Tune and "CAI" for manual GT/CS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tune and "CAI" for manual GT/CS

So I have a '14 manual GT/CS and wondering if I should get a CAI.
Not sure if they actually improve horsepower but I have hood vents right above the filter. Right now, the filter is covered by the stock air intake box but these CAIs fromAmericanMuscle.com leave the filter exposed to the vents (water) and hot engine air.
Is a CAI worth this?

Also, are tuners for manual cars relevant? I guess I always figured that tuners were for automatics. If so, can I get a tuner with a stock air intake or is a "aftermarket" CAI recommended?

Notice the vents on top:
dseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You do know this whole page has many discussions already going on these very subjects? Why start a new thread? Just do a little reading.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
You do know this whole page has many discussions already going on these very subjects? Why start a new thread? Just do a little reading.
There are many threads asking the same questions over and over. That's what is a forum is for.
I couldn't find one that discussed the vents on a GT/CS being worth the water exposure and heat versus using stock with a tuner on a manual car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseg View Post
There are many threads asking the same questions over and over. That's what is a forum is for.
I couldn't find one that discussed the vents on a GT/CS being worth the water exposure and heat versus using stock with a tuner on a manual car.
You realize that the GT, GT/CS, and GT Premium all have the hood vents right?

Also, CAI Intake is redundant. The I stands for Intake.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
You realize that the GT, GT/CS, and GT Premium all have the hood vents right?

Also, CAI Intake is redundant. The I stands for Intake.
lol, Ok. Thanks. Any input on the actual topic?
Old 07-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Instead of playing forum police, I'll actually try to help you out with my personal experience...

I just recently tuned my car and currently have the stock air box. My car is also a manual, and the 93 octane race tune I have installed made a significant difference in the performance of my car. It feels like a completely different vehicle - in a good way. Even with a bone stock car, a tune will significantly improve performance. I highly recommend one.

Regarding your CAI question, I don't have hood vents so I've never personally looked into pros/cons of open element CAI's with the '13-'14 hoods.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodor View Post
Instead of playing forum police, I'll actually try to help you out with my personal experience...

I just recently tuned my car and currently have the stock air box. My car is also a manual, and the 93 octane race tune I have installed made a significant difference in the performance of my car. It feels like a completely different vehicle - in a good way. Even with a bone stock car, a tune will significantly improve performance. I highly recommend one.

Regarding your CAI question, I don't have hood vents so I've never personally looked into pros/cons of open element CAI's with the '13-'14 hoods.
Awesome, thanks man.

What kind of tune did you have? Bama?
Old 07-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Awesome, thanks man.

What kind of tune did you have? Bama?
Yes. I have no experience with any others to compare, but am very happy with my Bama tune.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Here ya go man:

I have the 13/14 GT Hood vents on my 2014 V6 and had an open intake filter (Airaid Synthamax). I just recently swapped to the stock intake box with an aFe drop-in filter and Airaid tube, because was leaked through the vent and soaked the filter.

Here is what I had then, and now. The new setup costs over $100 less then a "Cold Air Intake" And will net you ANY possible gain it might give. (Not saying it does, just saying it would)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	188404   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150731_111643.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	188405  

Old 07-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Filter on the left is the one I used. Not sure if they have one for the GTs though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	filters1.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	188406  
Old 07-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Here ya go man:

I have the 13/14 GT Hood vents on my 2014 V6 and had an open intake filter (Airaid Synthamax). I just recently swapped to the stock intake box with an aFe drop-in filter and Airaid tube, because was leaked through the vent and soaked the filter.

Here is what I had then, and now. The new setup costs over $100 less then a "Cold Air Intake" And will net you ANY possible gain it might give. (Not saying it does, just saying it would)
Wow, thanks a lot.

I did not know they even made these boxes for the aftermarket filters.
I am trying to find one for a GT.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Doesn't look like aFe makes filters for the 13/14 5.0. But here is the same basic setup:

Airaid Mustang Modular Intake Tube 450-946 (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

Ford Racing Mustang Drop-In Replacement Air Filter M-9601-MGT (10-14 GT; 11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

You would use those and use your stock airbox. You would be just replacing the intake tube and air filter. Like I did. The stock intake is pretty much a "Cold Air Intake", as it draws air in from in front of the grille vs inside the engine bay. The only +'s of changing stuff is deleting any baffles or imperfections in the stock tube and getting a more free flowing filter.

I myself, cannot comment on K&N. Maybe the other 5.0 guys can lend a hand. But this is just an example.

Either way, still cheaper then a full K&N Intake, Airaid, etc. and just as practical.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:45 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

Leave it to the little V6 guy to come in with the most as well as helpful info. lol

Nice car by the way. IF you are going to the AM 2015 show, let me drive it.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

What exactly is a tune changing on a manual car that makes it "better"?

I also have been reading that SCT tunes are the best. Are these just the tunes (programs) or do I need a SCT tuner for them? I was thinking of getting the BAMA X4/SF4 tuner from AM.com
They might even be the same company? Having a hard time finding answers to what may be a stupid question.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
What exactly is a tune changing on a manual car that makes it "better"?

I also have been reading that SCT tunes are the best. Are these just the tunes (programs) or do I need a SCT tuner for them? I was thinking of getting the BAMA X4/SF4 tuner from AM.com
They might even be the same company? Having a hard time finding answers to what may be a stupid question.
In my experience with a tuned C5 corvette and recently tuning (BAMA) my Mustang GT, a tune just makes the car run and shift smoother (no more rough idling at stop lights). It also slightly improves the power, throttle response, and at least for me increased the sound.

With light mods (axle-back exhaust and CAI) it was initially hard for me to say its worth it. But after going back and forth between the stock tune and the BAMA tune a few times I've really noticed the difference.

Also... don't worry about water leaking in. Just make sure to get a CAI that includes a hood-vent blocker for the water (e.g., JLT) or one that has some sort of cover to keep water from getting on it.
Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The tune will make the car much more fun to drive. Throttle response should be greatly improved as well with the tune. The CAI makes the engine sound much, much better although you probably dont gain that much power. For me the sound was worth the price tag and it looks much better if you do car shows or cruise-ins. I ran the Steeda CAI and the Steeda tune for a while and thought it was a good set-up. You may also look at BBR and JMS for good tunes that dont cost much. Personally I've never had a BAMA tune, but historically their track record has been weak. For the same cost you can deal with Steeda or JMS, etc. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Nater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Intake will net you 0 "butt dyno" horsepower. May even lose power when sitting in traffic due to the heat. Bit like said above, it sound awesome and looks good. I run an mpt tune and off road lethal h pipe and it definitely feels better than stock and sounds good too!
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:47 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
CAI waste of money unless you want the sound and looks, Tunes out of the 3 I've tried SCT, Steeda, Lund. Lund wins hands down.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
SSTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:19 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Don't use the stock cai with the k&N filter. Unless you want to lose hp.
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If you need the vent foam plug, I'll mail you mine. Just got the jlt cai for my '12 and it came with one that I don't need. Came from VMP along with a tune. Had a Steeda CAI and Steeda tune on the stock motor and have loved that CAI (talking about the open box cone filter) ever since! Bit pricey for eye candy but I love it and the sound. Im sure I could've used Steeda again for my Roush SC but VMP seems to be solid on various combos of super chargers, intakes, pulleys etc... So far so good
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
So I have a '14 manual GT/CS and wondering if I should get a CAI.
Not sure if they actually improve horsepower but I have hood vents right above the filter. Right now, the filter is covered by the stock air intake box but these CAIs fromAmericanMuscle.com leave the filter exposed to the vents (water) and hot engine air.
Is a CAI worth this?

Also, are tuners for manual cars relevant? I guess I always figured that tuners were for automatics. If so, can I get a tuner with a stock air intake or is a "aftermarket" CAI recommended?

Notice the vents on top:
According to some very knowledgable respected members on this forum, the CAI is a waste of money when it comes to increased power and performance.

Performance wise, the factory airbox is better than a CAI according to some members. I certainly won't disagree with their opinions because I have no idea if a CAI actually increases rwhp gains. I do respect their knowledge however with that said, I have a CAI. I love it and have no regrets buying it.

I love its look under the hood, eye candy for shows and the sound it makes when WOT. No clue if my HP increased and don't care if it did increase. I will admit, originally I purchased the CAI several years ago under the impression it would increase my rwhp.

After having it, I'm cool with it just looking great and sounding cool under WOT. Bonus if it does increase rwhp but based on some respected members knowledge, I would expect NO power/performance gains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #22
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
CAI

Don't waste your money if you are looking for performance improvements.
Tune will help, but cai no, my 1/4 mile times improved by 0.2 when I took it off.
Now, if you like the way it looks with the hood up go for it!
But the factory intake pulls combustion air from outside, so it is a good design.
I read somewhere that the factory intake system will flow 913 ft3/min, and at 7k r/min the engine can only flow 650 ft3/min so it is not starving or choked.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
Don't use the stock cai with the k&N filter. Unless you want to lose hp.
Your source? BTW, the one I test I saw dropped in a K&N without a tune and dyno showed a minor drop in power. More airflow & loses a little power. No surprise to me. I'd think a tune should fix that right up.
skramblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skramblr View Post
Your source? BTW, the one I test I saw dropped in a K&N without a tune and dyno showed a minor drop in power. More airflow & loses a little power. No surprise to me. I'd think a tune should fix that right up.
On SVT Performance someone did a test and the K&N lost power on a dyno. So take that for what it's worth.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Kind of suspicious that many of the tuners use the CAI with open box and cone filter isn't it?
Maybe they have other mods that compliment it or it compliments? Maybe it's worthwhile if you plan on doing other mods? Hmm?
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook

The ram air hood works in conjuction with the open filter setup. Having it tuned right for the added air flow down the drag strip, i am sure it could lead to a small benefit.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
To help prevent further confusion from the video above A guy makes a video on YouTube so it much be true right - read the forums ... if this was really an issue, you would see many more posts on the subject ... the fact is, it is not an issue.

& ... we have been driving a 2013 Mustang GT with this CAI in Florida for severals years - carwashes, monsoons, etc. & no issues:

The CAI debate is one that will never die. We have seen plenty of gains, so have other members - it is a great combo & will yield better results than just the tune alone.

Yes, the OEM intake is good but like most parts on the Mustang, the aftermarket take a good part & makes it better.

Best Regards,
TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:27 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Kind of suspicious that many of the tuners use the CAI with open box and cone filter isn't it?
Maybe they have other mods that compliment it or it compliments? Maybe it's worthwhile if you plan on doing other mods? Hmm?
Maybe they make money selling parts? No it's not worthwhile at all.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
What is the difference between a SCT tuner and a Bama tuner?

Are they not the same thing??
Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
What is the difference between a SCT tuner and a Bama tuner?

Are they not the same thing??
Same thing. A Bama tuner is an SCT tuner with their tunes loaded on it. Get a Lund tune loaded onto an SCT tuner from someone and don't look back.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Same thing. A Bama tuner is an SCT tuner with their tunes loaded on it. Get a Lund tune loaded onto an SCT tuner from someone and don't look back.
Thanks. I am actually debating on getting a Bama vs Steeda tunes now. There seems to be much debate on this topic (Bama vs Steeda).

I am looking for improvement in my '14 manual GT but it is my DD which I put about 22k miles/yr. So reliability and engine safety are my main concern.
Seems like Bama had a #8 cylinder issue a few years back but has been addressed.
Steeda seems safer but I love AM which has a relation with Bama...
Old 08-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks. I am actually debating on getting a Bama vs Steeda tunes now. There seems to be much debate on this topic (Bama vs Steeda).

I am looking for improvement in my '14 manual GT but it is my DD which I put about 22k miles/yr. So reliability and engine safety are my main concern.
Seems like Bama had a #8 cylinder issue a few years back but has been addressed.
I have Steeda and Bama tunes. Both are great safe tunes. I don't think your gonna feel any difference in the butt dyno between the two. I have a 3.7 so totally different than your 5.0 but my Bama tune made more rwhp than my Steeds tune but Steeda tune made more rwtq over Bama.

Not a big difference in any of the numbers but I'm just partial to Bama over Steeda. Although very happy with my Steeda tune but I don't run that.

Here was my dyno with the three tunes I have. Please keep in mind, These are just power numbers and not actual track times. As rapinator has said before, Rwhp and Rwtq dyno numbers don't mean crap but how it responds on the track. Or some saying like that. Lol.

I don't track race so Bama being 1 tenth faster or slower over Steeda doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Just seeing what other hard core performance 5.0 owners say, Lund , VMP or AED tunes for auto guys is where its at for the 5.0 owners.

I don't know because I don't have a 5.0 but Bama never did me wrong and really enjoy their tunes.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Here was my dyno of my MPT, Bama and Steeda tunes. All done same day and all with 91octane tunes. I did have 93 octane gas in the car.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1438627259828.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	188590  
Old 08-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I tune my own car and have helped out a few that are close to me with their tunes. Let's just say I've fixed a few Bama tunes for them.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
I tune my own car and have helped out a few that are close to me with their tunes. Let's just say I've fixed a few Bama tunes for them.
Have you/when are you going to tune the 15? I am curious as to what the results will be
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai