Catch can questions. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #36
Supporter

Region: Texas
Catch can questions.

I just measured mine out. Right at 1,004 miles and 13ml of "oil". I was noticing my car having more buildup than usual on the exhaust tips so I emptied it... To me that is a lot. I left my phone in the house so I didn't get a picture....

EDIT: For clarification my car has 33,XXX miles on it. Trip B helped out with the Oil separator recording.
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I just checked mine after almost 1000 miles and it had 8ml.....kind of normal as I usually have about 3ml after 300 miles. My tail pipes show hardly anything just a little black/grey soot.
I've been running the catch can since it had 5000 miles and it now has almost 10,000 and I usually check it once a month.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I just emptied my firewall mount four chamber new style UPR can last week after running for about 1,100 miles and got 20ml of oil out.

My exhaust tips are perfectly clean. I have been running a catch can on this car since it was new and have never had any buildup inside the exhaust tips. If you run your finger inside it, there is only a very slight hint of black on your finger. I'm pretty sure the catch can has helped for this since I see many other Mustangs that I'm sure are not running a can that have very black exhaust tips.

Wayne
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #39
Supporter

Here are my tips 3 days after detailing the car:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441386726.028119.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	190590
Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Here are the inside of my GT500 tips after about two weeks since the car has been washed and after the car has been driven almost every day in that time. I've had these mufflers on the car since about March of 2014.

Left tip.

Right tip.

Wayne
Old 09-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Picture of my 2014 twin tip GT500's....haven't been detailed for at least 2/3 months and had a fairly quick 686 mile trip a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-09-04 10.15.27.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	190601  
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #42
Supporter

Guess mine is unusual then....
Old 09-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Guess mine is unusual then....
Part of your problem may be that JLT is not known for being the best catch can and it's probably letting more oil in to the intake than our catch cans do.

Check the inside of the fitting that connects to the intake barb and see how much oil you find. If you find liquid oil there, then the can is letting oil through.

Wayne
Old 09-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #44
Supporter

Looks like it's time for a different can... I checked, there was a bit of oil in there.
The new model UPR can looks solid, any other good ones that I should know of?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:58 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

The Bob's Auto Sports can is also a very good can and one I would recommend. Here are a few pictures of the Bob's can on my car as well as the new four chamber UPR on my car.

I was running the UPR can until last week when I went to empty it and discovered that the O-ring that seals the lower can to the top of the can had stretched out and would not fit back on when I went to screw the bottom back on.

I then re-installed my Bob's can until UPR can send me some new O-rings. I mounted the Bob's can in the corner of the engine compartment next to the master cylinder instead of on the strut tower like I used to have it mounted.
Bob's can on strut tower

UPR can mounted at firewall.

Bob's can mounted in corner of engine compartment.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

The Bob's Auto Sports can is also a very good can and one I would recommend. Here are a few pictures of the Bob's can on my car as well as the new four chamber UPR on my car.

I was running the UPR can until last week when I went to empty it and discovered that the O-ring that seals the lower can to the top of the can had stretched out and would not fit back on when I went to screw the bottom back on.

I then re-installed my Bob's can until UPR can send me some new O-rings. I mounted the Bob's can in the corner of the engine compartment next to the master cylinder instead of on the strut tower like I used to have it mounted.
Bob's can on strut tower

UPR can mounted at firewall.

Bob's can mounted in corner of engine compartment.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

I forgot to mention that I bought the shorter mounting bracket from Bob's to use in the corner of the engine compartment installation. The strut tower installation comes with a longer bracket.

I also forgot to mention that Bob's also has a firewall mount that comes with a bracket that you mount to the firewall by drilling holes in it right under where I have the UPR can mounted.

Wayne
Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Didn't realize I'm already due for an oil change but I've done roughly 5,000 miles in the last two months(driving to MGW and vacation in Illinois). My UPR catch can was about half full when I checked it today. I'm at about 20,700 on my odometer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	191219  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #48
Supporter

I will probably end up with that new catch can. I do like that UPR can though. Has a simple and clean look to it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT