BBK SHORTY - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
BBK SHORTY

Hey Mustang fam, I'm thinking bout getting a pair of BBK shortly headers for my 5.0.
I really don't want LT that's why I'm choosing shorts. Has anyone had any problems with them or anything I'm kinda scared to get it done. The reason I chose BBK is because I don't really like the sound and price of the cooks.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
infamousw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I don't personally know, but I've heard BBK has quality issues. And shorties don't have much power gain from what I know either.
RJTheIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

if youre going through the trouble of doing a header install, firstly dont do BBK's, and secondly, just do long tubes
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Shortys won't give off really any power at all just noise, that's why they're considerably cheaper than the LT headers. BBK is a good brand the ceramic ones have nothing but good reviews on AM ppl have there own preference tho, go with what your heart desires haha
jkelt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelt5 View Post
BBK is a good brand
........said no one ever
Old 06-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
A lot of work or money, depending on if you do the work yourself, for such small gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

Region: Texas
I installed the stainless ones on my '12 and it was a major operation in a garage with no help! They've been great so far though haven't had any problems with them. Only thing I was pissed about is apparently the thread pitch changed on the header bolts sometime in 2012 or so and they sent me the wrong ones but I didn't know it. I made the mistake of assuming BBK would send me correct ones. I tried for 30 mins to get the darn bolt in there and eventually (and unfortunately), it did catch. I could tell something wasn't right by how hard it was to force in. I checked the pitch and sure enough, it wasn't the same as the ones I had removed. So basically I screwed up one of the bolts. BBK basically just said "oops" and sent me the correct bolts. I guess it was crazy of me to expect them to do anything more than that but I guess it's my fault for not checking? Just be aware!
beef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef97 View Post
Only thing I was pissed about is apparently the thread pitch changed on the header bolts sometime in 2012 or so and they sent me the wrong ones but I didn't know it.
stock hardware, there is no reason to use anything else

sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Old 06-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #9

I used the bolts that they sent me with the headers
beef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

There is absolutely no point in doing shorty headers. Why would you even waste your time and money?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-23-2015, 11:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
There is absolutely no point in doing shorty headers. Why would you even waste your time and money?
some states don't allow long tubes, i know cali doesn't so someone like me is forced to go with shorties.
deadpandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I have an article around the house from back when the 5.0 was new. They were interviewing the engineers behind the motor, and even the engineers stated they tested aftermarket shorties up against their own and saw no gains. They're as good as shorties you can get right out of the box. Long tubes are really the only way to go for power.

They also spoke about all the old engines and how they had to put a notch in one of the header tubes just so the dipstick could fit. Well the header engineers won over the dipstick engineers and they were forced to put the dipstick where it's at now because they were tired of building headers around the dipstick.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
^^LMAO DIPSTICK ENGINEERS

That was accidentally funny. Bout time the header engineers got a win!

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Speaking as a V6 owner, (YEAH, Loud Applause Please), I have the BBK Ceramic Shorties, Catted X-Pipe and Ford Racing Sport Axle-Backs. Love the setup and less heat buildup, since the stock manifolds are heavy cast iron.

Shorties: When it comes to ease of installation, shorties are where it’s at. They can be easily installed by removing a few simple components if that and can easily be done at home. In addition, shorty headers can easily mount up to your existing stock mid-pipe with no customization. If installation is not your concern, consider this: Shorty headers, unlike long tube headers, stay close to the engine, virtually giving no chance of bottoming out on lowered vehicles. The down side of shorty headers on a Mustang is that you’re not going to see as high performance gains as compared to a long tube header setup.

Long Tubes: A few drawbacks of long tube headers as mention above are fitment, clearance, and installation. Often when fitting long tube headers into your Mustang an upgraded mid-pipe needs to be installed. Clearance issues—depending on how dropped your Mustang is—can arise on lowered vehicles with long tubes due to their lower exiting design.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #15
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Shorties

I have done the shorties, BBK.
According to their curves there was better scavenging at the lower end, and the HP gain was on the lower end.
Installation.
Driver side was very easy, you have to remove the motor mount and steering shaft.
Cat bolts can all be had from the top once intake tubes are removed.
Remove the cats, follow BBK instructions, the are good. Disconnecting rear O2 sensor is tough.
Driver side:
Battery has to come out, starter is tough. upper manifold bolt has a hose in the way, wrenched of with a bent 15 mm. Lower mount bolts are studs, 13 mm one holds the Auto tranny lines, the other holds O2 sensor harness ground. The terminal lug broke on me and I had to replace it. Not fun in limited space. Also #2 solderless lug is not easy to find. Ace hardware carries them.
The header will not go in unless you turn it correctly. The flange must be horizontal. Took a number of attempts to get it up in there. Finally broke the video down frame by frame and recognized how you have to turn it and it falls in. Did them myself over a course of ten days on the garage floor. I was in no hurry, but certainly can be done in a weekend. Please no hater posts about short tubes. And Ford has Engineers for everything. One of my engineer buddies has been in and out of lubricants and did a stint as a PCV engineer.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #16
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Sorry, get an 18" extension, don't try to use multiple extensions, too much force lost in the connections. Also, soak the living $h!t out of the nuts on the cats, broke one of the studs, the last one. The studs are pressed in and we couldn't punch it out. Drilled it and welded a s/s 3/8 in nut on the back of the cat flange. worked fine but was a B!tc# to start. I used a soldering torch with MAPP gas (yellow bottle) and a pipe wrench to get the O2 sensors out.
Antiseize on everything when you reassemble. Finally, BBK gives you both sets of bolts so don't worry.
If you need any help send me a personal message.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Lol!!! The car comes with 409ss, tubular, tuned shorty headers.

Guys have run solid 9's with the stock headers, resonaters, and mufflers.
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpandan View Post
some states don't allow long tubes, i know cali doesn't so someone like me is forced to go with shorties.
Because of cats? You just run high flow cats on the h pipe. The design of the header won't change what emissions you engine puts out...

Old 06-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Because of cats? You just run high flow cats on the h pipe. The design of the header won't change what emissions you engine puts out...

This right here... No idea why people shell out hundreds of dollars on shorties that net no noticeable gains just to "save" a few dollars... It pays to do your homework and be patient. The stock headers on the new 5.0's aren't like the older model engine where they're very constrictive need some help to breathe.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
This right here... No idea why people shell out hundreds of dollars on shorties that net no noticeable gains just to "save" a few dollars... It pays to do your homework and be patient. The stock headers on the new 5.0's aren't like the older model engine where they're very constrictive need some help to breathe.

Yes and no to a point.
The stock tri-y headers are good, they start choking around 7300+. A set of kooks shorties will flow till 8k. I don't run long tubes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Yes and no to a point.
The stock tri-y headers are good, they start choking around 7300+. A set of kooks shorties will flow till 8k. I don't run long tubes

And a long tube will always outperform a shorty...

Old 06-25-2015, 10:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And a long tube will always outperform a shorty...

That depends also. A pair of BBK headers won't. I have seen the 1 3/4 BBK choke out also. Which tells you one thing, they are ****

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
That depends also. A pair of BBK headers won't. I have seen the 1 3/4 BBK choke out also. Which tells you one thing, they are ****

That they are! I mean just look at BBK's horrible design flaws too. I mean the long tubes for a 2v are horrible, they crimp the primary to fit the steering shaft.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT