Problem with 6r-80 with a tsb - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2015, 03:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Problem with 6r-80 with a tsb

Had this exact issue occur tonight on my 11 gt. Just rolled over 40k. Was out making a couple test hits to test the new suspension/tire setup.. Was raising the rpm slowly on the foot break to see what it could hold and all the sudden the wrench light comes on, speedo color illuminated all red, (gauges set to blue tach stayed blue) miles, trip, all that info showed blank and my low fuel light, and some others came on. Was a loud clunk putting the car from P to D and it seemed to start in what felt like third gear. Once I got it moving to limp it home it seemed to shift into the remaining higher gears correctly bit the low gears were out. Trans temp was 189 at the highest. So did some research when I got home and came across this tsb. Shut it down and cycled the key and it seems normal. Wondering if anyone else ever experienced this issue and should I expect ford to give me **** about covering the tsb under the 5/60 powertrain warranty because I have a tune and converter? Not really directly related obviously. Here's the tsb....

FORD TSB ARTICLE # 13-4-92 Issue Some 2011-2013 Mustangs equipped with a 6R80 transmission and built on or before 4/8/2013 may exhibit a transmission engagement in higher (5th) gear when starting. The wrench indicator and/or the seat belt minder may be illuminated, the speedometer reads zero and the odometer displays dashes while driving. Symptoms may clear after an ignition key cycle. Diagnostics trouble codes (DTCs) P0720 and P0722 may or may not be stored in the powertrain control module (PCM).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 03:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Also the speedo gauge wasn't working at all. Just stayed at 0. Was able to read my speed using the x4 though.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Nobody?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I think tsb is covered no matter what. That happened to me when I picked up my friend who had dropped his car off earlier. Thing was I picked him up at a ford dealership he worked at and made it 50 ft before car screwed up and tried getting us hit when I went to pull out. So we just turned right around. But I am under warranty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkreg View Post
I think tsb is covered no matter what. That happened to me when I picked up my friend who had dropped his car off earlier. Thing was I picked him up at a ford dealership he worked at and made it 50 ft before car screwed up and tried getting us hit when I went to pull out. So we just turned right around. But I am under warranty

Did it just happen once or reoccurring? Just normal driving when it happened to you?

Old 06-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The big failure once. Normal driving/pulling out. But I noticed beforehand the car shifting weird around 40 but the trans guy says he has no idea what that is do idk if that is just **** tune from ford because ot still happens on occasion.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

All good since the repair?

Old 06-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No more starting in 5th. Has been a few weeks only but service guy said it's completely new harness or whatever from completely new distributer/company

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT