Fender bender damage estimate... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Fender bender damage estimate...

Look story short I made a careless mistake yesterday and rear-ended a car while driving home. Even though I did quite a bit of damage to the other car (bumper and trunk were messed up), my Mustang looks nearly untouched at first glance.

There are a few scratches on the bumper, and my plate is messed up a little. But then I noticed the top part of the bumper is slightly pushed up under the hood (the hood still opens and closes without issue).

Any ideas how much something like this will cost to repair (assuming its just the bumper)?

I've never had the bumper off before, but it seems to me like I could just swap out the old bumper with a new one and have it painted to match the car.

Surprisingly, the other driver fled the scene and left me with fake/incorrect contact information. So I'm also trying to decide if I should put this through my insurance or just fix it out of pocket.

Thanks,

-Ed
Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Each shop will give you a different quote. I have an 8" scratch on my drivers side fender. One shop quoted 500 and another 260. Also, another factor is are you going to go with an aftermarket bumper cover if needed or OEM? If OEM and you are paying out of pocket, Ford isn't cheap. So give their Service/Repair dept a call for a quote on that part.

At first glance at the pics, I thought you were trolling, but after reading, I can see what you mean.

I personally, would try undoing all of the clips and bolts holding the bumper cover on and then mess with it to see if you can make it look better (as far as lining up with the hood.

Just remember 1 thing, if you report this to insurance for repair, it will more then likely hit your carfax report if you go through with it. And that can never be undone. However, if you fix it yourself or out of pocket, you car history stays clean. So you gotta weigh the pros and cons.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
So having personally taken my bumper off several times I can tell you there is little reason that the bumper itself would need to be replaced due to the way it lines up on the car. My guess is that you actually bent some of the inner structure and this is covered by the bumper and directly resulting in the tweaked gaps. If it were me I would take the bumper off inspect the inner structure then decide if it's worth taking to a shop under insurance. My guess is that you will need to have the car put on the frame machine and checked and or pulled. But you won't know until you have it checked.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Each shop will give you a different quote. I have an 8" scratch on my drivers side fender. One shop quoted 500 and another 260. Also, another factor is are you going to go with an aftermarket bumper cover if needed or OEM? If OEM and you are paying out of pocket, Ford isn't cheap. So give their Service/Repair dept a call for a quote on that part.

At first glance at the pics, I thought you were trolling, but after reading, I can see what you mean.

I personally, would try undoing all of the clips and bolts holding the bumper cover on and then mess with it to see if you can make it look better (as far as lining up with the hood.

Just remember 1 thing, if you report this to insurance for repair, it will more then likely hit your carfax report if you go through with it. And that can never be undone. However, if you fix it yourself or out of pocket, you car history stays clean. So you gotta weigh the pros and cons.
With the bright color, the scratches really don't show in my pictures, but they're pretty deep in person. Although someplace like CarMax probably wouldn't care if I was trying to sell it.

That's a good idea... I'll start with that.

I just noticed you can buy OEM replacements from CJ's for $450. So if its just the bumper I can order a replacement and then take it to a paint guy I know to match it.

Thanks
Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd2016 View Post
With the bright color, the scratches really don't show in my pictures, but they're pretty deep in person. Although someplace like CarMax probably wouldn't care if I was trying to sell it.

That's a good idea... I'll start with that.

I just noticed you can buy OEM replacements from CJ's for $450. So if its just the bumper I can order a replacement and then take it to a paint guy I know to match it.

Thanks
Either way you go, let us know how it turns out. My post was just me looking out for your cars overall resale value if you decided to trade it at Ford or someplace else besides Carmax or a smaller local place. Or if you sell it privately, because local individual buyers or banks will nickel and dime you if there are blemishes on your carfax report.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I had an issue where a company dropped scaffolding on the hood of my car. It honestly didn't look all that bad, ended up costing them $2287.11 to replace the hood, fender and touch up the bumper.

If you messed up the other car, I'd be worried that things might have gotten crunched on yours too, the damage just might not be completely visible.

Pull the bumper off and take a look, if you notice anything that looks odd, take the car into a shop to have them give you an estimate.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #7

Region: Texas
Regarding painting the bumper cover - there is a lot more to it - most shops will likely need to blend the hood and both fenders to make it match properly.

Colors today are really difficult to match. There are usually dozens of variances, Years ago, when I was in college, I worked at a body shop, and we would mix and spray test panel after test panel, and you have to mix a pint of paint to do that, and we often still had to blend. (Then we had a lot of money tied up in paint we could not use....)

Just an FYI.
Springer200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
just loosen all the fasteners and adjust,there is slop in every connection point..bet ya a bud u can adjust without replacing anything, a good body shop will do this and looks like maybe buff out scratchs,,just my 2 cts
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT