how much they are wiling to spend for it.

Having more power than my 3.7 would be nice but wasn't that nice for me to spend the extra 7,500 dollars to make that happen. All about how much someone is willing to spend and how much power someone will be happy with. šŸ˜†šŸ˜Ž

Have a great day!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I got to the point where I was mad that I was paying monthly on my v6. It was fun at first putting new mods on and it was decently quick. Traded for a 5.0 and not ever looking back. Now I know to get the big motor every time and not settle. Save up more if I have to.
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstate777 View Post
Both the V6 and V8 = the win. I purchased a new 2012 V6 and drove it for 22,000 miles before replacing it with a new 2014 GT. In a perfect world having one of each model would work for me as they both have their pros and cons. Iā€™d like to see Ford offer a twin turbo V6 mustang as Iā€™m pretty sure that would tighten up the current power gap between the two models.
I would bet this is a reality shortly in the future and the v8 will be a GT350 and GT500 thing.
I never would have thought the Raptor would have a V6 yet here we are. Same with Expedition.
I'm sure a twin turbo eco boost v6 Mustang would be stupid fun but what about that V8 sound? I will miss it.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Now time to upgrade to the Trinity or Voodoo.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Yup V8 sound is a must! And im not hating on the v6. I had one and loved it, just felt like I was missing out .
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R.STANG View Post
Yup V8 sound is a must! And im not hating on the v6. I had one and loved it, just felt like I was missing out .
Then you made the right move sir. Stepping up to the 5.0 was the right and sensible thing to do for what you wanted. Nothing wrong with that! šŸ‘ I would do the same thing if I felt as you did. šŸ˜Ž

Have a great day!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Personally I love my 3.7. Gears and a tune are a MUST though. Otherwise it is just really sluggish. It sounds like you have your mind made up though. An alternative could be hunting through craigslist and picking up an older SN95/New Edge for cheap and getting your v8 envy from that. I personally went off and bought a 95 5.0 with my girl friend and she loves it, and I love that she loves it! She is even fine with dumping the exhaust lol.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
When I had my 6 I soon realized that I wouldn't be satisfied until I had an 8. Sadly it happens to some of us lol
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Or just buy a V8 in the first place...

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Or just buy a V8 in the first place...

Adventure till you drop
Mistake number one for me lol
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Live and learn.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

So, in the end the OP f up'ed big time by not buying the V8. Stuff happens. Just take the hit, sell the 14 V6 for the loss, buy the 5.0 and move on. Its only money

Have a great day!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT