Lowering springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lowering springs

Hey I'm thinking of purchasing the H&R super sport lowering spring and was wondering what you guys think is it worth the money because i love the drop it gives you: it drops you 1.7 in the front and 2.3 in the rear also thinking about just throwing these on with stock struts and shocks with just an adjustable bmr panhard bar and bar control arms.
karanvirgill5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 01:01 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Good choice on springs.... One thing you may want is caster/camber plates. Much wider range in alignment adjustment than stock.

Oh and your stock shocks and struts won't last very long with them on. And over decent sized bumps you may have bottoming out issues of the shocks and struts. Just to warn you. I always say just do it once and do it right.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
H&R are good springs and for my car were a little too low. With my 265/40/19's in front and 285/35/20's in the rear there wouldn't have been much clearance.
On a note, Les Schwab Tire centers here in the West have ditched Eibach and now only supply/install H&R springs.
I have to agree Soccerluvr4, if you are going with H&R I'd replace the front strut mounts/struts along with the rear shocks.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I was going to go that route but found it'd be too many issues for a DD around town. I hate bottoming or and even on the Eibach sport lines (1.3F/2.0R) I still catch most speed bumps. I find the super line to be a better compromise

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
slimguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

I've had my Sportlines on for over 5000 miles and have never bottomed them out and I do a lot of driving in town...........also have a couple of 1 and 2 mile stretches of open country two lane back roads between me and town......................nothing like redline in 5th gear!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just put the eibachs in. I am getting noise from my stock struts. They aren't meant to sit lower and you risk the noise I'm hearing. If I could do it over, I would have replaced struts as well.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Yeah, they're too low for the stock shocks and struts. The Koni yellows are a perfect match IMO.

slimguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

I agree about the stock struts with the lowered springs and OE strut mounts although I've had my OE TrakPak struts/mounts in the car since it was lowered.......which was 5000 miles a go.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
doyouevenforum

I'm on edge about the ford racing p springs. 1" drop front and back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I'll have some BMR springs for sale in a few days. I would put them right at the top as far as quality, ride, and looks go.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
eibachs are a good ride
MustangRoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimguns View Post
I was going to go that route but found it'd be too many issues for a DD around town. I hate bottoming or and even on the Eibach sport lines (1.3F/2.0R) I still catch most speed bumps. I find the super line to be a better compromise

I don't see how you guys are hitting things with a small drop? Not trying to be negative but I hear it a lot and don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
I don't see how you guys are hitting things with a small drop? Not trying to be negative but I hear it a lot and don't get it.

2 inches in the back isn't a "small" drop.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post

Agreed. 500 miles with them on for me and haven't had a problem
Old 06-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Granted it is a 1/2" more than 1-1/2", and really depends on what size tires and wheels you have.
When I had my stock Brembo wheels (245x40/19's) I noticed speed bumps and driveways a little more than with the GT500 wheels and the 265x40/19's in front and the 285x35/20's in the rear.
For me, I wanted to have the tire fill up the wheel opening as much as possible. I have a friend with a 2011 TrakPak car and he is using the ProLines which are only 1.5".........when they are parked side by side his still looks high to me. It just comes down to personal taste.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
H&R are good springs and for my car were a little too low. With my 265/40/19's in front and 285/35/20's in the rear there wouldn't have been much clearance.
On a note, Les Schwab Tire centers here in the West have ditched Eibach and now only supply/install H&R springs.
I have to agree Soccerluvr4, if you are going with H&R I'd replace the front strut mounts/struts along with the rear shocks.
Do you think with wheels that are 20x9 in the front and 20x10 in the rear the wheel will rub also the rear offset is +45mm and the front is +35mm and yes I'm going with koni struts with that will they rub ?
Old 06-22-2015, 11:44 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanvirgill5.0 View Post
Do you think with wheels that are 20x9 in the front and 20x10 in the rear the wheel will rub also the rear offset is +45mm and the front is +35mm and yes I'm going with koni struts with that will they rub ?
The wheels make a difference, but it's the size of tires that will determine if they rub or not.
What drop do you have, 1", 1.5" or 2"?
Old 06-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
The wheels make a difference, but it's the size of tires that will determine if they rub or not.
What drop do you have, 1", 1.5" or 2"?
1.7 in the front and 2.4 in the rear that's what the springs say
Old 06-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

I had forgotten you were going with H&R springs.
My car has the GT500 TrakPak wheels which are 9.5" wide front and rear. My fronts are 19" and the rears are 20".
I can only guess so maybe someone that has 20" wheels all of the way around can chime in with some suggestions.
Since my fronts are 265x40/19's and I have about 3/4" of inch clearance with the Sportlines which are about 1.5" instead of your 1.7". I would think that 265x35/20's would work as they have about the same dimensions as my 265x40's and you are offset 35mm where mine are 45mm. In the rear I would think that 305x35/20's would fit easily and maybe even 315x30/20's would work as your rear wheels are 45mm offset and mine are 55mm offset. I only have about 1/2 clearance in the rear as my wheels are pretty much flush with the body.
Just my educated guess here.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #20
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by karanvirgill5.0 View Post
Hey I'm thinking of purchasing the H&R super sport lowering spring and was wondering what you guys think is it worth the money because i love the drop it gives you: it drops you 1.7 in the front and 2.3 in the rear also thinking about just throwing these on with stock struts and shocks with just an adjustable bmr panhard bar and bar control arms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Good choice on springs.... One thing you may want is caster/camber plates. Much wider range in alignment adjustment than stock.

Oh and your stock shocks and struts won't last very long with them on. And over decent sized bumps you may have bottoming out issues of the shocks and struts. Just to warn you. I always say just do it once and do it right.
karanvirgill5 - Welcome to MustangEvolution - Once again the suspension guru known as Soccerluvr has beat me to the punch by about a mile.

Everything he's said above is definitely a must!

Caster Camber Plates - These guys are going to keep your suspension geometry in check and they'll prevent you burning through your front tires prematurely from the inside out.

Shocks & Struts - If you're going to do springs, it's a great idea to do struts and shocks as well. Just as soccer said you could experience bottoming out every now and then which isn't the end of the world but it's going to put stress on your suspension and it's also really disconcerting when you're driving around. From a performance aspect they're going to work hand in hand with the springs to get you the best performance possible.

BMR's Double Adjustable Panhard Bar - I can't say nice enough things about this product, the quality, their business - You'd think I'd be getting a T-shirt in the mail for how often I suggest them. It's a must and it's will help immensely working in conjunction with the Springs, Struts and Shocks along with centering your rear. It's a win-win.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT