Installation of H-Pipe - a couple of tips - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Installation of H-Pipe - a couple of tips

I know there are many threads about an off-road 'H' or 'X' and which is better. I decided to go with Lethal Performances 'H' pipe. Great construction and fit perfectly. The purpose of my post is to give a few extra pointers when installing your off-road pipe. I'm not a master mechanic (elementary school principal by day), but enjoy turning wrench on my car. I found I had to do a few small different things compared to what is mentioned on Youtube installation videos. For the novice to intermediate mechanic, I'm hoping this helps.

1.) Already a given, but PB Blaster on the bolts/nuts the night before.

2.) Use 6-point sockets instead of 12. This made a world of difference on the PITA passenger side nut.

3.) Speaking of the passenger side nut, use 3/8 extensions and not 1/2 extensions. By using the 3/8, you will be able to fit your extensions in the small space allotted and at the right angle to get to the nut. The size of 1/2 extension does not allow this and your will have to use a swivel.

I hope this info makes it easier for some. The installation was not easy by having the car on jack stands and doing it by myself. I am now a professional contortionist.

Now time for an AED tune!
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'll be adding one of the Lethal H-pipes this year, thanks for the helpful install tips.
Nater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Awesome work bro! Nice to see an educator on. I work for the department of education in Kentucky.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
so what was the outcome? Sound and performance gain?
rwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I think one of the best investments you can make is a deep set of 6-point sockets, in US and Metric sizes, (3/8 inch drive) with a good wrench with a head that pivots. A bunch of extensions are a must to get to hard to reach places. Get a swivel joint to go between the extensions and you are set for 90% of your jobs. Put them on the list for birthday and Christmas presents and tell the wife exactly what to buy. Sears has always been a good place as Craftsman is guaranteed for life and I have busted a few sockets. Unfortunately they are on the verge of going under so any quality socket is probably ok. SK, SnapOn, etc. I have done a lot of exhaust work over the years and 6-point is the only way to go.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Do you have a drone with the h pipe?
val916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just starting with datalogging, so I am unsure of performance gains. Of course it feels a little faster, but nothing huge. I think the tune will complete the package.

It is a catless h pipe with s full 3 inch exhaust with no resonators and only race bullets as mufflers. It is very loud and I do get drone around 2k rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Awesome work bro! Nice to see an educator on. I work for the department of education in Kentucky.
There is a dept of ed in Kentucky???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
I think one of the best investments you can make is a deep set of 6-point sockets, in US and Metric sizes, (3/8 inch drive) with a good wrench with a head that pivots. A bunch of extensions are a must to get to hard to reach places. Get a swivel joint to go between the extensions and you are set for 90% of your jobs. Put them on the list for birthday and Christmas presents and tell the wife exactly what to buy. Sears has always been a good place as Craftsman is guaranteed for life and I have busted a few sockets. Unfortunately they are on the verge of going under so any quality socket is probably ok. SK, SnapOn, etc. I have done a lot of exhaust work over the years and 6-point is the only way to go.
They're dirt cheap at Harbor Freight as well. I got a 301 piece toolbox for $150 there but just a few socket sets will be like $11 each.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Working for the department of education is no easy task!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
...SK, SnapOn, etc...
As an addition to all my Craftsman tools, I have grown rather fond of Kobalt tools found at Lowe's stores. They have the same warranty as Craftsman and Lowe's are everywhere.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Kobalts are not bad but having twisted off a few 1/4" adapters which never happened with Craftsman and for damn sure not SnapOn... they are not as durable. Why I use the Pittsburgh stuff from HF for "cheap" tools. Same lifetime warranty and guarantee they are made in the same place as Kobalt/Husky.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Kobalts are not bad but having twisted off a few 1/4" adapters which never happened with Craftsman and for damn sure not SnapOn... they are not as durable. Why I use the Pittsburgh stuff from HF for "cheap" tools. Same lifetime warranty and guarantee they are made in the same place as Kobalt/Husky.
Good to know Scotty, as I have only bought a couple of Kobalt wrench sets to keep in my cars. All my sockets and accessories are Craftsman. The difference for me is that I pass three Lowe's stores to get to HF.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol yeah convenience is key. If you do ever break one, you'll see how the metal has that powder forged look to it which I'm sure it is vs legit forged like the higher end stuff.

That said, I've done multiple transmission and hub changes with HF tools zero issues. The 3/8 and especially 1/2" stuff is pretty durable.

This is the set I got for $150 on sale.

301 Pc Professional Mechanic's Tool Set

Those 1/2 tools have been a godsend and having all the allen/star keys and little screwdrivers and misc things you never think you'd need are really nice.

Only gripe was the selection of box wrenches but that was another $10 per set along with the $11 breaker bar and I've been good to go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT