Suspension making popping noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Suspension making popping noise

Just installed h&r super sport lowering springs on stock struts and shocks with panhard bar and control arms and it makes a popping/clunking noise when going over little crack and bumps on the road on passenger front and sometime rear
The driver side doesn't at all
karanvirgill5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It will for a few weeks, will eventually go away once your suspension is settled down. Your springs are quite aggressive for stock struts and shocks, might as well replace them sooner than later

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Almost 6000 miles ago I lowered the Mustang with Sportline springs.............the car had 2700 miles on it with stock suspension.............. and used the stock strut mounts and stock struts. It started creaking and popping sound on the drivers side. I had the alignment checked and although it's at the top end of Ford's Caster spec and the bottom of the Camber spec it has never stopped making the noise. I've done some serious corner carving in the past 6000 miles.....................the stock strut mounts and struts/shocks were never designed to be lowered and with the H&R springs you are lower than my Sportlines.
When you lowered your car did the fasteners get torqued back to factory specs?
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Its your strut mount. You need to upgrade the mount to the GT500 mounts or go with a caster/camber plate. Many of us get the pop when lowering and its fixed with the parts I just mentioned. I went with the maximum motor sports cast camber plates and the problem is solved. It will also let you align you car properly when that time comes as well.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
As stated a few times, it's the strut mount. One time use and if any of the ball bearings fell out or the mount was disturbed from the disassembly and reassembly it will do this. It won't go away. Just get worse.

🇺🇸Vote Ox for July MOTM!🇺🇸

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
Its your strut mount. You need to upgrade the mount to the GT500 mounts or go with a caster/camber plate. Many of us get the pop when lowering and its fixed with the parts I just mentioned. I went with the maximum motor sports cast camber plates and the problem is solved. It will also let you align you car properly when that time comes as well.
If I get gt500 strut mounts will they fit koni yellow struts and shock because I am upgrading to them in a month or so if not what do it do
Old 07-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What should I get for right now for the stock struts and shock
Old 07-20-2015, 03:02 AM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I'm probably not gonna be liked for this but in my personal experience...

I started with lowering springs and an adjustable bmr pan hard bar. I'd hear little creaks and pops in the rear and also the occasional thud from the front passenger side.

I then went with a pair MM/CC plates. No change.
I then went with a bmr upper and lower control arms, the ones with the spherical bearings. No change.

I then ditched the cc plates and springs and stock shocks and went with BC coilovers and the noise got hella worse plus my rear bump stops were riding on the frame so I had to trim them which seriously diminished my ride quality.

The reason the car was so noisy, I believe is because I lowered the car too much. I drastically changed the geometry of the suspension, weight distribution, center of gravity and the ride quality suffered.

Although, the car did handle far better than it did when it was stock and looked fresh as ****. It just sounded like a hunk of crap in the cab.

Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^^^This^^^

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by karanvirgill5.0 View Post
If I get gt500 strut mounts will they fit koni yellow struts and shock because I am upgrading to them in a month or so if not what do it do

Yes, just get 05-10 KONI yellows or oranges. The top of a 11-14 strut won't work with that mount. No difference other than the length

🇺🇸Vote Ox for July MOTM!🇺🇸

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Almost 6000 miles ago I lowered the Mustang with Sportline springs.............the car had 2700 miles on it with stock suspension.............. and used the stock strut mounts and stock struts. It started creaking and popping sound on the drivers side. I had the alignment checked and although it's at the top end of Ford's Caster spec and the bottom of the Camber spec it has never stopped making the noise. I've done some serious corner carving in the past 6000 miles.....................the stock strut mounts and struts/shocks were never designed to be lowered and with the H&R springs you are lower than my Sportlines.

When you lowered your car did the fasteners get torqued back to factory specs?

How low can you go on the factory struts just wondering in your opinion. I have the SR on the OEM ones and it's a little bouncy but manageable.

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The Steeda HD Mounts are able to align the front end properly and get rid of the weak OE mounts ... they offer more adjustability than the GT500 mounts.

If you would like ... I can set you up with one of our sales professionals to provide forum pricing & get you dialed in.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Forum pricing?
Yes please.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I have super sports with boss 302 adj struts and shocks and it is quiet as can be.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I have eibach pro street S coil overs so I wouldn't know about any fitment on the koni's. Oxford5pointoh seems to know so I would go with what he said about buying the 05-10s

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:48 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Got the strut mount tightened a little bit more and bam no more noise
Old 08-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Excellent - glad you were able to resolve it!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT