Manual car tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2015, 05:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Manual car tune

Just curious how much of a difference a tune would make on a manual car. Is it more noticeable for the auto guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I just had my manual car tuned a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't believe the difference it has made. As MANY others before me have said - if you're on the fence about getting a tune, DO IT! Worth every penny!

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I did a catless h pipe, catback and tune. I don't think it changed the low end, but it does pull harder in the midrange and especially up top. Just driving around town, I barely notice any difference. I don't think it is as drastic as some claim it to be.

litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by litfuse View Post
I did a catless h pipe, catback and tune. I don't think it changed the low end, but it does pull harder in the midrange and especially up top. Just driving around town, I barely notice any difference. I don't think it is as drastic as some claim it to be.
Then I don't think you got a very good tune. Who's tune did you go with?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

One of the top two tuners on here. My datalogs look good, so I know it's running good. The car drives smooth and it is powerful. I just think some people think it transforms the car, and I don't think it is that big of a change.

I'm in the process of modding my 2015 Focus ST and will be getting a tune on Sunday. I'm expecting much greater gains from this process than what I got with the Mustang.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
One of the top two tuners on here. My datalogs look good, so I know it's running good. The car drives smooth and it is powerful. I just think some people think it transforms the car, and I don't think it is that big of a change.

I'm in the process of modding my 2015 Focus ST and will be getting a tune on Sunday. I'm expecting much greater gains from this process than what I got with the Mustang.

Not knowing what you have done to your ST suspension wise, and I can say with experience that I was very much surprised by their performance after some suspension work and some engine mod's including a tune................this one was really quick and the handling was comparable if not better than my mod'd Mustang.......................
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No suspension work yet. But it will have an aftermarket intercooler, catless downpipe and upgraded motor mounts with a Panda Motorworks tune. It's amazing how much torque the little ST can make.

Now that I feel like I hijacked this thread...sorry. Would I feel more of a difference if I ran the race tune instead of the street tune? Maybe that will make the difference.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
One of the top two tuners on here.
Quote:
Would I feel more of a difference if I ran the race tune instead of the street tune? Maybe that will make the difference.
You still haven't answered the question I asked about which tuner. But I'm guessing Bama?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Just to get this thread back on track.................last year I was looking for a 6spd GT and drove maybe a dozen cars before getting mine. When I bought it the Odometer showed 2700 miles and the first test drive I took was.........WOW!.......
it was the fasted GT I had driven and I was convinced this was the one to buy. When we got back to dealership I opened the hood and saw the CAI.....and thought to myself............that has to be the reason as all the rest only had the OE CAI.
When I got the car home I found the SCT tuner in the trunk...............I plugged it in and sure enough it had the 91 tune in it.
For me, the difference over the previous stock GT's I driven was at least 20/25hp more..............seat of the pants thing and since I've been drag racing for some 35+ years my seat is a well tuned instrument......................and after returning the car back to stock tune...............no comparison......No, when I took the CAI off it did have the MVT adapter in it............with or without the tune the MVT doesn't seem to do much. MVT stands for Modular Venturi Tube.
When I took it out the motor ran a little smoother but not much difference hn HP/TQ gain that I can feel.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I used AED.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The auto tune from the factory is so sad, it makes the gap larger and more improvement when tuned.

That said, a 91 octane Ford Racing tune took my fully loaded Brembo car into the 11s....

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I used AED.

Make sure you have premium in the tank and run the race tune. Then see what you think.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

When I opened my tunes for the first time I noticed three tunes, one for 87, one for 91, and one for 93. Since the car was on the 91 tune and I can't get 93 I stuck with the 91 tune...if you can get 93 octane go for the race tune......if not....stick with the octane/tune you can get.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I always use Shell 93. I haven't ran the race tune yet. I will try it.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Did Shaun ever comment on your gas quality? He has noted in the past he is not a fan of Shell gas.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

He did mention fuel quality at the beginning of the datalogging process. I was getting some false knock. I refueled from a different Shell station and he was willing to proceed. It seems that bad gas is everywhere.

Grabber, what has do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

I know this is all off topic of the original OP's post, but it's probably relevant information for anyone who wants to start the tuning process.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I've run Sunoco with some success but you are right gas quality is not so great no matter where you are in the country.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The good ole Midwest, where they even put ethanol in our milk.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Gas quality Is perfectly fine in Texas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

I'm also working with Shaun and had been using Chevron...............I've been using Chevron for decades without any issues.
As Shaun told me I switched to Costco...........they are one of only a handful using 92 here in Oregon............after running a tank through the car feels and sounds much better.........starting on the fine tuning with Shaun. I also bought 10 gallons of 100 octane unleaded for future use.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Sooo. If I've been running a 93 bama tune and using shell 93 gas, I'm not gettin what I should out of the car? shell is the only gas I've put in the car since I had her. If I need to change up, who's best to go with that isn't Costco? Since there aren't that many of those down here.

Ingot silver 5.0
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Here we go with this dumb ****. Just bc one person said shell isn't good.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Just asking to see if I've been doing something wrong since I pretty much stick to shell. But if the answer(s) to my gas question is more a matter of opinion or experience than fact, I'll just stick to shell like I have been lol. Don't wanna start a war like the V6 vs. GT threads go (that I enjoy reading btw)

Ingot silver 5.0
Old 07-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I use shell it's the best gas you can get down south. The only way to tell is to do logs using different stations from your area.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I guess that's what I'll stick to then. It seems like that's the only trustable gas down here in NOLA as well.

Ingot silver 5.0
Old 07-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I prefer she'll gas as well

Old 07-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

I was just told.......for everyone in the Portland, OR vicinity....... that there is a gas station selling 91 that is ethanol free...........next time I'm up in Portland I'll see if it's true......................heard this from a couple of ole hot rodders.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Soooo..... Are manual tunes with it?
I have a '14 GT and wondering if it is a waste of money to put a tune on a stick.
dseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I think it's a no brainier. If you plan on doing any mod it needs to be tuned to it.

alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Manual car tune

I have never had the car on a dyno so I can only tell you that it feels like there is more power there. I don't race the car so for me the best thing about the tune is the increased throttle response and the seat of the pants feeling of more HP and torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseg View Post
Soooo..... Are manual tunes with it?
I have a '14 GT and wondering if it is a waste of money to put a tune on a stick.
Although I'm Ole School...............a tune in a stick is one of the first things I'd do.
I don't want to sound negative and although I firmly believe the motor is more than up to the task of handling a tune..............If you are making payments every month and have a warranty you need to realize that if for some reason you grenade the motor.................I doubt Ford is going to warranty the car with a tune in it........................with that said as long you don't too wild the motor is pretty tuff.....and it does make a difference where you get the tune.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:19 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Manual car tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
I think it's a no brainier. If you plan on doing any mod it needs to be tuned to it.

For now I don't plan on doing any mods other than the exhaust which is already done. I was thinking about tunning it once the warranty is up. Only other things I want are single piece drive shat and mgw race spec.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
For now I don't plan on doing any miss other than the exhaust which is already done. I was thinking about running it once the warranty is up. Only other things I want are single piece drive shat and mgw race spec.

You will be waiting until the power train warranty is up. 5 years or 60k miles I think.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Old 07-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I have 4 more years to go. I'll never meet the mileage as its been over a year and I only have 7000 on it.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Ya I have 4 more years to go. I'll never meet the mileage as its been over a year and I only have 7000 on it.

I had the same problem. 4 years and only 24k miles. I finally gave in and loaded the tune (I had actually bought the tuner a year before that and then had second thoughts about loading it after I got it).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT