Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 piece drive shaft

4K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  ArtU 
#1 ·
Looking to replace stock drive shaft. Which way should I go?
2014 5.0 w/Eibach suspension, white line control arms and some engine mods.

#2 ·
Looking to replace stock drive shaft. Which way should I go?

2014 5.0 w/Eibach suspension, white line control arms and some engine mods.

I just picked up a Shaftmasters 3.5" aluminum one piece for a hair over 600$. Didn't make any substantial gains in acceleration, but it'll be a nice peace of mind mod when I supercharge.

Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Auto part Pipe Muffler

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 ·
I need one. It's in the plan but cash is not in the pocket. Why is it always seeming that way?

#7 ·
Lol. From all I read, I need one.

#9 ·
True that! If I hooked well, I'd worry about snapping it. They just expensive lol

#10 ·
Not mine but an OE Shelby 2 piece. See similarities between it and the one posted above? Lol

Attachments

#12 ·
A lot of it is personal opinion man. I honestly went off of people's opinions on this forum in particular and the consensus was Shaftmasters from what I gathered. Also happened to be one of the cheapest financially on the market, which was a win win. The CF shafts are stupid expensive for about a 10 lb difference from the aluminum and I could never justify the 1200$+ for one, but again, that's me.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Not mine but an OE Shelby 2 piece. See similarities between it and the one posted above? Lol

Looks exactly like the GT lol, and yeah they are costly. I'm happy with my shaftmasters.

#19 ·
It's exactly the same. There are guys who twist them and break them. Bad design from ford. One day, I'll get a one piece. I read somewhere that over 130 mph, the 2 piece gets dangerous.

#17 ·
I've had my Shaftmasters in for a number of months now and works great. I also replace the UCA with an adjustable UCA and BMR carrier bushing at the same time. The carrier bushing really made a difference........When I took the OE carrier bushing out it was torn with less than 8000 original miles. I also used to have clunking when I depressed the clutch sometimes and that is now gone.

#21 ·
The fact the GT500 has a 2 piece means they can handle the power, but the center design of the section that gives is because of better comfort to drive, not to race. The 1 piece is sorta really 2-pieces; they just put the part that moves at one end. Holds up better that way for launching from a DIG, but may increase the harshness of the drive. Being most customers/users of the car do not launch from DIGS is why they come with a center mounted joint instead of the end mounted joint.

#22 ·
If they hadn't just made them big heavy turds, that would have helped out a lot.

#25 ·
I've read that there's a noticeable difference on take off and normal driving. That shifts become smoother. All reasons I will Change. That and breaking it lol

#27 ·
It has to cost more to make things in more than one section, increase the amount of parts to install, and the carriers and brackets to hold them. There is a reason propeller shaft technology went to center carriers in some automotive & truck designs over decades. I used to know why but at my age I forget. It may even effect other parts. I'll need to research it, there has to be a reason for the madness ;)

I do know if I got rid of mine, that dang noise clunk would likely go away when I release the clutch !
Art

#31 ·
My DSS Carbon Fiber D. S. Is great, dead smooth at 120mph. That and a Ford ProCal tune gave me 4 tenths, and quieted down the rear end whine.

#33 ·
Wow, you paid double for about 1 lb ? ($600+ vs $1,200+)

OEM 2-piece = 41 lbs
1-piece aluminum = 21 lbs - $600+
Carbon FIber = 20 lbs = $1,200+

I've got a Shaftmasters. Its quieter than the OEM 2-piece and felt nice & smooth at 150 mph. The Shaftmasters is nice b/c you don't have to change the flange, its more "plug & play" than some of the others.

#32 ·
I went with Shaftmasters and had issues with vibration to the extent I think it caused rear end issues I had to replace. switched to Drive Shaft Shop from AM and been awesome. Every experience different but for my 2 cents spend the extra the first time

#35 ·
One thing to remember when changing from a 2 piece to 1 piece driveline is to make sure your pinion angle is correct. Check the transmission tailshaft angle and the pinion angle. Without the correct pinion angle you will have a vibration and could end up tearing up the U joints or even doing damage the rearend.

#41 · (Edited)
- old information about the DS's... though what he says is true about replacing some parts on your car with aftermarket parts that aren't engineered with the whole car in mind. You change a part for X reason/performance, but it may affect Y's durability & Z's performance.

example: you may change a certain suspension part to stiffer bushings, etc.. but it ends up being a lot louder, b/c you don't have the softer bushings absorbing some of the vibrations, which may affect longevity of related parts that are subjected to more stress/shaking/vibrations/shocks.

As Olerodder said.... Ford has engineered a CF one-piece for the GT500.

AND they've also ENGINEERED an aluminum one-piece DS. Its only for manuals, as they only took the time to engineer one for their performance vehicles (GT500, Boss302R / 302S, etc.) I thought the 2013 Boss 302 came with this part, but I can't find any confirmation of that. And someone else refuted my "thought" before.

https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=24846

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.