2010-14 mustang sill plate removal & install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #1

Region: Texas
2010-14 mustang sill plate removal & install

Hey Guys,

I installed a new sound system in my car over the weekend and broke the sill plate when I tried to remove it. Normally they just snap in and out with metal retaining clip but not so with my 2013 mustang. There is a weird blue rubber grommet or sleeve that the plastic pin fits into but it is not easy to remove and all mine are broken now -- see the pictures below

Does anyone have proper removal and install instructions for this part. I need to order a new one from the dealer but have no idea how to get those blue rubber pieces out and if I should leave them in and just install the new sill plate?

Thanks in advance for your help!

jclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

I removed my stock ones and installed Premium take offs. They had the same blue rubber on the clip parts. I just pulled up on the sill plate and luckily everything came out. When reinstalling everything, I used 3M tape to secure it to the metal part of the car that is sits on top of. Has held fine for the past 7 months.

Might be a good temp fix for now.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
tagging. My custom ones came in today so any help on how to best get the stock off apreciated
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Just pull straight up and don't yank on it. The blue clips you will see in the body have teeth that will bend up when you remove the sills. Take a screw driver and bend them back down before you try to re install the new ones. It will save you some frustration. Obviously you will want to make sure you also use good double sided tape on the part that extends toward the outside of the car where there are no clips. It's about the easiest thing you can do πŸ‘πŸ»

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Just pull straight up and don't yank on it. The blue clips you will see in the body have teeth that will bend up when you remove the sills. Take a screw driver and bend them back down before you try to re install the new ones. It will save you some frustration. Obviously you will want to make sure you also use good double sided tape on the part that extends toward the outside of the car where there are no clips. It's about the easiest thing you can do πŸ‘πŸ»

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Thanks! hope to have pics of the custom new ones on tomorrow!
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Chicken Nugget
Old 07-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Yes, I pulled up on it really hard. Gave it 1 good yank. LOL That's about the only way to get them off. Even the removal/install instructions from other places that sell aftermarket door sills say to do that.

Don't be afraid to use some muscle.

You might get away with yanking on your stuff Kevin (yeah I hear how that sounds and still wrote it), but I have seen those clips claim the lives of the plastic tabs on the part. Not to mention the clips themselves can get deformed or snap teeth.

You will have to pull with a purpose but don't yank on it. Unless you don't care about breaking stuff. Just .02 from a guy who has done this removal about 4 times on his car and gawd awful amounts of times working on cars at a body shop for a few years.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Chicken Nugget
Old 07-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Maybe we are on different pages. But how I use the terms, it is the same for me. I grabbed the sill, and pulled as hard as I could until it came off. Nothing was broken. It's probably that Texas vs. Virginia slang disconnect going on. LOL

I'm not a Virginian by any means other than I happen to reside here, but I go by websters sir

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436375174.756837.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	186702

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Chicken Nuggetz
Old 07-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Ahh, the old style of "always have to be right". It may be right, but you won't make friends by being "Anul". Wrong word might have been used, but we use the same way regardless. XD

Are you threatening me with our friendship Kevin? I just don't want people who are asking how not to break stuff to get the idea that they should give it a sudden hard jerk and expect that everything will work out.

I guess if that makes me an a$$hole then I'm okay with that.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

FIXED!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Alright. How's about this, I will go back and edit my posts. If you take that wretched screenshot of yank away. Making this thread border lining uncomfortable. LOL

I mean your the one yanking over there. 😎

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

Ok, that does it. This thread went from PG, skipped rated R, and went straight to XXX. Someone call Dr. Juarez. Tell him to put the issues with my mom aside. We got a whole other bag of problems to discuss now....

I have to do this...I apologize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I mean your the one yanking over there. 😎

IG @Oxford5pointoh
You're
Old 07-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
What the heck is going on here? Do you guys need to be put in the corner?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #16
Kevin.Cook

Not I said the fly. I fixed my posts.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:30 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclement View Post
Hey Guys,

I installed a new sound system in my car over the weekend and broke the sill plate when I tried to remove it. Normally they just snap in and out with metal retaining clip but not so with my 2013 mustang. There is a weird blue rubber grommet or sleeve that the plastic pin fits into but it is not easy to remove and all mine are broken now -- see the pictures below

Does anyone have proper removal and install instructions for this part. I need to order a new one from the dealer but have no idea how to get those blue rubber pieces out and if I should leave them in and just install the new sill plate?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Same happened to me when, I removed mine. You just need to be careful and not force it in/out. Mine I was able to fix it, but didn't really care. I'm thinking of upgrading to the premium sill plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #18
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
Same happened to me when, I removed mine. You just need to be careful and not force it in/out. Mine I was able to fix it, but didn't really care. I'm thinking of upgrading to the premium sill plates.

Hey man make sure you get some pull offs from another Premium. Don't get the sill plates that Ford sells in their Accessories catalog. They are knock offs in my opinion. They taped a metal led strip over a base sill. And it only illuminates white. Very ghetto and over priced. Ask me how I know.

I ended up getting pulls offs from a Premium.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I've pulled mine off a couple of times for different installs and have to pull them off again to install the lighted sill plates within the next week. Definitely take your time pulling them out but what made it easy to put them back in for me was to take some needle nose pliers and break off those sharp as* metal teeth which you don't really need, they just mess up the clips when you take them out. Remember you may have to take them off more than once if you have to run wires to the back for any reason.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey man make sure you get some pull offs from another Premium. Don't get the sill plates that Ford sells in their Accessories catalog. They are knock offs in my opinion. They taped a metal led strip over a base sill. And it only illuminates white. Very ghetto and over priced. Ask me how I know.

I ended up getting pulls offs from a Premium.

That's what I'm thinking of doing, I lost the chance to get some take offs for cheap ($30). I guess I'll wait till I find a good deal on them, since I always have good luck in finding stuff like that cheap.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I got my premium takeoffs from Roush on ebay. Roush is always selling takeoffs. Their stuff sells quick though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT