Tunes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2015, 06:02 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
Tunes

Hey Guys,

I have been doing some reading on and off on future upgrades for my Mustang. I am not a newbie with the aftermarket crowd as I spent 6 years fine tuning my Honda before letting it go. Needless to say though there are some difference between My Honda and Ford lol. I am a huge fan of tunes based off of my past experience. From the research I have done it seems like the three best out there are Bama, AED and Lund. I am having a hard time really deciding between these tunes. I have my main priorities in the tune below and I am hoping that can help slim this down some.

My main priorities are as follows:

1. Safe- I have read some horror stories in regards to tunes with the Mustang. I just want one that will treat me right for years and years to come.

2. Smoothness/linear in driving- I have read how some tunes lose bottom end or mid range power. I have heard how some require increased throttle to get going. This may not be my DD but I want the tune to be an improvement on all fronts (not just about that top end power) and to be linear.

3. Power- I'd be lying if I said I do not want a noticeable gain in power, because I do.

Again how "safe" the tune is and improvements in its drive-ability are my biggest wants. If it just so happens I get the best numbers as well then that is the icing on the cake.

It is also important to note that I already have a Ford racing Sport axle back (I just wanted a small sound boost). My future mods would include a carbon fiber drive shaft down the road. My 13 5.0 does have the track pack and it will see some track time at my local road course. I doubt I will ever put an intake on this car mainly because they were useless in the Honda world outside of cooler weather and good supporting cast of parts to go with it. I am not worried about customer service since all three seem to get 5 stars. Though I did hear Bama is not so good about sending updated tunes.

I apologize if I somehow managed to miss a thread that went over these exact points. I have seen some Bama vs AED and etc threads; however I did not come across many posts like mine where the focus was improvements on the drive as apposed to peak hp numbers. I am looking for more information before going to purchase. I have done my research and I have done enough to know that I want to start my own post on this to see what your thoughts are on these tuns.

Thank you all.
5.0Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

the v2 Bama tunes are supposedly better, but you listed two tuners AED, and Lund that would be the only choices imo

sent from my Galaxy S6 using tapatalk
Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
the v2 Bama tunes are supposedly better, but you listed two tuners AED, and Lund that would be the only choices imo
This
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post

sent from my Galaxy S6 using tapatalk
Thanks for the information. I am aware they are. From my understand though is AED does OBD II tunes and communicates via email correct? I do not live in the same state so I want to make sure I get my facts straight.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0Black View Post
Thanks for the information. I am aware they are. From my understand though is AED does OBD II tunes and communicates via email correct? I do not live in the same state so I want to make sure I get my facts straight.
All of those email tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
All of those email tune
I have done dyno and Obd II tunes before. for email tunes I'm assuming the tunes they send me go onto a obd II device? Still curious how bama does
Old 06-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I have done dyno and Obd II tunes before. for email tunes I'm assuming the tunes they send me go onto a obd II device? Still curious how bama does
Yep then you upload it on to the tuner you have. Ie sct x3 or x4
Old 06-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Yep then you upload it on to the tuner you have. Ie sct x3 or x4
Thanks, so I would I would still have to buy a Bama tuning box then? then pay for the cost for an email tune? Sorry if these are dumb questions. I am used to other means.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks, so I would I would still have to buy a Bama tuning box then? then pay for the cost for an email tune? Sorry if these are dumb questions. I am used to other means.
Any of those tuners you listed sell the tuner with a tune for you on them if I'm not mistaken
Old 06-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Any of those tuners you listed sell the tuner with a tune for you on them if I'm not mistaken
Cool, so I could call AED or LUND for a OBD II tune then. Interesting...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

They have webistes
Old 06-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
SCT X4 Power Flash Handheld Programmer - 7015

You can buy the sct tuning device right there. If you choose to have a custom tune added for $100, it will be a lund tune.

I've only had my lund tune for a couple days, but I love it so far.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #13

Region: Florida
Just because Bama does a lot of tunes doesn't mean they do them well. I personally like my Lund tune but have no experience with AED so I can't comment on him. I also have a tune done by Chris Holmes with forced Motor Sports. That is a very good safe tune that pulls hard.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
blkcalispecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have both Lund and aed, they are both very good tunes.
the Lund has a more aggressive shift and pulls hard. The AED is smooth all the way through and pulls equally has hard. I DD mine and choose to run the AED.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by utm18 View Post
I have both Lund and aed, they are both very good tunes.
the Lund has a more aggressive shift and pulls hard. The AED is smooth all the way through and pulls equally has hard. I DD mine and choose to run the AED.
Yea the Lund is seeming to be too aggressive for me. I want my car to be more aggressive but I also want it to be smooth. Since you have the AED how did tuning work for you? It looks like I can purchase an OBD device from them then tune it by downloading their email tune. At this point unless Bama is going to provide me a free tune I think AED may be the way for me to go. It seems like they are safer, powerful and improve on the stock driving points.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Yea the Lund is seeming to be too aggressive for me. I want my car to be more aggressive but I also want it to be smooth. Since you have the AED how did tuning work for you? It looks like I can purchase an OBD device from them then tune it by downloading their email tune. At this point unless Bama is going to provide me a free tune I think AED may be the way for me to go. It seems like they are safer, powerful and improve on the stock driving points.
I've got a slow acceleration video of my car on Lund. His tune isn't to aggressive or any more aggressive than AED. My Lund tune is smooth all the way through. What's your email so I can send it to you. (Won't let me pm it)

Old 06-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I have been reading a lot on these as well. The AED and Lund tunes are popular. I have been leaning towards Steeda, as a name-brand very safe tune. I like the Ford / Steeda relationship, and it should be safer - maybe not faster (maybe I'm making it up?) I can't find any bad press. Does anyone have a Steeda complaint?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #18

I ran a Steeda before I ran a Lund tune. My only complaint was it was to rich. Never got about 22 - 23 mpg and they couldn't fix it. Tune ran fine. Made 402 with offroad h, Steeda intake and their tune on a mustang dyno.

My Lund tune is faster and it'll pull 28 - 29 mpgs crusin

Old 06-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcalispecial View Post
I ran a Steeda before I ran a Lund tune. My only complaint was it was to rich. Never got about 22 - 23 mpg and they couldn't fix it. Tune ran fine. Made 402 with offroad h, Steeda intake and their tune on a mustang dyno.

Would Lund and AED be considered safe tunes? One of the users here brought up a good point and I never really read much on how safe AED or Lunds is. I have heard Bama considered to be a more safe tune than going to a tuner.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks! Great feedback. That's my mileage stock... Lol!
Your story fits my understanding of a Steeda tune. Very safe. Ok, it's rich, but it won't blow. The other guys are a little closer to the edge, and a little faster. That's a solid dyno number. I also see why you switched.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #21

My Lund tune tune and steeda have the same basic AFr at Wot. It was no safer, the in between daily stuff is where Lund is way better. I doubt my Lund tune makes much more power it's just quicker smoother power that makes it feel faster.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

You're gonna talk me into it...

Old 06-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Bama does give you free custom tunes. (I believe they're the only ones to do that.)
I think that's why so many people do actually chose them, b/c why not buy the SCT tuner from them, get 2 free custom tunes, play with it and if you want to experiment with the other guys, Lund, AED, Rousch, etc... you can buy them afterwards and then go back & forth to see which you like best.

Everyone else, charges $399 +- for the tuner that you need. Then you pay an additional $100-$250 for your custom tune, depending on the options that you purchase. Some charge extra for little options like Lopey Idle, etc.

There are canned tunes that are also free with all the major brand handhelds, like Diablo, SuperChips, etc.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
You're gonna talk me into it...

Go for it. Well worth it. Lol
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433884210821.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	184495

Old 06-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #25

For whatever reason the AED web page I am finding is in CA. I thought they were a TX company?
Old 06-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #26

Quote:
For whatever reason the AED web page I am finding is in CA. I thought they were a TX company?
I thought he was in Cali

Old 06-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm pretty happy with my Ford Racing Performance Products Pro-Cal tune. The FRPP group point out that they work very closely with Ford engineers to make sure the tune is safe. Though the tune only adds 16 hp and 9 ft.lb. of torque, it shifts 60 ft. lb. down to 1500 RPM. The driveability of this tune is great, throttle response is more lively and the pull from down low is nice and linear, perfect for a street car / DD. Additional benefits are ~2 MPG improvement in fuel consumption, it doesn't completely void your warranty and it's CA emissions certified. The only downside is you have to use premium fuel, which I was already doing anyway.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
I'm pretty happy with my Ford Racing Performance Products Pro-Cal tune. The FRPP group point out that they work very closely with Ford engineers to make sure the tune is safe. Though the tune only adds 16 hp and 9 ft.lb. of torque, it shifts 60 ft. lb. down to 1500 RPM. The driveability of this tune is great, throttle response is more lively and the pull from down low is nice and linear, perfect for a street car / DD. Additional benefits are ~2 MPG improvement in fuel consumption, it doesn't completely void your warranty and it's CA emissions certified. The only downside is you have to use premium fuel, which I was already doing anyway.
I thought about the FRPP, the only thing I do not like is the knocking issue that will happen. Ford said a little knock is ok but to me....well that doesn't make me feel safe haha. It seemed like a good drive-ability tune until I heard about the knocking. Perhaps they fixed this.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There is not that much difference between the tunes for a stock car like yours. JMS, AED, BBR, Lund, Steeda all have good tunes with different price points based on the amount of customer service you will receive. How "aggressive" a tune is based on how the tuner sets up the drive by wire tables. Any of the good tuners can set this however you want for the most part. When my car was stock I ran a Steeda tune and it was great. Lots of people also like the JMS and BBR tunes that are inexpensive. If you want to spend more money and have a more "custom" tune experience go to AED or Lund. AED is impossible to beat in the customer service department. At your power level, any of these tunes are "safe". I have no experience with Bama but many around the community have had poor results in the past.
Nater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater View Post
There is not that much difference between the tunes for a stock car like yours. JMS, AED, BBR, Lund, Steeda all have good tunes with different price points based on the amount of customer service you will receive. How "aggressive" a tune is based on how the tuner sets up the drive by wire tables. Any of the good tuners can set this however you want for the most part. When my car was stock I ran a Steeda tune and it was great. Lots of people also like the JMS and BBR tunes that are inexpensive. If you want to spend more money and have a more "custom" tune experience go to AED or Lund. AED is impossible to beat in the customer service department. At your power level, any of these tunes are "safe". I have no experience with Bama but many around the community have had poor results in the past.
I have heard bad things about Bama but with the new staff the V2's have been getting a lot of positive feedback.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:56 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm currently running the preloaded 93 octane tune from my SCT x4 device. How much more noticeable will a custom Lund or AED tune be in comparison to the preloaded one I'm using now? Also I've heard this preloaded tune was not safe to run? I have not yet experienced issues yet

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 6sp MT-82 3.73 rear end, Track pkg, Brembo brakes, Premium, Glass roof, Navagation, Media pkg, Borla S-Type axel back exhaust, Airaid cold air intake, SCT X4 Tuner, Eibach Sportline lowering springs, BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets, Whiteline adjustable Panhard bar, Barton short shifter and bracket, Whiteline transmission insert.

Black 2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Premium, Glass Roof, Navigation
Borla S-Type Axel back, H Pipe, Drop in K&N filter
cnadz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnadz15 View Post
I'm currently running the preloaded 93 octane tune from my SCT x4 device. How much more noticeable will a custom Lund or AED tune be in comparison to the preloaded one I'm using now? Also I've heard this preloaded tune was not safe to run? I have not yet experienced issues yet

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 6sp MT-82 3.73 rear end, Track pkg, Brembo brakes, Premium, Glass roof, Navagation, Media pkg, Borla S-Type axel back exhaust, Airaid cold air intake, SCT X4 Tuner, Eibach Sportline lowering springs, BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets, Whiteline adjustable Panhard bar, Barton short shifter and bracket, Whiteline transmission insert.
Hard to say how much you'd notice it, the tune will be much more refined and tweak to your car and fuel. It will be better.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I already had a sct x4, I emailed shaun about getting tuned. He sent me some pid's and had me datalog it on the stock tune. I had issues with knock aND fuel quality and low spark #'s. Shaun worked with me for almost a month to get the car to were he felt comfortable to tune it.
After we worked that problem out he sent me a base tune and had me datalog it. He refined my maf and sent me a final tune.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Would Lund and AED be considered safe tunes? One of the users here brought up a good point and I never really read much on how safe AED or Lunds is. I have heard Bama considered to be a more safe tune than going to a tuner.
Yes, either one will be a safe quality tune.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've got a slow acceleration video of my car on Lund. His tune isn't to aggressive or any more aggressive than AED. My Lund tune is smooth all the way through. What's your email so I can send it to you. (Won't let me pm it)

I have a auto, so when I was saying aggressive it was in terms of shifting. Were as my other tune is as good just shifts smoother.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT