1 piece drive shaft - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
But he can say his shaft is carbon fiber. Girls like it when your shaft is carbon fiber

Nah, girls like ShaftMasters. We know how to use our shafts better.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
I went with Shaftmasters and had issues with vibration to the extent I think it caused rear end issues I had to replace. switched to Drive Shaft Shop from AM and been awesome. Every experience different but for my 2 cents spend the extra the first time

Maybe a bad install? I haven't heard of a single issue with Shaftmasters which is why I went with them. Installed it, made sure the pinion angle was good, and not a single hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #38
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Nah, girls like ShaftMasters. We know how to use our shafts better.

Lmao good one.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Here are some [not all] of the points I think I remember why the factory uses a center CV joint system: Speed Limiter - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Ford put a two piece driveline in the 2011/2014 Mustang because of harmonic vibration.
They did away with the front universal/yoke assembly and mounted the driveshaft with a solid front mount, used a center CV joint, a slip shaft, and mounted the rear driveshaft with a 9lb damper and also mounted it solid to the pinion flange.
If you have the chance to look underneath a 13/14 GT500 you will see that they have a 1 piece driveshaft, not 2 piece like we have. Ford found out that putting that much HP/TQ to the stock Mustang chassis...................it wasn't pretty. There are also quite a few chassis changes to elevate that much power tearing things apart...............and lessening the chances of the public buying the cars bringing them back on a regular basis for warranty work like tearing MT82's to shreds and breaking 2 piece driveshafts among other things.
If you have a chance sometime get under your Mustang when it's up in the air with the rearend hanging down unsupported.............push up and down on the center CV joint.............it feels about the same as the OE rubber bushing that supports the manual shifter on the MT82................very soft.
Although I am not an automotive engineer I am a mechanical engineer and feel I am just improving on their design..................as I have with every Mustang I've ever owned.
I am sure this modification is not for everyone...............and I'm ok with that.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Here are some [not all] of the points I think I remember why the factory uses a center CV joint system: Speed Limiter - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums
- old information about the DS's... though what he says is true about replacing some parts on your car with aftermarket parts that aren't engineered with the whole car in mind. You change a part for X reason/performance, but it may affect Y's durability & Z's performance.

example: you may change a certain suspension part to stiffer bushings, etc.. but it ends up being a lot louder, b/c you don't have the softer bushings absorbing some of the vibrations, which may affect longevity of related parts that are subjected to more stress/shaking/vibrations/shocks.

As Olerodder said.... Ford has engineered a CF one-piece for the GT500.

AND they've also ENGINEERED an aluminum one-piece DS. Its only for manuals, as they only took the time to engineer one for their performance vehicles (GT500, Boss302R / 302S, etc.) I thought the 2013 Boss 302 came with this part, but I can't find any confirmation of that. And someone else refuted my "thought" before.

https://fordperformanceracingparts.c...KeyField=24846
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Yes I have seen that FRPP shaft before and even was interested in it at one time. My Ford Dealer will install many FRPP items and keep the extended Warranty in place, and I have a few of them installed.

However note that Ford Racing says this is only Off-road use, that means it wont hold warranty on your rear end parts/pinion/bearings etc. Great for those that drag race on track.

Edit: Now I know many here use all kinds of off-roads parts, those are just out of the question for some of us. One day may be, but not now.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT