Am I running lean at WOT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
ResilientMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: JBLM
Region: Washington
Posts: 21
Am I running lean at WOT?

Ok to make a long story short: I am switching tuners. I am not going to mention names on here to keep vendor bashing at a minimum (I bet some people could guess who is who though lol). The new tuner is worried that I have been running "dead lean at WOT". At this point I know who I'm using for the new tune, and I am just trying to rule out if my engine could currently be damaged. The new tuner recommends that I run a relative compression test before the new tune just to be safe, and I will be doing that in the next week.

Short history: I have been running the complete Cobra Jet setup with monoblade throttle body and this crap tune for less than 700 miles. The car has never been raced and I red lined fit for the first time during this datalog. The new tuner was iffy about tuning it until I talked about my grandma-like driving habits. I attached my most recent datalog for everyone to review. Green is RPM, blue is measured AFR, and yellow is knock activity.

Also, does anyone know what the knock activity is all about? Is that normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (3).png
Views:	131
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	187274  
__________________
2014 GT Premium. Cobra Jet Intake with monoblade throttle body and FRPP CAI. Ford Racing Sport axle backs. Pypes off road H pipe. Numerous appearance mods, it was a plain blue Mustang when I bought it.
ResilientMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
ResilientMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: JBLM
Region: Washington
Posts: 21
Here is another screenshot with the AFR values on the left of the datalog graph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (4).png
Views:	124
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	187275  
__________________
2014 GT Premium. Cobra Jet Intake with monoblade throttle body and FRPP CAI. Ford Racing Sport axle backs. Pypes off road H pipe. Numerous appearance mods, it was a plain blue Mustang when I bought it.
ResilientMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Columbia
Region: Illinois
Posts: 134
It looks like you are getting knock activity and your timing is low.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
ResilientMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: JBLM
Region: Washington
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by litfuse View Post
It looks like you are getting knock activity and your timing is low


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

The spark advance is between 22 and 28.5 throughout the datalog.


As far as the knock I am not sure what that is all about, but it looks like the knock sensors are correcting it. I used Chevron premium when I fueled up last.
__________________
2014 GT Premium. Cobra Jet Intake with monoblade throttle body and FRPP CAI. Ford Racing Sport axle backs. Pypes off road H pipe. Numerous appearance mods, it was a plain blue Mustang when I bought it.
ResilientMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: College Station
Region: Texas
Posts: 23
I know i had the same sort of knock activity im my logs. My tuner told me it was because of the fuel in my area (shell 93 V power) said the car needed to get used to it with the new tune loaded...
WundrbreadzDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
utm18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: trenton
Region: Ohio
Posts: 267
Knock- positive # means your knock sensors are detecting knock activities and is removing timing. A negative number means there is no knock activities and it will add timing.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Columbia
Region: Illinois
Posts: 134
Your average timing range is low for full throttle. If I was reading that correctly, it was 23.5, right?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Newcastle
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 33
I wouldn't call 0.84 lean, that is a safe lambda. Any leaner like 0.9 would be cause for concern. Stock is 0.81 if I remember the stock tune right.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2014 Mustang 5.0 Brembo Package, 401A
2010 Camaro V6 Supercharged
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientMidget View Post
The spark advance is between 22 and 28.5 throughout the datalog.


As far as the knock I am not sure what that is all about, but it looks like the knock sensors are correcting it. I used Chevron premium when I fueled up last.
I have had a can'd tune in my car for the past 8 months (bought my TrakPak with 2700 miles and I now have 8400 miles) and I've been buying Chevron the whole time. I started having issues and the car just didn't perform the way it has in the past. Went to AED and did some data logging and I'm getting positive knock at 2k rpm to 7k rpm but not at partial throttle to 5k rpm....0 knock.
So I just ran the Chevron gas out and filled it up with Costco gas which is what AED recommended.......................the difference is like night and day. The motor is more responsive and just feels and even idles better.............I've driven about 25 miles filling up. AED told me that Chevron gas down in California is crap and my guess it's the same up here/down here in Oregon. I'm going up to Portland today and back home....about 200 miles and when I get back I'll do some data logging to see if the knock is still there. I did order some GT100 unleaded 100 octane gas as AED suggested and will still run some through the car to see what difference it makes from the Costco gas.................Also, here in Oregon we can only get 91 octane.........................Costco was 92 octane.
I do have a separate thread about my tune and what I've done so far...New Tune for My Mustang.
If I could figure out how to post a picture of the data log I'd do it.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,453
The AFR is not dangerously lean, it actually looks about spot on. As far as the knock, its hard to say without the full log what is actually going on. Can you post the entire log for us?
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
ResilientMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: JBLM
Region: Washington
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
If I could figure out how to post a picture of the data log I'd do it.
If you have windows just hold the windows button down (bottom left of keyboard) and then press the "prt sc" which is right above the backspace key. Do this while you are looking at your datalog. The screen will dim shortly, that is the computer capturing your image. The image gets saved to your pictures folder.
__________________
2014 GT Premium. Cobra Jet Intake with monoblade throttle body and FRPP CAI. Ford Racing Sport axle backs. Pypes off road H pipe. Numerous appearance mods, it was a plain blue Mustang when I bought it.
ResilientMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
ResilientMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: JBLM
Region: Washington
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The AFR is not dangerously lean, it actually looks about spot on. As far as the knock, its hard to say without the full log what is actually going on. Can you post the entire log for us?
Ok here is the entire data log. I pulled it on the freeway, someone cut me off in the process, and as a result you can see my RPMs stagger during the first half of the datalog. When I let my foot off the gas to compensate for the other driver the AFR spiked, and I am starting to think that's what freaked my new tuner out. I ran a second WOT at the end of the datalog and that is why the RPMs rise evenly and the AFR stays around .80

This datalog shows knock and RPM, and it looks like the knock happens on acceleration. Could this be bad gas or part of my current tune? I am worried about the knock at this point as the AFR does look spot on. Car drives funny with the CJ setup though, and I have heard that the new tuner can really dial it in nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (6).png
Views:	86
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	187332  
__________________
2014 GT Premium. Cobra Jet Intake with monoblade throttle body and FRPP CAI. Ford Racing Sport axle backs. Pypes off road H pipe. Numerous appearance mods, it was a plain blue Mustang when I bought it.
ResilientMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientMidget View Post
Ok here is the entire data log. I pulled it on the freeway, someone cut me off in the process, and as a result you can see my RPMs stagger during the first half of the datalog. When I let my foot off the gas to compensate for the other driver the AFR spiked, and I am starting to think that's what freaked my new tuner out. I ran a second WOT at the end of the datalog and that is why the RPMs rise evenly and the AFR stays around .80

This datalog shows knock and RPM, and it looks like the knock happens on acceleration. Could this be bad gas or part of my current tune? I am worried about the knock at this point as the AFR does look spot on. Car drives funny with the CJ setup though, and I have heard that the new tuner can really dial it in nicely.
No lol, like literally the log file so i can open it up on my computer and look through it. Its hard to say definitively without all the information.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
ResilientMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: JBLM
Region: Washington
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I have had a can'd tune in my car for the past 8 months (bought my TrakPak with 2700 miles and I now have 8400 miles) Went to AED and did some data logging and I'm getting positive knock at 2k rpm to 7k rpm but not at partial throttle to 5k rpm....0 knock.
So I just ran the Chevron gas out and filled it up with Costco gas which is what AED recommended.......................the difference is like night and day. .
That sounds pretty similar to what im experiencing, thank you. We have 92 octane in Washington state, but I have been buying my premium on the Army installation that I live on. I'm going to go try Costco.
__________________
2014 GT Premium. Cobra Jet Intake with monoblade throttle body and FRPP CAI. Ford Racing Sport axle backs. Pypes off road H pipe. Numerous appearance mods, it was a plain blue Mustang when I bought it.
ResilientMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientMidget View Post
If you have windows just hold the windows button down (bottom left of keyboard) and then press the "prt sc" which is right above the backspace key. Do this while you are looking at your datalog. The screen will dim shortly, that is the computer capturing your image. The image gets saved to your pictures folder.
I tried that but the screen never dimmed and nothing got saved. Sorry I'm not much with computers.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientMidget View Post
That sounds pretty similar to what im experiencing, thank you. We have 92 octane in Washington state, but I have been buying my premium on the Army installation that I live on. I'm going to go try Costco.
Let me know if the Costco gas works.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I tried that but the screen never dimmed and nothing got saved. Sorry I'm not much with computers.
Hey, posting pictures doesn't help much, if you want to just throw up the excel log file i'd be happy to go through it with you.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,712
I've tried before to upload the excel spreadsheet but it keeps coming up with an error message.
I'm heading out for my 200 road trip and burning the tank of 92 Octane and when I get back tomorrow I'll do another WOT data log to see if knock is there.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
ResilientMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: JBLM
Region: Washington
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Hey, posting pictures doesn't help much, if you want to just throw up the excel log file i'd be happy to go through it with you.
I private messaged you.
__________________
2014 GT Premium. Cobra Jet Intake with monoblade throttle body and FRPP CAI. Ford Racing Sport axle backs. Pypes off road H pipe. Numerous appearance mods, it was a plain blue Mustang when I bought it.
ResilientMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I've tried before to upload the excel spreadsheet but it keeps coming up with an error message.
I'm heading out for my 200 road trip and burning the tank of 92 Octane and when I get back tomorrow I'll do another WOT data log to see if knock is there.
PM me and ill get it sorted for you.


I made a thread on datalogs a while back for the V6 guys if any of yall want to poke through it.

How to: Understand your datalogs
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
PM me and ill get it sorted for you.


I made a thread on datalogs a while back for the V6 guys if any of yall want to poke through it.

How to: Understand your datalogs
Thanks,
I'll look through it and PM you when I get back.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
ResilientMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: JBLM
Region: Washington
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
PM me and ill get it sorted for you.


I made a thread on datalogs a while back for the V6 guys if any of yall want to poke through it.
That was a fantastic write-up. I installed my modifications myself and have been self conscious about a possible leak. I think it is amazing that I can check for leaks by looking at the short term fuel trims. I learned something today.
__________________
2014 GT Premium. Cobra Jet Intake with monoblade throttle body and FRPP CAI. Ford Racing Sport axle backs. Pypes off road H pipe. Numerous appearance mods, it was a plain blue Mustang when I bought it.
ResilientMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientMidget View Post
That was a fantastic write-up. I installed my modifications myself and have been self conscious about a possible leak. I think it is amazing that I can check for leaks by looking at the short term fuel trims. I learned something today.

glad it helped
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:12 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,712
Great writeup.........................I just need to read through it a couple of more times with my excel sheet in front of me.
Thanks for all of the help.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running Lean Her98StangV6 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 50 09-08-2015 06:11 PM
Still running rich at WOT! hades1346 1996-2004 Mustang GT 4 07-18-2015 02:32 PM
Running lean ColeJohnson 1996-2004 Mustang GT 20 01-29-2012 07:00 PM
1998 4.6 running lean on bank 1 and 2 eddie1 1996-2004 Mustang GT 22 11-28-2009 05:54 PM
Running Too Lean... MyStangStanks Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 11 10-16-2006 06:29 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:05 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.