Camber bolts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Camber bolts

Are camber bolts universal? I may need to get some after i lower my gt and my brother has an extra set that came with his genesis coupe. Was wondering if i could use these or if i need specific measurements to fit the mustang.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Fax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Simple answer is no.
I have lowered/helped lower 5 late model Mustang including my own and have never used any camber bolts because they are not needed. As far as camber bolts go I believe they are an accident waiting to happen. The camber bolt is much smaller than the OE and therefore much weaker.
I have Eibach Sportlines in my 14 TrakPak which lower it 1.5" in the front and although I will change the struts/strut mounts I have had the stock OE units in for some 6000 miles with the lowered springs. They tend to creak and grown when going over rough roads, speed bumps and driveways and will with the stock struts and strut mounts.......................I had the car alignment checked right after I lowered it and it was still within Ford specs...........at the high end of caster and low end of camber................but still within spec. With this setting the Mustang corners really nice and even with Goodyear F1's there has been no abnormal wear in the 6000 miles.
Do yourself a favor and forget about the camber bolts.............they are a waist of money in my opinion.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Dropped my car 1in front and 1.5 back. Was out of alignment so I had to get bolts. The shop I used couldn't even get what was supposed to be gotten out of the bolts but I also think they might be stupid there. BMR has bigger bolts that others I believe

Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Would it be better to just save up and get cc plates then? Im trying to get the best ride quality possible the first time around without having to go back and add parts later

Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fax22 View Post
Would it be better to just save up and get cc plates then? Im trying to get the best ride quality possible the first time around without having to go back and add parts later

Are you putting new struts/shocks on the Mustang when you lower it?
The reason I ask is that the OE struts with lowering springs will give a fair ride quality...................struts/shocks built for lowered Mustangs will give you much better ride quality.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I already bought the koni orange dampers all around. Using them with the SR springs which give it an even 1.5 drop.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Camber bolts are universal... universally bad. With sportlines on stock struts I was at the very edge of alignment parameters. Tires wore fine and I drove nearly 20 or 30k on my Nitto 555 front tires before I got CC and Koni Orange. In fact after 54k I'm still on the 555's in front. They still got probably another 10k to go.

But since you're getting struts and springs get the cc plates at the same time.

Without them your front wheels will look cambered in.

Bolts... are like a bandaid holding a wound together. If you're careful then it'll stay and you won't bleed. But if you move one way to much or that way too far then the bandaid will break and you'll bleed all over the mofo.

CC plates is more like sutures or staples or hell even like super glue. It stays until you take it off or it completely gets ripped out somehow which means you're ripping out the flesh doing something ill-advised.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
They're called crash bolts for a reason.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I already bought the koni orange dampers all around. Using them with the SR springs which give it an even 1.5 drop.

I assume you getting new strut mounts also and replacing the OE mounts with either GT500 or ????
As was mentioned, CC plates are certainly advised if you are going to street and track the car, for the street it's "6 of one and half a dozen of the other", and personally I'd use the money to get a good tune............that's just my opinion.
If you do buy CC plates, Steeda has one of the best as their bearing is extremely well engineered..............again, just my personal opinion.
I't much easier to setup at home than have to go into the lineup shop. If you have an iPhone there is an app called iAlign that's a great caster and camber tool anyone can use. This can be done at home or at the track.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ill probably go with the J&M cc plates if anyone has had any experience with them
Old 07-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I lowered mine also to 1.5" with Steeda ultralites, both the front tires were wearing out on the inner side. And then at 20mph, you get to hear a zzz-zzzz-zzzzz-zzzzz-zzzz noise.
Does anybody here experienced the camber bolts snapping, or know of anybody that had them break?
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Would a trip to an alignment shop be enough to fix it without having to get the cc plates?

Old 07-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
With your drop just get GT500 mounts if you have the 05-10 struts and mount them with the arrows pointed in. If you have 11-14 struts I would go with CC plates.
BlackBetty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Would a trip to an alignment shop be enough to fix it without having to get the cc plates?

Sense all of the Mustangs I've lowered/helped lower all used the OE struts and strut mounts, and they needed no adjusting although they did go to a lineup shop. I can't say when you change over to the Koni Orange struts with SR springs that you will still be within the factory specs. Some lineup shops will try and drill out the strut attachment holes so they can move the strut and years ago I have also done this, but it's not recommended...........and some shops will just tell you they can't bring your car into factory specs and do nothing further other than suggest you spend more money for CC plates.
When you bought the Koni Orange struts, what year did you buy and did you also purchase new strut mounts?
Old 07-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

2011+ so i cant get the gt500 mounts. Thats why cc plates might be my safest bet

Old 07-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
2011+ so i cant get the gt500 mounts. Thats why cc plates might be my safest bet

The GT500 strut mounts will fit our cars but you will have to use a strut from 2005 to 2009 as the GT500 struts are much thicker than the 2011/2014.
If you have the Koni Orange struts you will have to purchase a CC plate. Pick your CC plate wisely as the strut mounts are not all the same...........the Steeda being one of the best.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well the struts i purchased are on backorder so i could cancel it and buy the 2010 struts with the gt500 mounts if you think that would be a better investment.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm running a set of camber bolts now lowered on Sportlines with frpp shocks/struts and upgraded gt500 mounts. Alignment shop had no issues and got it back well within factory spec. Attached is the alignment report for reference. Notice the before and after measurements. The sportlines did knock the camber out of factory specs. I waited about a month for everything to settle before getting an alignment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436853339.793155.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	187049

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:07 AM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I wouldn't put camber bolts in a Prius. And I absolutely hate Prius', or whatever the plural for it is.

The only place camber bolts belong is in the trash.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
I'm running a set of camber bolts now lowered on Sportlines with frpp shocks/struts and upgraded gt500 mounts. Alignment shop had no issues and got it back well within factory spec. Attached is the alignment report for reference. Notice the before and after measurements. The sportlines did knock the camber out of factory specs. I waited about a month for everything to settle before getting an alignment.

Attachment 187049

Hey if you're gonna go might as well go in a blaze of glory as you take a hard corner and hear a snap as the bolts goes bye bye and you hurl towards a cliff or a wall or oncoming traffic.

All to save maybe $170 by getting camber bolts instead of caster camber plates.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:27 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Hey if you're gonna go might as well go in a blaze of glory as you take a hard corner and hear a snap as the bolts goes bye bye and you hurl towards a cliff or a wall or oncoming traffic.

All to save maybe $170 by getting camber bolts instead of caster camber plates.

Lol. There's an upper bolt and lower bolt that holds the strut on the spindle. You don't replace both bolts with a camber bolt.. Just the upper. There is no chance for it to break and send the car flying off a cliff as you say. If it breaks, it's going to have a slight pull to the left or right because there's no way the lower bolt is coming loose/breaking. In order for it to even move, you have to loosen the lower strut bolt. A hard turn is not going to loosen a nut/bolt torqued to 130ft lbs.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I wouldn't put camber bolts in a Prius. And I absolutely hate Prius', or whatever the plural for it is.

Whats not to like about the Prius................my wife's Performance Evolution 14 looks pretty good and corners..........you have to drive it to believe it.........and the 50mpg ain't bad either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1112.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	187057  
Old 07-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

Quote:
Lol. There's an upper bolt and lower bolt that holds the strut on the spindle. You don't replace both bolts with a camber bolt.. Just the upper. There is no chance for it to break and send the car flying off a cliff as you say. If it breaks, it's going to have a slight pull to the left or right because there's no way the lower bolt is coming loose/breaking. In order for it to even move, you have to loosen the lower strut bolt. A hard turn is not going to loosen a nut/bolt torqued to 130ft lbs.
In a catastrophic failure it's very hard to predict what will happen one way or the other unless you spend many hours in front of a computer with the right software..............or days spent doing it long hand.
If the top bolt would break that would transfer all of the load to the bottom bolt.................depending on the situation more than likely this bottom bolt would not be able to handle the forces and break also.............that situation would render steering useless and depending on the speed could be something you couldn't recover from.

Bottom line is DIRTFT (do it right the first time) and when it comes to suspension parts/pieces..........................don't take short cuts.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
On that alignment report, at the bottom, they show "front and rear ride heights". Where are those dimensions taken?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
In a catastrophic failure it's very hard to predict what will happen one way or the other unless you spend many hours in front of a computer with the right software..............or days spent doing it long hand.

If the top bolt would break that would transfer all of the load to the bottom bolt.................depending on the situation more than likely this bottom bolt would not be able to handle the forces and break also.............that situation would render steering useless and depending on the speed could be something you couldn't recover from.

Bottom line is DIRTFT (do it right the first time) and when it comes to suspension parts/pieces..........................don't take short cuts.

It's not a shortcut..I've read countless reviews about camber bolts and have yet to hear about them breaking or failing. I'm just sharing my experience with using them. Not looking to get all scientific about "what ifs."

Old 07-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Has nothing to do with how much the bolt's been torqued. It's about the stress factor on a single remaining bolt that's gonna shear it. That bolt isn't spec'ed to hold the entire brunt of the forces applied to the car especially if there's pull then there's wobble and if there's wobble at high speed you're gonna have a hard time controlling the car especially in a turn on a sweeping corner.

Tell you what if you're so adamant about camber bolts being safe would you like to volunteer to try an experiment out by loosening the bolt to simulate an eventual and random bolt failure and then start driving around on a canyon road or some other twisties at no slower than 40-50mph? Although I'm sure people (tho they shouldn't) would reach speeds much faster than 50mph on these roads. Of course you're gonna have to drive for at least a while and not just a mile.

If you survive the bolt failure experiment I'll buy you a drink. I'll even pour one for you homie even if you don't survive.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

I've been a tech inspector for the SCCA for many years I have only seen one incident where these type of suspension adjustment bolts have caused an issue. The SCCA will not allow a car through tech that has this type of bolt.
Not technical, just fact...................enough said.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I've only "heard about" one case of camber bolts breaking, but it was on a track and it put someone in to a wall.

I've also seen photos of the wear that happens on the camber bolts and given the starting point is thinner, then factor in the way they allow a little more travel (wear) to happen and that translates in to shorter life before they break. So IF I was going to use camber bolts, I'd check them every 10,000 miles for wear.

Personally, if I wanted to or needed to adjust camber I'd get camber plates & do it right.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

So lets just assume im not going to use camber bolts so you guys can get back to help me instead of arguing.

Since my struts wont fit the gt500 mounts, is there any other mounts that will, and if not, what would be the best cc plates to get for the money

Old 07-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's not a shortcut..I've read countless reviews about camber bolts and have yet to hear about them breaking or failing. I'm just sharing my experience with using them. Not looking to get all scientific about "what ifs."

I've yet to actually know anyone with AIDS but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just cuz I haven't heard of it personally doesn't mean no one has AIDS except Magic Johnson that is. After all that's why he's called Magic "Johnson" - it's Magic it could fawk a dumpster of needles and come out unscathed but that's just him.

Not looking to get all scientific about what ifs? Lol

You should stop advising car stuff. Reckless disregard about "scientific what ifs" especially in a small projectile such as a car that can reach speeds of 150+mph and pull corners in excess of 1.0g is not something to be taken lightly and foolishly. Especially foolishly advising people without doing adequate research. Search on Google "camber bolt failures" and enjoy the "have yet to hear about them breaking or failing."

Old 07-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #31
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Go ahead and put camber bolts in. Just know the suspension is a ticking time bomb and can put you into a wall or oncoming traffic with any decent amount of speed.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So lets just assume im not going to use camber bolts so you guys can get back to help me instead of arguing.

Since my struts wont fit the gt500 mounts, is there any other mounts that will, and if not, what would be the best cc plates to get for the money

The argument was to help you lol

And at least a couple said Steeda which I agree. The plates by them look better designed and manufactured. I really like their sway bars too.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Sorry we got off track.
If you stick with the Koni Orange struts for the 11/14 Mustang you have the choice of buying some new strut mounts from Ford or buying CC plates. If you are able to change the order to the 05/09 struts then you can buy the GT500 strut mount.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone had an experience with the j&m plates? They are alot cheaper than steedas but dont know anything about them.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Has anyone had an experience with the j&m plates? They are alot cheaper than steedas but dont know anything about them.

I have them. They transfer some NVH but as far as doing its job it does. Steeda supposedly keeps NVH to a lesser minimum.

But my cc has been on for over 15-20k miles and is holding alignment like a champ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT