Downshifting stuttering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Downshifting stuttering

I get stuttering/bouncing/bucking when downshifting so I avoid downshifting at all costs and coast until I need to go into gear. It's not all the time but at lower speeds it is more frequent. Upshifting is ok never grind gears but the manual trans is noisy when shifting. What could fix downshifts and what may be the problem? 19k miles on trans.
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Downshifting stuttering

I don't know how well you drive manual but it could be driver error with the clutch. If you're a solid driver and it's mechanical take it to the dealer if it's obvious they should be able to square it away.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You never know could be me. I can upshift aggressively without grinding, I try to shift as smoothly and quietly as possible without too much noise. It may need to go to dealer.
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I'm not sure if you are experienced and I don't mean to insult if you are. The key to smooth downshifts is rev matching. If the speed of the engine is too slow for the gear that you selected, the downshift will not be smooth. Remember, when you select a lower gear, the engine speed is going to increase. If you are not doing this, try it...when you downshift, push in the clutch, tap the accelerator so that the engine speed increases (don't hold it, just tap it). Shift into the lower gear. As you release the accelerator, and the engine speed starts to decrease, release the clutch. It takes some practice to match the speed of the engine to the gear but once you figure it out, your downshifts will be smoother. If you are already doing this and the shifts are still not smooth, then certainly take it to the dealer.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No problem but I've read about rev matching and you shouldn't have to in a modern car this day and age for all downshifts that's overkill in my opinion. I try to downshift at 1200rpm? Is this good?
Old 06-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Downshifting stuttering

No its because some cars can automatically Rev match. Our cars do not Rev match. The rpms you need to get close to while down shifting depend where your at before doing so. When i down shift im not looking at the tach I go of of the sound and feel of the car. It takes time to get used to the car and how it likes to be driven. I had a bit of a learning curve with the 14 as the last mustang I drove was a 1998 cobra and they are very different in how the clutch likes to engage and how it shifts. It sounds like you just need more experience driving a manual and you will get the feel of it. Also if you have a friend with a similar car or is an experienced driver in sure they could show you and that could be beneficial.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Old 06-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Also you can down shift alot higher than 1200 rpm. I use down shifting to slow the car more than I use brakes.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Old 06-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I don't solely rely on tach when shifting and try to listen to the way the car sounds when shifting so perhaps more experience or some modification from the dealer? It's not to the point that I need to take it in it just slightly inconvenient. But aren't all manual trans to some extent.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Also you can down shift alot higher than 1200 rpm. I use down shifting to slow the car more than I use brakes.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Exactly. It just seems to be the 'sweet spot' but I downshift between 2-3k just depends how fast I am traveling. Once it hits 1k it seems all power is lost and just a tad too low.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by blmustang01 View Post
Exactly. It just seems to be the 'sweet spot' but I downshift between 2-3k just depends how fast I am traveling. Once it hits 1k it seems all power is lost and just a tad too low.
With the 3.73 in my 2015 GT, I spend very little time in first gear, I can go into 2d driving pretty slow without lugging. Like many have said, you get the feel for it after awhile.
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Downshifting stuttering

Quote:

Rollin' in my 5.0

Brakes are cheaper than the transmission, I'll just coast when im close to a stop, then use the brakes. If I'm doing a turn I'll just rev match, so when I need to step on it I'm good to go. I'll just never use the transmission to slow the car. My opinion tho.
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflections View Post
With the 3.73 in my 2015 GT, I spend very little time in first gear, I can go into 2d driving pretty slow without lugging. Like many have said, you get the feel for it after awhile.

I also have the 3.73 but in a 14 gt, if I'm driving slow I prefer to stay on 1st. If I'm in 2nd I hear a little grinding between 1,500-1750rpms, also if you let go of the gas it will buck a lot. So what I usually do if i let go of the gas I'll just press on the clutch to avoid it.
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
Brakes are cheaper than the transmission, I'll just coast when im close to a stop, then use the brakes. If I'm doing a turn I'll just rev match, so when I need to step on it I'm good to go. I'll just never use the transmission to slow the car. My opinion tho.

Been doing it for years and never had a problem.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Old 06-22-2015, 04:49 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

BLM, try and find someone near you who has one and compare.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Not so sound mean, but it honestly just sounds like you need a driver mod. Maybe get with a friend or a nearby forum member who can give you an in person tutorial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just_A_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
No problem but I've read about rev matching and you shouldn't have to in a modern car this day and age for all downshifts that's overkill in my opinion. I try to downshift at 1200rpm? Is this good?
You may not have to do it, but you should be doing it.

Do you value your synchros? Rev match.

Like someone earlier said, the brakes are designed to slow down the car... your engine / transmission is not.

Here is some unsolicited advice that's always worked me.

First, find a chart of your RPM / gear / speed ratio.

This way you know what the top of each gear is to avoid downshifting into a gear and shooting a rod / piston through your hood.

Second, spend some time slowly going through each gear. Pay attention to how fast your are going in first gear and at what RPM. Do the same for second, third, fourth, etc.

Try to memorize a few MPH/RPM/Gear combinations that are relevant to your driving. This will also serve as a reference point so you don't have to memorize every MPH / RPM combo.

For example, in my car I know that 50mph in 3rd gear is exactly 4k RPMS.

I can easily be coasting along in 6th gear and drop to 3rd knowing that I need the RPM's to be at 4k to rev match.

Knowing this I can drop from 6th to 3rd and bump the RPMs slightly higher to 4300 RPMS and take off like a rocket at 50mph.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_GT View Post
Not so sound mean, but it honestly just sounds like you need a driver mod. Maybe get with a friend or a nearby forum member who can give you an in person tutorial.
Maybe idk lol. I've been driving manual for years just fine before this car. I may sound inexperienced however I can drive just fine. I tend to downshift between 1k-1.5k and upshift at 2k-2.5k. I just stick to that method and skip gears when coasting to a near stop back into 2nd gear for example or just go through the entire range of gears or 1-3-5. Doesn't matter. I just listen, react and respond to the car and driven it this way for manuals. The thing is with me I never experiment on the clutch popping the clutch etc. I just use what works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
You may not have to do it, but you should be doing it.

Do you value your synchros? Rev match.

Like someone earlier said, the brakes are designed to slow down the car... your engine / transmission is not.

Here is some unsolicited advice that's always worked me.

First, find a chart of your RPM / gear / speed ratio.

This way you know what the top of each gear is to avoid downshifting into a gear and shooting a rod / piston through your hood.

Second, spend some time slowly going through each gear. Pay attention to how fast your are going in first gear and at what RPM. Do the same for second, third, fourth, etc.

Try to memorize a few MPH/RPM/Gear combinations that are relevant to your driving. This will also serve as a reference point so you don't have to memorize every MPH / RPM combo.

For example, in my car I know that 50mph in 3rd gear is exactly 4k RPMS.

I can easily be coasting along in 6th gear and drop to 3rd knowing that I need the RPM's to be at 4k to rev match.

Knowing this I can drop from 6th to 3rd and bump the RPMs slightly higher to 4300 RPMS and take off like a rocket at 50mph.
I was never taught how to rev match this may seem easy to you however it is pretty foreign to me. I've read about it but it didn't seem like it was necessary since I can drive well imho. I can find videos on this for further clarification but I just drive the car all the time no issues. Question what do you mean by letting the engine slow down the car? Why is this bad? I coast ALL the time then throw it gently back into gear. And at what point does one throw a rod like going into 1st gear at 50 mph which of course is a fatal mistake for the car lol. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

He was trying to say if your hauling butt in say 4th gear in the higher rpms and you down shift it can make the car over Rev which could lead to engine damage. But that is a pretty careless way to drive.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Old 06-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He was trying to say if your hauling butt in say 4th gear in the higher rpms and you down shift it can make the car over Rev which could lead to engine damage. But that is a pretty careless way to drive.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Hmm, that's hard to envision doing something that stupid. I would never ever downshift in high rpm but go into neutral or upshift.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

I've done the 6th to 3rd down shift......before I learned the tight gates/strong centering spring. I know I ain't the only one.

I tend to use engine braking but only downshift to do it if I intend to accel afterwards EX: hooning through the twistys!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I've done the 6th to 3rd down shift......before I learned the tight gates/strong centering spring. I know I ain't the only one.

I tend to use engine braking but only downshift to do it if I intend to accel afterwards EX: hooning through the twistys!
3rd gear is narrow. Hate it. For some reason just a little off and I am hitting a 'bar' or 'wall'. Someone please tell me what this is lol. You would think the shifting would be seemless in such a new car.

Yes, I do complain a lot about the shifting in this car but it is not the best out of the factory that is for sure. A barton shifter/bracket cured all grinding but seems like I need more modding.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Downshifting stuttering

Quote:
3rd gear is narrow. Hate it. For some reason just a little off and I am hitting a 'bar' or 'wall'. Someone please tell me what this is lol. You would think the shifting would be seemless in such a new car.

Yes, I do complain a lot about the shifting in this car but it is not the best out of the factory that is for sure. A barton shifter/bracket cured all grinding but seems like I need more modding.

Mine doesn't do that. What about a bushing insert? That helped mine

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:34 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

What worked for me (even b4 I put in the MGW) was when going from 1 to 2 is to pull down and to the left. If you are shifting into 3 or 4 just move the shifter forward or backwards and NOT guide left or right. Don't aim for 3rd/4th so much let the springs do the L/R for you. Let the centering spring guide it into the 3/4 plane. When trying for 1st/2nd or 5th/6th compensate for the spring. It is fussy and you need to not be sloppy when you shift. I Like the MGW but for me the biggest improvement were motor mounts but they added a good bit of NVH. They helped most when going from 1-2 under load around corners but also helped me hit 3rd better.

Practice the 4th (or 5th) downshift into 3rd for two lane passing moves and for fun. 3rd gear in the V6 is the monster gear and it's amazing what the 3.7 will do in a fairly heavy car.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:41 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The gates are not narrow on these cars their actually quite open. Now the lotus elise had some narrow gates.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Old 06-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

I wouldn't know as I'd never make it into one......
Old 06-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I wouldn't know as I'd never make it into one......

Lol I was given instructions on how to get in and out. Not the best daily car but my dad seems to love it.

Rollin' in my 5.0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT