Custom made group buys Shift Knob in particular - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Custom made group buys Shift Knob in particular

I really want something other than a ball style shift knob. There is a Steda one I like but they do not make it for the 11-14 year (see below). I got the idea to just one custom made on a CNC machine. I spoke with a guy about making what I want. I would actually Engrave something custom in it and that would be an ption for anyone. He would then Kericote it. That is what the do to gun parts. Similar to powder coat but it is more durable and ceramic. Problem... going to cost me like $300-325. I was told that if more people ordered then we could get the cost down allot. There are 50+ colors of Kericote and engraving is optional but custom. Any interest?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	184481  
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Having had a metal shift knob in a previous vehicle... you'll want to be careful with it after your car's been sitting out in high heat. They get rather hot.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^That's no joke. I used to keep a clean "mechanics" glove in my car. I used to have to put the glove on to shift for the first several minutes.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Having had a metal shift knob in a previous vehicle... you'll want to be careful with it after your car's been sitting out in high heat. They get rather hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoody View Post
^That's no joke. I used to keep a clean "mechanics" glove in my car. I used to have to put the glove on to shift for the first several minutes.
You guys have both got me thinking now. What to do what to do. Florida aint cool either. I just want something unique but inline with my overall looks theme.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I had a pool ball shift knob once, I got locked out of a gear which grinded the clutch and the knob shattered because it was like 5 degrees out. Driving home with just the bolt sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I'd stay away from a metal shift knob, it will get very hot in the sun. I switched to the Boss knob and have zero issues now. Unfortunately it's not the unique solution you're looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2010GBGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
My Hurst knob gets pretty Damn hot. Can't imagine a metal one
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

There is a Steeda that Ty on here helped me figure out will actually work for the 2013 GT. BUT now you guys have me rethinking the metal. I am sure that Kerikote or Powder Coat would help but still be hot. I really like this one from American Muscle... but $165. am I missing something?

Stainless Steel Delrin Wrapped Mustang Shift Knob - Black (11-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping
Old 06-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No problem here with a metal shifter. I have a Hurst Pistol grip and because it is polished I keep a low cut sock on it to keep it looking good. I easily take that off for car cruises and shows. Perhaps a sock would cure the problem. P.S. I also have a metal shift knob on my Ranger with no sock and no problems winter or summer.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

^^That shift knob is sexy as hell dude. But $165 just for a shift knob? Get real...
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
My Hurst knob gets pretty Damn hot. Can't imagine a metal one
Back in the 70s, I had a Hurst shifter with a hand grip T-handle in my '66. On summer days it took 30 minutes with the a/c to be able to hold that thing. Stay away from metal knobs if you live south of Canada.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT