How a boost a pump works? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
How a boost a pump works?

So tell me if i'm wrong. The computer controls and varies what voltage the fuel pump runs at depending on fuel demands. And the boost a pump doesn't do anything unless the computer commands more voltage than is available from the charging system?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 12:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I'm sure there are people on here that can explain it better than myself and since it's been a few years since I've boosted a motor I'll try and work through this so bare with me.
The EEC Feedback Loop Control and Fuel Pressure Feedback Sensor work in conjunction with the EEC monitoring constant signals from the FPFS. The EEC takes the signals from the FPFS and switches the voltage to ground either quickly or slowly....the duty cycle of the pump...........which is dependant upon demand coming from the FPFS on the fuel rail.
So, yes the boost a pump although dormant for a small portion of the time can allow the OE pump to be more efficient and also output more flow at the same pressure.
Just a question, why are you asking this? Are you wanting to no install a boost a pump..........go to a larger pump..............install larger injectors.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have already installed a JMS boost activated boost a pump and have seen no changes in how my fuel pressure acts. So I was trying to figure out how the thing actually works in conjunction with the ECU. I've tested the boost a pump. It looks to be working. The light flashes and voltage is increased when tested. I tested it from the source at the engine to make sure there are no kinks or whatever in the line. I went ahead and bought and installed the BAP because I'm going to a smaller pulley and exhaust, bigger injectors and a more aggressive tune. I just want to make sure the thing is working properly before we get into tuning and find out it isn't. I just think I had the wrong idea about how it was supposed to work.
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It's working fine.
A BAP is not going to change your fuel pressure. It simply adds more voltage to the pump increasing it's flow of fuel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
It's working fine.
A BAP is not going to change your fuel pressure. It simply adds more voltage to the pump increasing it's flow of fuel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ok yeah i just had the idea it would stabilize the pressure. Its more of a volume thing i see. I will roll with it then. Lol!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've actually been thinking about this too.

Is there a way to check if the BAP is actually doing it's job, working correctly?
Old 07-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidman86 View Post
I've actually been thinking about this too.

Is there a way to check if the BAP is actually doing it's job, working correctly?
All I know is probe the wire (white wire on the JMS unit) and activate it and make sure the voltage is stepped up.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well after a period of googling I have found out that the Coyote fuel pump has a high speed threshold. The pump is pretty much set to run full speed always with an internal relief valve set at 58 psi and the computer cuts it back under low load conditions. So unless you go into the tune and raise the high speed threshold you are only going to get so much flow out of it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT