New Headlights Coming - Great Deal! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

New Headlights Coming - Great Deal!

So I just pulled the trigger on a pair of 2013-14 headlights! Got a great deal on them so I just had to, even if they don't come with the ballast or bulbs. Paid 150 for them from a buddy online. Now my question is, how do I go about hooking it up on my 2011 halogen set up I have right now. Is projector retrofits the only guy that makes the harness? And also where can I buy the hids and ballasts? Or would there be any possible way to acoid that and go with a aftermarket hid set up and still keep the LED running lights and turn signals. Thanks in advance guys.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438051946.304923.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	188158

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
robbespz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I ended up buying the oem ballast and bulb but still no word from projectoretrofits so I filed a paypal claim after two months of waiting. Anybody else know who could help me out with this? Ive tried contacting multiple retrofitters with no luck. Anybody with a projectoretrofits harness that did this willing to send me a pic of what the 16 cavity that connects to the headlight looks like and what wires are coming out the back of it. I know it's a long shot but at this point I'm desperate, might just end up selling them.

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 09-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

that's a steal for the housings! sadly, you are at the mercy of Joe at projectoretrofits.com, he's the only one that makes a harness and he takes advantage of that, the way he runs his business is inexcusable smh

sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
that's a steal for the housings! sadly, you are at the mercy of Joe at projectoretrofits.com, he's the only one that makes a harness and he takes advantage of that, the way he runs his business is inexcusable smh

Yeah I jumped on that deal, the bulb and ballast were more expensive haha but yeah so I've heard, I contacted another guy that can hopefully help me, HID Masters, they did the job for a guy I found online on Instagram so hopefully he gets back with me and can get this whole thing fixed. Waiting two months with no email reply or no assurance that the product was actually being made is no way to run a business regardless if it's a side job for him. I had high hopes that all the stuff people had said in the past were just a couple bad experiences but I was wrong.

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 09-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbespz5.0 View Post
I contacted another guy that can hopefully help me, HID Masters, they did the job for a guy I found online on Instagram so hopefully he gets back with me and can get this whole thing fixed.
keep us updated on this, I'm sure many other forum members would give him their business for the harness

Old 09-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
IMO, ppl go through way too much damn trouble for HIDs... I mean those are OEM and are going to look good but... hey we all do stuff to our cars that many ppl would be like "but it just goes from point A to point B".

That said, if this one guy figured it out, there is no way that someone who works with this sort of stuff every day for a living couldn't figure out. I'm not saying I could, but... I dunno.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
IMO, ppl go through way too much damn trouble for HIDs... I mean those are OEM and are going to look good but... hey we all do stuff to our cars that many ppl would be like "but it just goes from point A to point B".

That said, if this one guy figured it out, there is no way that someone who works with this sort of stuff every day for a living couldn't figure out. I'm not saying I could, but... I dunno.

Yeah I'm learning the hard way, I thought getting the housings was going to be the hardest part but it actually turned out to be the easiest and cheapest. And you'd be surprised how many people I've called and they've all had the same answer saying that they can't because it's a vehicle specific connection (16 cavity) and have referred me back to projectoretrofits, hopefully this new guy I contacted is able to help me out, if not, the housing and bulbs are going on sale.

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 09-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'd sell them and try to turn a profit at the deal you got for them. Why not try for some 11/12 HIDs if you really want them? Those should be PnP right?

If not, get a set of Philips Xtreme Power 9008 bulbs and run those. That is the brightest and best focused halogen available for the 05-14 housings.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah trust me I've thought about it but even if I went with the 10-12 oem hid i still need a harness because of the different connections.

Yeah I might go that way instead if this doesn't go through.

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 09-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well have kind of good news, picked up the connectors for the back of the headlights (16 cavity) and they fit perfect. Now the problem in trying to wire them. Anybody here have 13-14 wiring diagram or schematics. I need to know what each wire coming out is. I had a friend shoot me pictures of his 13 oem harness and got the colors but still need to figure out what to wire the other four cables too, I'm sure one or two are from the drls
Here's his oem harness Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1441828715.162535.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	190888Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1441828730.469525.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	190889

Any help would be very appreciated, thanks

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 09-11-2015, 12:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I have a 14GT with the OEM headlights and I think they look great. I've been looking at other headlights but non of them wow me like the OEM ones. The raxiom headlights look ok but I love those two light bars on the OEM headlights. I agree with scottydsntknow on this one. People spend to much money and time for HIDs. Then you have so man shady sellers that your stuck with having to deal with. Seems like most of them don't even care about your order unless you are popular on Instagram. I'll never do business with any of those guys.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:03 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you have OEM HIDs I dunno why you'd change them. If you need smoked then have them tinted... I guess if you just love the halo look the Raxioms are ok and they are actually HID projectors which I did not know Raxiom made so good on them. But I would be very skeptical of any aftermarket housing matching the OEM quality/performance with a HID. Not saying the Raxiom does not but MANY aftermarket headlights are not great quality.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Wiring HID is no different than any other headlight as long as you don't have DRLs, (these are centre fogs on a GT, if you have them). All you need is 12v power and ground to each circuit involved, low and high. You can figure out which is which by testing with a voltmeter with the headlight switches at various positions.

You could also run your own harness and use the factory stuff as switching power for a relay setup. HIDs have a high spark-up amperage surge so, people with weak factory harness wires and switches have to do this sometimes to avoid burning the car down. I don't know if the factory halogen wiring is sufficient as I have the factory HIDs on my car already.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Devil why would you look around for different ones, the oem hid are the best, plus they look sick. That's what I'm trying to make work on my current halogen set up. I just need to figure it out how. I have the connectors for the back of the headlights but i just can't seem to figure out what connects to what or which ones are for the DRL. I use to have fogs since mine is a gt but I got rid of them once I got the Saleen grille. What I'm having trouble is that my current halogen set up has three wires compared to the 7 that go into the new 13-14 oem hid ones. I just need a schematics or wiring diagram and possibly a relay like 5loh said since I don't think the halogen cables don't put out enough power for the hids

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 09-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Comes down to getting bulbs that fit the housings, ballasts (you don't need oem) and just straight wiring it separately, using the oem halogen leads to switch relays to power the lights....at worst.

I've put hids in several vehicles that didn't come with them. Its easy.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

When I got the DEPO projectors for my 98, they bugged directly into the battery post and completely bypassed the factory wiring except for the control switch. Those suckers were BRIGHT with HIR halogens and all the factory wiring bypassed. Could try something similar with a relay setup coming straight off the battery and bug into the driver's side OEM plug for the on/off/hibeam signals.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I hear you guys on not using the oem ballast and bulbs but I thought I'd try to use them since I already have them. And also use the connectors to power the DRLs off of fuse number 39 like I would off of the projectoretrofits harness that I never received.

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 09-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well if you do go aftermarket, make damn sure to get a really good set of ballasts and bulbs. Recommend the Morimoto setup with the OEM Philips bulbs. XenonDepot makes a real good kit too that also utilizes OEM bulbs. Regardless, any "aftermarket" kit should be verified laser aligned and quartz glass bulbs at the bare minimum. Too many swingin dicks out there running the $30 chinamen kits...

Old 09-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Possibly guilty of dick swingin. I'd don't mine the absolute bottom of the barrel but, the equipment I've used with complete satisfaction is made in China.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Semi good news, identified the cables for the LEDs and also the cable to activate the high beams but still no light output, I guess I'll have to buy a relay of some sort to provide more power to the headlights in order to get the hids going since the halogen wires might not put out enough, this is a huge headache but I love the look Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1442030966.942914.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	190999

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 09-11-2015, 11:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbespz5.0 View Post
Devil why would you look around for different ones, the oem hid are the best, plus they look sick. That's what I'm trying to make work on my current halogen set up. I just need to figure it out how. I have the connectors for the back of the headlights but i just can't seem to figure out what connects to what or which ones are for the DRL. I use to have fogs since mine is a gt but I got rid of them once I got the Saleen grille. What I'm having trouble is that my current halogen set up has three wires compared to the 7 that go into the new 13-14 oem hid ones. I just need a schematics or wiring diagram and possibly a relay like 5loh said since I don't think the halogen cables don't put out enough power for the hids

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
I know the OEM headlights are the best. I should have put that sentence in a past tense. I used to look at other headlights but all it did was prove that the OEMs are the best.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

You should not need tons of power. the only thing is the initial light-off amperage being high. When I put HIDs in my grille fogs, they ran fine on the stock tiny harness for that. Remember, they are equivalent in current draw to a 35 watt bulb. I had to raise the fuse value on that circuit to 20 amps from 15 to stop it from occasionally popping the fuse at light off. So far so good, almost 4 years in.

Go back and check your wiring again.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 09-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #23

Region: North Carolina
I put xenon 55w dual beam HIDs on mine. Love them. One of the guys that works for me also does led lighting on the side for cars, trucks, boats, bars etc. I paid 140 and he even installed them. I'll dig up his number and maybe he can hook you up too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Well I might have found a solution, it's either of two ways but I'm hoping to get some input from you guys that have dealt with retrofits before. I looked back on multiple threads that Joe from retrofitters use to advertise his product on and realized that he uses the morimoto motocontrol relay harness that theretrofitsource sells and just modifies it to fit the 16 pin for the 13-14 headlights. Now my question is, they sell a regular relay harness that would help you go from h13 to aftermarket HID set up for $30 (picture one) and then I noticed they also sell a f150 h13 to oem hid 4 pin connector like on 2010-2012 oem hid lights for $80.(picture two). What would be the best way to go about this, either way the relay harness I buy is getting hacked up to replace with the 16 pin connector. So I'm leaning more towards the $30 dollar one but seems a little more complicated due to the high beam output and low beam output. I'll also add a picture of retrofitsource's harness for comparison.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1442078971.863551.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	191023Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1442078996.531413.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	191024Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1442079074.170563.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	191025

Any guys with the retrofitsource' harness care to help me and the guys that paid but never received our harnesses out by putting better pictures up of the harness you have for comparison. A lot of people in the mustang community have been interested in doing this but so far our only option was with Joe. Now we are trying to find an alternative due to the fact that he doesn't sell/ or doesn't make them anymore.

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 09-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

I dunno but I bet you could get it to work. And when you do, maybe YOU sell some to really stick it to the jackass who is screwing everyone over. Or if you don't want to do that, just post a how-to on a bunch of forums and take away his exclusivity. And be a complete *** to him about it. At least that's what I'd do...

Old 09-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah im not looking to make money off of something like this, just a DIY thread listing all the parts you would need and how to hook them up so you can finally get your project done instead of waiting around 2 plus months for a delivery with no kind of communication from the seller. Just really taking the headache out of it really. Just need help from the mustang community that already has the harness in order to help me identify the parts and that way make it real clear for everyone that would be interested in doing this themselves.

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 09-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I figured it out guys, actually pretty simple once I received the Morimoto motocontrol h13 harness I bought off eBay for 25 bucks. A long with the connectors i also ordered off eBay for 29 dollars each. If enough people are interested i will do a DIY thread for it and explain more in detail.

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 09-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1442780810.009381.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	191365

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 11-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #29

Region: New York
I am very interested I am in the same boat. can you share the links for the connectors. if you provide the diagram that would be great. I would also need help in creating a harness for turn signals and how to wire the switch back I got from theretrofitsource. My end goal is to have it function like 2013-2014s and be as much plug and play as possible. I would happy to create a write up on how to
vartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #30

found the connectors 16.00 each 2013 FORD MUSTANG HEADLIGHT CONNECTORS
Old 12-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #31

I am trying to build a harness that just plugs into the Morimoto harness. I have tried to test the pins and think I figured it out. can someone verify it. Sorry for the bad pic. one thing I notice that two of the pins both turn on drl. I connected the low beam and ballast together. before I finalize wanted to get input.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartech View Post

I am trying to build a harness that just plugs into the Morimoto harness. I have tried to test the pins and think I figured it out. can someone verify it. Sorry for the bad pic. one thing I notice that two of the pins both turn on drl. I connected the low beam and ballast together. before I finalize wanted to get input.

You are absolutely correct about two pins powering the drl's I ran both of those to the tap-a-fuse and just left it alone. I would upload pictures but my car is at the shop (front end damage from an accident on thanksgiving). I can try to help as much as possible if needed.

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 12-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartech View Post
found the connectors 16.00 each 2013 FORD MUSTANG HEADLIGHT CONNECTORS

That's a way better price than ford lol. I paid about 50 bucks from them and it comes with all 16 pins to which I just took out the ones I didn't need.

11' 5.Ohhhhh Prem
Old 12-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #34

Thanks for the info. I am planning to install a switchback. So I will update once I am done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT