Catch can questions. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Catch can questions.

I have a 14GT that now has about 20k miles. I've never used a catch can before but understand there's some real benefits to using one.
Is it kinda too late to worry about adding one now or is any time the right time? Just how much oil collects in it every time it's due for an oil change? I'm currently doing mine between 3 to 5k miles with M1 extended performance 5w20 and Motorcraft filter FL500S.
I'm thinking of getting the JLT passenger side can. The main thing holding me back is its $120 and isn't one of those mods you buy and can see on your car and think..."That's sweet!" It's a hidden maintenance mod that may or may not be required , so spending that extra money keeps getting postponed for things like bills and stupid stuff.
Also, anyone running the Ford Racing FL820 larger filter? Benefits to it or no?
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have run breathers (pvc delete) since 3000 miles. I have no vacuum issues nor codes. When I swapped intakes at 5k miles my intake ports (into the head) were coated with oil from the first 3k miles. I thoroughly cleaned them up before cj install. I honestly believe it helps a ton with the crankcase ventilation along with keeping knock down. No more burnt oil and gases (highly acidic) being recirculated through my engine. The usual experts will have their own opinions...
Old 07-19-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I've been running a UPR Plug-n-Play w/Goodyear hoses for almost 5000 miles.
It's the older design not the newer design and I check it every 200/300 miles. At that interval is usually has maybe a teaspoon or so of oil in it with no oil in the line that goes into the intake.
When I took my stock one off there was oil in the side of the line that went into the intake...................and putting oil back into the intake side of the motor....at least for me was not acceptable.
I just had a friend that put one on his 2009 CS/GT...............we'll see what he has to say.
I've run valve cover breathers on all of my drag cars and although some people do put them on the mod motors..................I never have so I can't say anything good or bad...................it's your car do what you want.
My 14 is a TrakPak car so I run 5/50w Motorcraft oil and the FL500S which is the filter that came on the car. I changed oil the first time at 4500 miles and will change again at 9500 miles (the car now has 8500). I looked at the FL820S when I was at my dealer............and I'm not sure it would fit on my Mustang as it has the oil cooler and there doesn't appear to be a lot or room. I measured the FL500S and it was like 2"x1.225"x2" where the FL820S was almost 4.5"x4"x4.5. Since I get a discount on the oil and filter (I paid $5.50 for the filter and $7.50 per quart...............all 8qts worth. Buying the FL820S was like double the price of the stock and still a Motorcraft unit. I lot of people will say sure, a bigger filter is always better..............other than holding a little more oil and having a little more filtering material....................not much difference. If your car will allow for the larger filter I'd say go for it..................
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Seems to be a hit or miss modification. I’ve run passenger side catch cans: JLT w/1.5 ounce capacity on my 2012 V6 w/22,000 miles and a Moroso w/3.0 ounce capacity on my 2014 V8 w/10,000 miles. They both collected on an average: 1/4 to 1/3 ounce per 1,000 miles. (the larger capacity units have less maintenance intervals) Not everyone will agree that they are even needed and/or which brand is the best. Accurate measuring can be done with a dosage glass or a similar marked cup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1$_57 - Copy.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	187480  
Old 07-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I run the passenger side JLT as well. It collects about what everyone else says. Easy enough to unscrew the little can and pour it back in the engine. Rather not have it gum up the air passages.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I'm running the jlt passenger side can. It works.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Guess its time for me to check my filter. I've been running one now for about 2,000 miles and haven't looked in there yet!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Guess its time for me to check my filter. I've been running one now for about 2,000 miles and haven't looked in there yet!
Take a picture of what you find..................
Old 07-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Supporter

Region: Texas
I installed a passenger side catch can (JLT) in my stock 2011 GT last night. I will check in a two weeks to see how much it has collected. I usually drive 160-200 miles a week.
So I can just dump this back into the motor oil or should I dispose of it? I do have an oil change coming up in 2k miles.

If I could do it over again I would order one from UPR or Moroso.
Spartanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:44 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Don't put the oil back in the engine, get rid of it. I'm currently running one of UPR's new firewall mounted four chamber cans and so far it seems to be doing a good job but I have not run it very many miles yet. The last time I checked it, I was still getting some oil residue in the outlet side of the hose so I will see how it compared to the Bob's can I was running before.

Wayne
Old 07-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I asked my tuner which he thought which was more benifical, breathers or catch cans. His response was neither, that he prefers to use a pcv valve from a 2011 f150 eccoboost.
I picked one up for $12 and have noticed that my oil consumption has reduced substantially.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by utm18 View Post
I asked my tuner which he thought which was more benifical, breathers or catch cans. His response was neither, that he prefers to use a pcv valve from a 2011 f150 eccoboost.
I picked one up for $12 and have noticed that my oil consumption has reduced substantially.

Your tuner must be aed.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #13
Supporter

Cool, I figured the "oil" was junk but someone asked me if I could just dump it back in....
I can't help myself, I will check the can tomorrow before I head off for a half day at "work". I have checked the hoses and what not every day since I have had it, no leaks yet.
Spartanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz View Post
I run the passenger side JLT as well. It collects about what everyone else says. Easy enough to unscrew the little can and pour it back in the engine. Rather not have it gum up the air passages.

Confused now....
Old 07-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

There is no reason to pour the oil back in the engine. If you run your car during the colder months, you will see some water mixed in with the oil and you sure don't want that back in your engine.

Wayne
Old 07-26-2015, 10:26 PM   #16
Supporter

I checked mine the the other morning and had some sludge. Not enough to get a good picture of but still more than I think that should be going back into the motor.
My boss said that his truck was kind of "throwing" out some smoke when he would hammer down on the gas but the catch can helped reduce that a lot.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I've got them on both sides, I think it's a great investment IMHO.
BAMA Tuned, Boss IM,Pypes cat-back exhaust, Lethal o/r x-pipe, Airaid CAI, BMR lca's w/ relo brackets, J&M PanHard Bar, Barton 2 post short shifter w/bracket, Ford Racing lowering springs, 20x10.5/20x9 Vossen CV3's, JTL Driver and Passenger Side Oil Separators, Sound-tube delete, Redline Elite hood struts, XPEL clear bra, Weather Tech Floor mats, Black 5.0 badges, LED lights throughout, Custom stripes and roof vinyl.
ATL5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL5.0 View Post
I've got them on both sides, I think it's a great investment IMHO.
There is nothing to catch on the intake side of the system (drivers side) as this is where the motor takes in the air................the passenger side lets the air out and into the intake although I guess it's not detrimental.........IMHO
Old 07-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by utm18 View Post
I'll second the AED remark made by WhiteCali5oh, Shaun told me the same thing.
He also told me to run Costco Premium instead of Chevron.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My catch can is normally about 1/4 full changing oil every 2k miles. Don't dump it back into the engine just dump it into your drain pan when you change it!
14GRAYGTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
I have run breathers (pvc delete) since 3000 miles. I have no vacuum issues nor codes. When I swapped intakes at 5k miles my intake ports (into the head) were coated with oil from the first 3k miles. I thoroughly cleaned them up before cj install. I honestly believe it helps a ton with the crankcase ventilation along with keeping knock down. No more burnt oil and gases (highly acidic) being recirculated through my engine. The usual experts will have their own opinions...
I too went with breathers. Had them on within 5 miles of being new. Best way to go!
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #22
Supporter

Catch can questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
I too went with breathers. Had them on within 5 miles of being new. Best way to go!

Got a link or 2 to some? I've looked around but haven't found anything decent... Kind of wondering what others are using....
Old 07-29-2015, 05:43 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

breathers

Sorry I don't remember who I ordered them thru. You should be able to do a search. Maybe try Summit.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #24
Supporter

Catch can questions.

Couldn't help myself... I checked the can, had a little under 1/4 of the can. Didn't seem too watery. Still has some golden color left in it. I tried to get a decent picture but wasn't happening. Now I can reset "trip B" to get a accurate reading...

I did find some breathers but I'd rather stick with the can for now. I'll rethink that when the can fails.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I've had my car for almost a year 1/2 and still can't decide what to get. There's a lot of options on catch cans, one of the ones I won't get for sure is the jlt ones. Since a lot of ppl keep saying they don't catch a lot of oil compared to others, and that the hoses don't last. I've also was thinking of getting of getting breathers, since they are a better option than the catch cans and will catch all the oil. But ppl have said they smoke? Or that sometimes they spill oil everywhere. So I'm
Still debating on what to get.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
I've had my car for almost a year 1/2 and still can't decide what to get. There's a lot of options on catch cans, one of the ones I won't get for sure is the jlt ones. Since a lot of ppl keep saying they don't catch a lot of oil compared to others, and that the hoses don't last. I've also was thinking of getting of getting breathers, since they are a better option than the catch cans and will catch all the oil. But ppl have said they smoke? Or that sometimes they spill oil everywhere. So I'm
Still debating on what to get.

Well I have had the JLT one for about 2,000 miles now. It has caught about 1 ounce of oil. To me, that is 1 more then before (when I had no catch can). Also, the hosing is OEM hose. It is cut and both halves go in to the sides of the can. I have not seen any leaks of oil or vacuum leaks. I don't regret paying the $100 or w/e.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Well I have had the JLT one for about 2,000 miles now. It has caught about 1 ounce of oil. To me, that is 1 more then before (when I had no catch can). Also, the hosing is OEM hose. It is cut and both halves go in to the sides of the can. I have not seen any leaks of oil or vacuum leaks. I don't regret paying the $100 or w/e.

I guess it's on some of the jlt cans, because I've searched and searched and ppl tend to say they don't catch a lot of oil. I'm those type of ppl that If I'm spending 100 something on something small, I want a good quality one lol.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #28
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
I guess it's on some of the jlt cans, because I've searched and searched and ppl tend to say they don't catch a lot of oil. I'm those type of ppl that If I'm spending 100 something on something small, I want a good quality one lol.

I understand. It can be hit and miss with just about any item though. The best you can do is research and purchase with a warranty and return policy. That was if it is messed up or you want to return that, you are free to do so.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

My can has caught quite a bit of oil, probably every 500 miles I empty it out and get between and one and three onces................and there are is no oil in the hose going to the intake. The hoses I bought come with the can and they have the same connectors as the factory ones, and the hoses on mine are braided Goodyear.........as it gets pretty toasty under the hood you need to have some good quality. Next week I'm going on a special spirited 700+ mile cruise................I'll empty it before I leave and see what I have when I get back.
I've had breathers on race cars in the past, and if you do get breathers make sure the pipe is baffled...........that will help with any oil from coming out the breather or filter. This is what I've used in the past as the pipe/tube has two baffles;

Valve Cover Breather Kit - JOES Racing Products
Old 08-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Still debating on what
Had mine on for 3500 miles. Not one drop of oil anywhere on my motor. No mess at all.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Take a picture of what you find..................
I didn't take a picture of the oil, but I used a cough medicine cup. The oil was to the 1/2 teaspoon mark. Or 2.5ml after approx. 2,000 miles. Unless they dumped it for me while changing my oil about 1,000 miles ago.

There was a little bit of residue around one of the clamp fittings so I clamped it a little tighter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150809_140215.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	188915  
Old 08-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I have a 14GT that now has about 20k miles. I've never used a catch can before but understand there's some real benefits to using one.
Is it kinda too late to worry about adding one now or is any time the right time? Just how much oil collects in it every time it's due for an oil change? I'm currently doing mine between 3 to 5k miles with M1 extended performance 5w20 and Motorcraft filter FL500S.
I'm thinking of getting the JLT passenger side can. The main thing holding me back is its $120 and isn't one of those mods you buy and can see on your car and think..."That's sweet!" It's a hidden maintenance mod that may or may not be required , so spending that extra money keeps getting postponed for things like bills and stupid stuff.
Also, anyone running the Ford Racing FL820 larger filter? Benefits to it or no?
I'm getting close to 17K on my 2014 too. I didn't see if anyone answered your question on is it too late to add one now?
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Never too late to stop more oil from going in the engine.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Never too late to stop more oil from going in the engine.
True enough...
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I typically get 1/4 of the can full in roughly 1500 miles. I think the JLT does its job well.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT