Quality question Cervini vs. Trufiber - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quality question Cervini vs. Trufiber

I am trying to decide on a hood as I THINK I have decided to get one lol. Thse are the two I am going to pick from. They are very similar but I do think the Trufiber is a little more subtle and better looking. that said they are close enough I want to have everyone chime in on the quality between the two brands. And if anyone has a reason why AM doesn't carry either please let me know. So quality wise please let me know your experiences with the two companies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2105335862.jpg
Views:	1879
Size:	696.8 KB
ID:	184399   Click image for larger version

Name:	cer-1209_9808.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	184400  

Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
They are both very high quality hoods. Where do you live? Tru Fiber is here in Socal and Cervini's is in NJ I believe. I like Cervinis because I can have them paint it so I don't have to deal with it.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
They are both very high quality hoods. Where do you live? Tru Fiber is here in Socal and Cervini's is in NJ I believe. I like Cervinis because I can have them paint it so I don't have to deal with it.
I am in South Florida. I like the idea of prepainted but I like that the main scoop on the Trufiber is more subtle and not so angular. I get shops quoting all over the place to paint. they say it all depends on prep work and that they have seen some really bad ones come in needing prep and others just fine. Decisions decisions...
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

I would do the Cervini hood. I understand the paint is spot on. The only down side is that it will take around a month to get it from Cervinis painted.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

IMO. Cervini parts get my vote. MY paint shop pros say Cervini's are the best quality and the money saved on prep work makes it well worth their cost. The fit and finish are the most important things to consider over slight design differences. I know a guy in my club that spent a month trying to get his hood to fit right. When a mod is complete you will not think so much about the cost as the finished look. It is never worth while to do a mod over again to get it right! Do it right, do it once or wait til you have the time and money.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The sleek subtle look of the trufiber hood is amazing. That's what I would get.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quality question Cervini vs. Trufiber

Cervini has the slowest shipping of any company I've dealt with.

So if you can order from a middle man, do it

🇺🇸
D1STRRBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Get the one you think looks better and that's that.

As far as fit/finish and ease of install. Cervinis fits like OEM and nothing like getting it delivered right to your door and taking it out of the box and putting it right on your car painted and everything.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Funny you asked this question, I'm in the exact same boat, and also like the Trufiber a bit better. Preprinted is great, but what if it doesn't match exactly is my concern. I just had Roush Oliver's and an OEM GT500 spoiler painted, and the shop did a spray out test of the OEM paint code, and it didn't match exactly. The tried a different mix and that would matched perfectly. I think I'd rather know it's a perfect match than hope it is. That being said, I've also heard of some figment issues with Trufiber, and Cervini seems to have far less. Decisions decisions!
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Cervinis is literally bolt on and go, their hoods are that good. I kind of like the flow of the TF hood better myself but if you are going to be spending $$$ on labor at a body shop to get it prepped...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

well I went with the Trufiber. The body shop said it was a pretty good quality hood. Painting was more than I expected. I guess the metalics are harder. I did not flare in the fenders but they matched well. Note: having the Boss intake manifold with airrair intake caused some fitment issues. I had to remove the screw on "ram air" tunnel add on but I dont think it was going to send too much to the intake anyway. I am going to work on it with a dremmel and see if I can get it on there with a cut out for itake tube. wont let a ton of air in either way but I figure it can only help not hurt. the scoop grille was silver and I painted it black. the side vents that mimic the stock GT ones only sit in there there are no set screws or anything like stock so they double sided taped them in. Paint with install and black heat extractors as well as putting in the washer fluid relocation came to $950. I have tested the hood at high speeds and no flutter. Fit is good although there is a VERY slight bow that makes it not align perfectly to the sides flatness wise. lines good though and hoping that the course of time will flatten it. Doesnt sit over the fender by more that like 1/8 inch. Lots compliments so far and I like it. There is my write up lol. Here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150702_144741.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	814.4 KB
ID:	186591   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150702_185155.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	186592  

Name:	20150705_104504.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	186593  
Old 07-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
well I went with the Trufiber. The body shop said it was a pretty good quality hood. Painting was more than I expected. I guess the metalics are harder. I did not flare in the fenders but they matched well. Note: having the Boss intake manifold with airrair intake caused some fitment issues. I had to remove the screw on "ram air" tunnel add on but I dont think it was going to send too much to the intake anyway. I am going to work on it with a dremmel and see if I can get it on there with a cut out for itake tube. wont let a ton of air in either way but I figure it can only help not hurt. the scoop grille was silver and I painted it black. the side vents that mimic the stock GT ones only sit in there there are no set screws or anything like stock so they double sided taped them in. Paint with install and black heat extractors as well as putting in the washer fluid relocation came to $950. I have tested the hood at high speeds and no flutter. Fit is good although there is a VERY slight bow that makes it not align perfectly to the sides flatness wise. lines good though and hoping that the course of time will flatten it. Doesnt sit over the fender by more that like 1/8 inch. Lots compliments so far and I like it. There is my write up lol. Here are a few pics.

That looks incredible! Nice job👍
RJTheIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Very nice.

Had the same one on my last car but in carbon fiber.

Just got the same hood for my 15 but need to find time to go get it painted!
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

A quick FYI, The thing to remember when trying to match OE paint is that the material being painted has an effect on the final color results. If it is a major concern then I am afraid you are just going to have to trial and error a custom mix.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:49 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Looks great. I went with Tru Fiber as well. Mine is being painted as we speak, hopefully by early next week.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #16

Functional hood scoop

I'm also thinking about this hood and was wondering how the hood scoop performs in wet weather. I believe the hood scoop is functional and forces outside air in the engine bay to lower the engine bay temperature.

I was wondering if you have to constantly clean the engine and it a lot of water gets in there and makes the bay dirtier than usual. What has been your experience with it?
jclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclement View Post
I'm also thinking about this hood and was wondering how the hood scoop performs in wet weather. I believe the hood scoop is functional and forces outside air in the engine bay to lower the engine bay temperature.

I was wondering if you have to constantly clean the engine and it a lot of water gets in there and makes the bay dirtier than usual. What has been your experience with it?
I got to be honest as anal as I am about the car and cleaning the engine bay is not on my list too often at all, lol. The heat extractors are about the same a the stock except that mesh in the stock openings is not there on the Trufiber. The main scoop actually comes with a raim air style attachment that sends the air from opening over to the CAI I have. I actually had to remove that ram air section though because the combination of the Airraid CAI and Boss IM is too big. That said it isnt too bad about getting water in there but it fdoes do it. Engivne stays about the same *** it was before the hood in my opinion and would probably be exactly the same if the ram air section was attached. Hope it helps.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

That is one sexxxxxy hood man!

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Timely post. I just picked up the cervini heat extractor hood. Body shop baked and primed and fitment is off on the right side by about a half inch. Calling cervini tomorrow. Hope there is a fix because the shop already has a couple hours labor into it.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1445560523118.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	192671   Click image for larger version

Name:	1445560544148.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	192672  

Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Fix is they express freight you a new hood and cover all costs.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 10-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Hope they do.... Spent a lot of money on this hood already.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcityf6b View Post
Hope they do.... Spent a lot of money on this hood already.

I'm considering a cervinis hood at the moment. How was their customer service when you told them the fitment was off?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 11-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Customer service was good. They talked my body shop through an adjustment to get the right fit.

Sent from my XT1096 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Update. Hood is flush and fit is fantastic. Put one small shim under the front bolt on the passenger side hinge.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Update. Hood is flush and fit is fantastic. Put one small shim under the front bolt on the passenger side hinge.

My curiosity is killing me.
I can't figure out how adding a spacer(shim) under the front bolt(I assume that's the bolt connected to the hood) moves the hood down and not up further.
what am I missing here?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I know. It's crazy but it worked. I will get a picture of the under and post it.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know. It's crazy but it worked. I will get a picture of the under and post it.

I was hoping you would volunteer to do that.
A picture is worth a 1,000 words.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

To the OP, my body shop said this was one of the highest quality after market good they have seen. They didn't need to do much paint prep besides what was factory recommended. No high spots, very smooth clear coat etc.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Here are a few top pics.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1447446119689.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	193562   Click image for larger version

Name:	1447446136592.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	193563  

Name:	1447446160701.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	193564   Click image for larger version

Name:	1447446185393.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	193565  

Old 11-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Here are the under pics. I still don't get it but it worked.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1447514504820.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	193591   Click image for larger version

Name:	1447514524312.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	193592  

Old 11-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here are the under pics. I still don't get it but it worked.

I think I get it now. I'm guessing the hinge wasn't going all the way down because the nose of the hood was hitting too soon.
Well in any case, it looks great!
Old 11-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I think I get it now. I'm guessing the hinge wasn't going all the way down because the nose of the hood was hitting too soon.
Well in any case, it looks great!
Thanks bud. I decided last minute to go with black. I like how it turned out. I kept the stock red hood so I can always go back if I decided to go stock again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT