Will I Be Disappointed? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My MT82 was really vague at first, although I had no problems slamming gears at the strip. That being said, I added the poly shifter bushing and Whiteline mount and it shifts like butta' now. Granted the last Mustang I owned had a Tremec TKO in it, so my "normal" is likely a little bit off.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Only problem I've had was the slave cylinder caving in and pedal gets stuck to the floor. That was replaced under warranty 2 months ago. It's now having the same problem. Scheduled to go in next Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Is that a normal thing?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I sure hope not. I'm stuck babying it right now. Cannot shift at high rpm, or the pedal sticks to the floor and can't shift.
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #74
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I can't say this is a fix for pedal sticking to the floor and even shifting at red line I've never had that issue.
I installed a separate reservoir for the clutch and it does give the clutch a different feel. If you ever track the car or are heavy on the brakes................the brake fluid is shared between the master cylinder and clutch...........if the brake fluid gets hot so with the clutch.............I installed an Isolated reservoir although I had to take out the sound tube...................it just makes the engine bay a lot cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-24 10.23.49.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	188186  
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Mine acts this way cold or hot, fresh out of the driveway in the morning.

While it still baffles me why they would share the reservoir like they did here, I don't buy the hot fluid transfer theory unless you were really hard on the car for an extended period of time, like road racing.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #76
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
shared is less expensive.....

does your fluid look contaminated?
Old 07-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Nope, I just flushed the brakes last week.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #78
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Mine acts this way cold or hot, fresh out of the driveway in the morning.

While it still baffles me why they would share the reservoir like they did here, I don't buy the hot fluid transfer theory unless you were really hard on the car for an extended period of time, like road racing.
They share the reservoir because of manufacturing costs.
You certainly don't need to agree with me and this modification was done to make sure I can push the Mustang hard and not worry about stopping................DOT 3 is what you have in the car now and after running through the Cascade Mountains for 20/30 miles with moderate to heavy use of the brakes before I put the reservoir in and changed my fluid to DOT 5.1 I would get moderate brake fade and the clutch would feel spongy. With the clutch Iso reservoir and DOT 5.1 along with changing the rear rotors from 11.8" to 13.8" I get no fade and the clutch feels normal under the same conditions and all the way to redline.
DOT 3 has a dry boiling point of 400 degrees, DOT 4 is 450 and DOT 5.1 is 500.
It's the temperature of the rotors.calipers that heat the fluid and it doesn't take much to get them up to 400 degrees on some spirited mountain roads trips.
On the street I doubt you would notice any difference.
Just information....................nothing else.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
If the manual tranz was as bulletproof as the 6R80 automatic I'd say go for it. But the 6R80 is a much better tranz than the MT82 by every measure. No way that I would do it.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The mt-82 is plenty strong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:46 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
All I know is that there seems to be a lot of posts about issues with the manual transmissions.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Completely stock mt-82 is hit or miss, well more of a miss. Although, you can build it hold 900-1000hp through a stage 2 build with Ben Calimer. 1700 bucks, it will hold up power better than a t-56

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

I suppose when it comes to Mustangs, I'd rather deal with a manual that has potential than deal with an automatic that does a fine job, but is still boring like all of it's auto transmission brethren.

Koni STR.t shocks/struts, Steeda springs, BMR LCA, and Panhard bar, BBK off road X-pipe, Pypes axleback, whiteline shifter/trans bushings, Bama 93r tune, JLT CAI, Barton shifter, Shaftmasters 1 piece DS, CHE axle brace, factory HID conversion, and track pack Brembo and Recaro swap
Old 07-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #85
Registered Member

Regular

Manual transmissions are fun to drive for this ole guy.......................on the other hand in drag racing there is nothing more consistent than an automatic.
When was the last time you sat at the lights...............the motor was on the trans brake at 5000 rpm............when you released the trans brake button the front end rose 2' in the air.......................you shifted into second at 7100 rpm and headed through the traps at 133mph+. Nothing boring about that.
I started racing 2 spd Powerglides back in the 70's when everyone said they were junk.................now look.........they are one of the most widely used transmission in drag racing and one of the worlds fastest Powerglide has dipped into the 5's, not too shabby for a 50+ year old transmission.
With that said I understand there is big difference between the street and the drag strip and also understand there is nothing boring about automatics if they are set up right.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

I've drag raced for 15 years or so, and ran Mod Motor in Fun Ford Weekend and NMRA, and always ran a stick. I always liked the challenge I suppose, and I tried the automatic thing for a bit, but I did find it a little dull and the challenge of getting the right converter and having to get it tweaked whenever you added more power was expensive and time consuming. Although it was pretty consistent, it was not much more consistent than my stick car though. That being said, the fastest cars in the world don't have a viscous coupling between the engine and drive wheels.

Koni STR.t shocks/struts, Steeda springs, BMR LCA, and Panhard bar, BBK off road X-pipe, Pypes axleback, whiteline shifter/trans bushings, Bama 93r tune, JLT CAI, Barton shifter, Shaftmasters 1 piece DS, CHE axle brace, factory HID conversion, and track pack Brembo and Recaro swap
Old 07-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #87
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I've drag raced for 15 years or so, and ran Mod Motor in Fun Ford Weekend and NMRA, and always ran a stick. I always liked the challenge I suppose, and I tried the automatic thing for a bit, but I did find it a little dull and the challenge of getting the right converter and having to get it tweaked whenever you added more power was expensive and time consuming. Although it was pretty consistent, it was not much more consistent than my stick car though. That being said, the fastest cars in the world don't have a viscous coupling between the engine and drive wheels.
When I first started racing in the early 70's I ran an SS/IA Camaro and Marv Ripes of A-1 built my first Powerglide.....................in those days SS was kind of loose and on the other hand kind of picky.
When I started racing the B/SM Maverick..............first big race for the car was the 1979 Winternationals in Pomona..................it had a Boss 302 and Liberty mod'd Top Loader. The only issue I had was that I carried a backup 4spd and on more than one occassion used it and clutches weren't cheap back then and you went through a number per season. After B/SM went a way the car went through a number of changes and finally ended up with the 408/Powerglide. I raced the Powerglide for 3 to 4 seasons without a tear down. Mike's Transmission in Lancaster, CA builds some of the best and fastest Powerglides on the face of this earth...................I only had to change converters once....................but there wasn't too much more I really wanted needed from the motor.
I guess it's just what you get comfortable with.................and suits your driving style.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Ha! I grew up in Lancaster California, small world.

I guess I left another part of my rational out of the last post, and that is that I liked to be able to drive my "race car" and when I had the auto with the high stall converter it was impossible to drive in traffic or on warm days without heating up the trans pretty bad. Granted I was only running 11's (which was pretty quick for a 2 valve 4.6 back in the day) but I was able to drive it to car shows and thrown some street tires on and take it on a long cruise.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #89
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Ha! I grew up in Lancaster California, small world.

I guess I left another part of my rational out of the last post, and that is that I liked to be able to drive my "race car" and when I had the auto with the high stall converter it was impossible to drive in traffic or on warm days without heating up the trans pretty bad. Granted I was only running 11's (which was pretty quick for a 2 valve 4.6 back in the day) but I was able to drive it to car shows and thrown some street tires on and take it on a long cruise.
Oh...............yes, for a race car/street car I can certainly understand. Although I did take the Maverick to a couple of shows it was trailered...............driving a full on race car on the street can be sketchy at best...........and running 114 gets expensive.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I guess I'm in the minority because I would rather have the automatic vs the manual. For some reason I have never really enjoyed driving a manual and I learned to drive one when I was 17. I especially don't like driving one in stop and go traffic. I guess having a bad left knee also contributes to this.

I guess to the OP, if you have the money to take a hit on trading into a manual car and that is what you want, go for it. You probably won't be happy until you do.

Wayne
Old 08-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

2015 GT w/PP manual trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
All I know is that there seems to be a lot of posts about issues with the manual transmissions.
I experience mild thump sometimes when I depress the clutch for upshift. Also what seems like a catch before going into gear (occasionally) like the clutch is not properly depressed. I have heard several people on one of the Mustang forums address the thump/clunk. I do not especially like that rear end thump, anybody have any comments on that?
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #92
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I guess I'm in the minority because I would rather have the automatic vs the manual. For some reason I have never really enjoyed driving a manual and I learned to drive one when I was 17. I especially don't like driving one in stop and go traffic. I guess having a bad left knee also contributes to this.

I guess to the OP, if you have the money to take a hit on trading into a manual car and that is what you want, go for it. You probably won't be happy until you do.

Wayne
I don't think you are in the minority...................when I was young anything more than 2 doors was two too many and automatics were for old people.......
then automatics were what you had on your drag car because it was easier to maintain and personal car had one also................now it's just for fun and I want recapture the fun I had when I was young.................it's just a matter of taste
Wayne.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #93
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
lmao with grabbers part list.
As one of my oldest friends said, "don't be a 70's d1@k, autos are faster"
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #94
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I get it!
My daily drive is in and out of pittsburgh, I have driven sticks and my left leg is still bigger than my right!
IBeat a hell cat last Saturday because me missed a shift.
I can honestly say I never missed a shift!
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Totally will not be disappointed! I love my manual 2014
Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

If anything skip the mt82 and go tremec magnum Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439003876.062929.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	188848
eddie oh.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #97
Registered Member

Regular

If you have a 9.30 @ 150mph I'd agree..................if not there is no need to replace the MT82, it's plenty strong for a street car.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:41 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
If you have a 9.30 @ 150mph I'd agree..................if not there is no need to replace the MT82, it's plenty strong for a street car.

Yeah that's true it is strong but i have 44k miles on it and you can feel my trans about to go out and I don't drive my car crazy either so I'm replacing it with the tremec due to suggestion by lethal performance they said it'd be better than building the mt-82. Then again they suggested that because this November I'm about to put a single 86 mm turbo on it and hook it up to my cobra jet intake manifold that I already have.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:45 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Single 86 lol.
What's done to the car already?

Old 08-08-2015, 12:53 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Single 86 lol.
What's done to the car already?

Carbon fiber one piece drive shaft, long tube headers, full cobra her intake manifold set up, off-road xpipe, cut outs, Lund tune, flow master outlaws, borla over axles, full suspension, boss 302 radiator, engine oil cooler and alternator, and timing chain tensioners. FR generator oil pump, and slicks

My next couple upgrades will be sparco r600's, boss 302 torsen differential, and a 2-step.

---------- Post added at 05:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 AM ----------

Cobra jet**^ sorry
Old 08-08-2015, 12:54 AM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Still stock motor? What making you go with a 86mm? What fuel system are you going to run?

So sounds like your Making a car to run down the strip. 1. drop the torsen Idea

Old 08-08-2015, 01:09 AM   #102
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Still stock motor? What making you go with a 86mm? What fuel system are you going to run?

+1 on not using a Torsen. The Torsen is an amazing differential, but it is meant for corner carving, not hooking and booking. Why do you think it came on the Boss?

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:21 AM   #103
Registered Member

Regular

Didn't American Muscle snap the torsen on their 2015 at like 700 hp on the first launch?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:12 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

For now yes it's still a stock motor but in October we're going to build it up then November is when the turbo is going on. And I chose 86 because for me it's not to big and not too small I was thinking of going twins but heard it takes longer to spool up it would be 2 62 or 74mm turbos if i went twins. So I figured one bigger one would compensate for two smaller ones and as far as fuel system in debating between 93 or e85
Old 08-08-2015, 04:14 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
+1 on not using a Torsen. The Torsen is an amazing differential, but it is meant for corner carving, not hooking and booking. Why do you think it came on the Boss?

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Yeah all the stuff I've been getting is to try to make my 5.0 match up to the boss but better that's why I wanted the a lot of the boss parts but that's a good point torsen idea has been dropped

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT