Hood vibrating at high speeds - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hood vibrating at high speeds

2013 GT. 38k miles on it. This started happening to me recently while accelerating at any rate past 80mph and gets more violent as I keep going. I have no what idea what this could be and its kinda scary because it feels like the whole front of the car is vibrating. Anyone heard of this?

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Are you sure it's the hood or just the front end in general?
Old 06-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Have your tires balanced.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

That is what i was going to suggest. Lol
Old 06-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
threw a wheel weight? Inspect your tires

Have you changed ANYTHING?
Old 06-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
threw a wheel weight? Inspect your tires

Have you changed ANYTHING?

Haven't changed a thing. Maybe threw a weight but would something as small as that cause this much of a vibration? And from the hood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Are you sure it's the hood or just the front end in general?

100% the hood I watch it vibrate up and down more and more as I go faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
Have your tires balanced.

Maybe so

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Old 06-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You would be shocked at how much vibration that can be caused by a single wheel weight depending on how big it is. And some serious vibration from just one wheel could absolutely make your hood shake. I'd start by taking it to a tire place to have them rotated and/or rebalanced. That would be the cheapest and easiest thing to check.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoody View Post
You would be shocked at how much vibration that can be caused by a single wheel weight depending on how big it is. And some serious vibration from just one wheel could absolutely make your hood shake. I'd start by taking it to a tire place to have them rotated and/or rebalanced. That would be the cheapest and easiest thing to check.

Thanks I appreciate it

Old 06-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Could also be a bad tire! I've had a tire go bad with a belt in the tire break and causes the tire to just be a little out of round and it will shake the whole car so bad you'd think the car was falling apart!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm still having this problem. It's not the wheel balancing and the hood isn't loose at all. Starting to get pissed because I can't drive my 2013 Mustang Gt past 80mph without it shaking like a piece of ****

Old 06-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

On the bright side though, it could keep you from getting a nasty ticket. 2013 5.0 with the governor set at 80mph...
Old 06-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Probably a stupid question but have you checked the hood latch and made sure that the hood is closed all the way and made sure that it's actually latching? What about the little rubber hood adjuster bumpers? Can you loosen them up a bit to make your hood sit tighter to the car?
Old 06-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm serious! Check tire for roundness!! A bad tire well do exactly what your say it's doing!!

Old 06-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post
I'm serious! Check tire for roundness!! A bad tire well do exactly what your say it's doing!!

Okay what do you mean by roundness lol and it doesn't explain why the ride is completely smooth and normal up to 75-80 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoody View Post
Probably a stupid question but have you checked the hood latch and made sure that the hood is closed all the way and made sure that it's actually latching? What about the little rubber hood adjuster bumpers? Can you loosen them up a bit to make your hood sit tighter to the car?

I have checked the latch and the rubber stoppers but someone told me I might have not adjusted them enough

Old 06-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

As i said before! Had a belt in the tire that broke and caused the tire to be out of round! Had it happen to me. It depends how bad it is!' If it's just started it hasn't separated enough to in the tire to really show until faster speeds! If really bad, you'll notice it doing just 5mph

Old 06-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
Check under the car ، it's the engine cover Maybe broke
MooDy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #17

I know that feeling same thing happened to me. The problem on mine was the bumper bein loose cause the tabs on the wind deflector under the car broke n they help hold the bumper. After the dealership replaced that part the hood didn't shake anymore.
13racered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13racered View Post
I know that feeling same thing happened to me. The problem on mine was the bumper bein loose cause the tabs on the wind deflector under the car broke n they help hold the bumper. After the dealership replaced that part the hood didn't shake anymore.

What part? This could be my problem because my front bumper does seem a little loose

Old 06-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
What part? This could be my problem because my front bumper does seem a little loose

I can't remember what the part was called exactly either splash shield or wind deflector but it's the part that under the bumper between the bumper n splitter. Basically the shield that's under the radiator. It has screws that help hold the bumper in place at high speeds.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13racered View Post
I can't remember what the part was called exactly either splash shield or wind deflector but it's the part that under the bumper between the bumper n splitter. Basically the shield that's under the radiator. It has screws that help hold the bumper in place at high speeds.

Yeaaaaa I think I might have lost some of those screws/push tabs while taking my bumper on and off multiple times.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Let me make a correction: my wind deflector is not hanging off so it must be that

Old 06-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #22

Yeah I'm pretty sure now that ur bumper is loose like mine was. I couldn't believe a loose bumper could cause my hood to shake like it did. Hopefully u get ur fixed soon. I know how it feels to not be able to drive over 80 without the hood shaking.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
Let me make a correction: my wind deflector is not hanging off so it must be that

Yeah I'm pretty sure now that ur bumper is loose like mine was. I couldn't believe a loose bumper could cause my hood to shake like it did. Hopefully u get ur fixed soon. I know how it feels to not be able to drive over 80 without the hood shaking.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Okay I solved the problem myself. I'm happy I did because I would have been paying them to put 2 screws in the splash gaurd to keep it from hanging. At first I thought this little solution couldn't be the fix to such a big problem but I was wrong. Took the car up to 80 and drives as smooth as ever. It just goes to show how crazy it is that 2 little screws holding a piece of plastic can throw the car off like that at high speeds. Thanks for the help guys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT