Upgrades - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
Upgrades

I drive a 2014 Mustang GT. I am going to get an exhaust system and air intake just like i had in my last 2007 GT. I was wondering what the best exhaust and air intake are for the money. Also I want to get a tune most likely because of the added hp and mpg but I have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty which im dumb for getting but id like to keep. My plan is to get a nice cat back and intake and swap them back to stock when I need to do maintenance. I was wondering if i bought a tune, for example like a bama tune, can you tune it back to stock before bringing it into the dealer or will it void my warranty. What should I do I just want to add Hp and not void this warranty for as cheap as possible.
white5.0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Void warranty?

Exhaust no

Intake with a Venturi tube like the airaid cai no

Tune any tune yes

They'll find out. The only way they might not find traces of the tune is if you fry the pcm and take you're mustang into the dealership brain dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There's a key cycle counter that is reset every time you flash the car. If your car has 10,000 miles and only 1 key cycle, you obviously reflashed it before you brought it in. Thats assuming they're looking for something like that, most times they are not, but they can find out if they want.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Void warranty?

Exhaust no

Intake with a Venturi tube like the airaid cai no

Tune any tune yes

They'll find out. The only way they might not find traces of the tune is if you fry the pcm and take you're mustang into the dealership brain dead.

So without a tune is it even worth getting the intake and exhaust and would a tune cause any problems. What is the reason for it voiding the warranty
Old 07-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
As MANY wise men have stated on the forums. Do not waste your money on a CAI. It's a complete waste. So with that said, if that was the only reason for the tune then don't get the tune. Spend that money on suspension to put what power you have to the ground.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The tune does depend on the dealership. My dealership personally said I can keep my warranty with a tune, but of course it's all subject to change if something real bad happens.
RJTheIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTheIV View Post
The tune does depend on the dealership. My dealership personally said I can keep my warranty with a tune, but of course it's all subject to change if something real bad happens.

Pffff better get that in writing. The minute your motor pops the guy who told you that disappears and the dealership acts like your crazy.

Op, if you plan to get a tune. March right back into that dealership and tell them you would like a refund for your extended warranty. Because it's a waste of money.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yep. Same thing as a "friend" saying he'll be there for you but when the shiiit hits the fan you'll quickly see who's gonna be there at ground zero.

Don't trust the dealer. Always doubt everything they say. There's so many times that even the expert trained service advisor didn't know his mouth from his *** end when explaining stuff to me.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by white5.0h View Post
So without a tune is it even worth getting the intake and exhaust and would a tune cause any problems. What is the reason for it voiding the warranty

Cai is useless. It's for looks and sound. Mainly sound of the intake. As for looks I've never ever seen anyone drive around with the hood off so no ones gonna see your intake. In fact intakes are so common even at car shows I've never ever looked at a car and said to myself OMFG that intake is bad ***.

As for voiding the warranty, tunes void the warranty because it changes all the parameters of the combustion and timing. It's doing things that the manufacturer didn't intend the motor to do such as advancing the timing so much that in cases of bad gas there's no safety margin so ends up blowing the engine. Or most tunes allow the user to rev past 7500rpm. The stress on the engine at 7500rpm is not 1/6 or 1/7th more than at 6500. Its exponential with speed.

The saying "You gotta pay to play" is exactly right here. There are consequences to going out of warranty. No one will fault you for trying to get Ford to pay for stuff that breaks cuz of aftermarket mods but if they don't pay and you gotta foot the bill you got no one to blame but yourself... that or the shiiitty company that tuned your Stang. Lol

Old 07-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep. Same thing as a "friend" saying he'll be there for you but when the shiiit hits the fan you'll quickly see who's gonna be there at ground zero.

Don't trust the dealer. Always doubt everything they say. There's so many times that even the expert trained service advisor didn't know his mouth from his *** end when explaining stuff to me.

We are good friends with the owner, and the guy in charge of the shop. It's not just some random dealer.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
We are good friends with the owner, and the guy in charge of the shop. It's not just some random dealer.

1.) The dealer isn't the one that will foot the bill when the mustang gets warranty service. FoMoCo is the one that pays for it. They have the final say on what's serviced under warranty. Some things they will pay automatically but major ops like new tranny or new engine will require documentations.

2.) If they deny the claim then someone else will pay. Will the dealer then pay for the service? Or will they try to trick FoMoCo on your behalf by being unclear about things in their report thereby risking losing their license etc...

Hey you may be good friends. And he may go ahead and back you up till Armageddon but nothing's happened yet so I still wouldn't hold my breath and bet my hand and go all in on his word.

My advice still holds. You gotta pay to play and if you're not willing or are not comfortable with paying to play then stay home and watch Netflix.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Some people when they get told that warranty will be voided and that there's a very real and very distinct chance they will need to foot the bill they always claim they know or have some special relationship with the dealer whereby the cost of a new motor ($6-8k after parts and labor) will automatically be paid for because "it's not just some random dealer" and "they're not just some random customer."

If you have such a connection then just tune your car. Doesn't matter. Why even ask the question will it void my warranty?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

OP don't listen to people who claim special relationship. Go into everything eyes wide open and know all the risks.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OP don't listen to people who claim special relationship. Go into everything eyes wide open and know all the risks.

Of course he still needs to understand the risks. I was only stating some personal experience. Most of the time if not all the time your warranty is gonna get thrown out the window for a tune.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Go with the suspension build. You will be amazed how the car feels when it plants whatever power you have to the ground. I went and drove a Roush stage III last week and passed on it after I test drove it. I was not overly impressed with the sloppiness. Yes it was fast but so loose and sluggish.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #16

Is there anything I can do to add hp without voiding the warranty?
Old 07-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #17

Will a full exhaust system including headers void it?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

Yes because you will still need to tune for the headers.
BlackBetty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty much everything will require a tune because it's so closely modulated by the engines computer. Anything before the cat will throw a CEL.

Not sure if anyone has done this but perhaps you can buy a whole new PCM and physically swap it out and upload aftermarket tunes to the new PCM. Not at all sure what is required to do that.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:46 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Is there anything I can do to add hp without voiding the warranty?
Nope

Quote:
Yep
Quote:
Pretty much everything will require a tune because it's so closely modulated by the engines computer. Anything before the cat will throw a CEL.

Not sure if anyone has done this but perhaps you can buy a whole new PCM and physically swap it out and upload aftermarket tunes to the new PCM. Not at all sure what is required to do that.
Won't work since you'd still have to take it to a dealer to deal with the PATS system.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Build a relationship with your dealers' service advisor/mgr. It goes a long way. If your power window goes out and you pull in with your turbo mustang they are not going to void your warranty unless your an ***. Don't expect them to fix your motor for free if that turbo helped send the piston out of the block. Common sense guys'.
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT