Sound tube on after market CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Sound tube on after market CAI

Maybe a stupid question but would an after market CAI make the cabin sound from a sound tube quieter? I ask because I test drove a 2010 with the stock air box and the engine sound coming through the dash and shifter was pretty noticeable. I purchased a 2011 with an aftermarket CAI, sound tube is connected but not as noticeable in the cabin. The sound I do notice is more prevalent from the back of the car from my GT500 exhaust, with nothing noticeable coming through the dash or the shifter.

The other thought I had was that is was more a difference in engine sound between the 4.6 and the Coyote.

Or maybe I'm just nuts. 😮

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Not crazy about the sound tube all together. Mine has been in a box in my garage since I bought my mustang. It doesn't help performace and just clutters up the engine bay.

If you have GT500 axlebacks, maybe remove the resonators. Heard some YouTube clips when I was deciding and that setup sounded very nice inside and out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2010GBGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

Region: Oklahoma
When I got my GT it only took a few weeks for me to delete the sound tube. The cabin drone at highway speed was super annoying, and I was glad to get some peace and quiet with it gone.

You don't need to get a new intake, There's a guide on what you need to get at the hardware store... Just google mustang sound tube delete and one of those stang forums should tell you the parts you need.
cougar618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
When I bought my 14 GT TrakPak it had a CAI on it with sound tube hooked up. I have twin tip GT500 mufflers on it and notice no noise from the interior and I like the sound of the GT500's a lot better than my stock mufflers.
I am going to separate the clutch and brake fluid so the clutch does not share the hot brake fluid and I will be removing the sound tube because it is just in the way.
There is a guy on Ebay selling everything for $12. I ordered it just so I have everything here at the house and don't have to drive for an hour to get to a hardware store.
2011 2014 Mustang 5 0 Sound Tube Delete Kit | eBay

To me the 5.0 in my 14 has a totally different sound than the 4.6DOHC in my 97 Cobra.
olerodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I am going to separate the clutch and brake fluid so the clutch does not share the hot brake fluid and I will be removing the sound tube because it is just in the way.
I plan on doing the same thing with the clutch/brake fluid. If you're looking, I bought a used automatic master cylinder resevior from ebay for $30 delivered. This way you don't have to cap off the manual one for a cleaner install.

2010GBGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010GBGT View Post
I plan on doing the same thing with the clutch/brake fluid. If you're looking, I bought a used automatic master cylinder resevior from ebay for $30 delivered. This way you don't have to cap off the manual one for a cleaner install.

Thanks for the heads up, I already purchased the Shelby reservoir. I just liked how it fit without drilling any holes and just looks factory. I know it's not ideal to just plug the master cylinder and I feel confident it will be ok.

2010 2014 Ford Mustang ISO Clutch Remote Reservoir Kit | eBay
olerodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I've never noticed any increased intake sound with the tube. Maybe I'm just deaf.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010GBGT View Post
Not crazy about the sound tube all together. Mine has been in a box in my garage since I bought my mustang. It doesn't help performace and just clutters up the engine bay.

If you have GT500 axlebacks, maybe remove the resonators. Heard some YouTube clips when I was deciding and that setup sounded very nice inside and out.

I actually did the resonator delete a few weeks ago. It sounds great. No drone at all.

Sent from my XT1096 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcityf6b View Post

The other thought I had was that is was more a difference in engine sound between the 4.6 and the Coyote. This

Or maybe I'm just nuts. Or this

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'll also suggest maybe on or more of the baffles in the tube were removed. at each end are small foam inserts removable for more sound.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Cool Sound tube delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
When I bought my 14 GT TrakPak it had a CAI on it with sound tube hooked up. I have twin tip GT500 mufflers on it and notice no noise from the interior and I like the sound of the GT500's a lot better than my stock mufflers.
There is a guy on Ebay selling everything for $12. I ordered it just so I have everything here at the house and don't have to drive for an hour to get to a hardware store.
2011 2014 Mustang 5 0 Sound Tube Delete Kit | eBay

To me the 5.0 in my 14 has a totally different sound than the 4.6DOHC in my 97 Cobra.
I wished I would have seen that!
I ended up following somebody's post and the damn frustums (if I remember correctly from chemistry class) wouldn't fit. Ended up getting a 1" & 1/2 pipe plug (clamped) worked great but I had more than 12 bucs into it and 2 trips to Lowes and another to the hardware store.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai