4.10 or 3.73 gears install price. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
4.10 or 3.73 gears install price.

I'm considering 4.10 gears in my 14GT MT and have found what I think I need at AM for $280. If I purchase the kit below, how much roughly would a Ford dealer charge to install this? Is this everything I need?
Anyone have 4.10s and can comment on driveability? I'm not tracking or racing, just want more response and felt power. I rarely get to drive over 65-70 mph where I live anyway.
It's all country two lane roads. 4.10s sound like they would give me what I'm looking for unless those of you with experience with this think 3.73s would be better. This car is just a daily driver to work 20 minutes. Longer trips, I take my wife's Fusion.
Also...I'm not going to tune this car, period. Not unless I still have it well after the power train warranty and I no longer live in a state with annual state inspections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	188426  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
4.10's are only going to be beneficial if your car is set up for them. Suspension, motor (being able to Rev high enough to utilize them) tires.

And just saw that you don't want to tune, so

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I'm considering 4.10 gears in my 14GT MT and have found what I think I need at AM for $280. If I purchase the kit below, how much roughly would a Ford dealer charge to install this? Is this everything I need?
Anyone have 4.10s and can comment on driveability? I'm not tracking or racing, just want more response and felt power. I rarely get to drive over 65-70 mph where I live anyway.
It's all country two lane roads. 4.10s sound like they would give me what I'm looking for unless those of you with experience with this think 3.73s would be better. This car is just a daily driver to work 20 minutes. Longer trips, I take my wife's Fusion.
Also...I'm not going to tune this car, period. Not unless I still have it well after the power train warranty and I no longer live in a state with annual state inspections.
4.10s will give it acceleration, but your speedo will be off without a tune...

Black 08GT "Spinning Ain't Winning"
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If your wanting to keep your warranty, then 3.73 will be your "lowest" option. Ford will recalibrate it for you.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Going from standard base GT MT gearing, whatever it is...3.31? To 3.73 is it enough to seriously feel the difference with no other engine or suspension mods?
I'm looking for that holy ***** this things is fast experience again. I think the newness of the Coyote has worn off on me.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You will feel 3.31 to 3.73.
Just nowhere near as much from 3.31 to 4.10

Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
3.73s are going to be more than enough for you! Get ford racing trac cal for $380 and call it a day. Both of these will get you omggg this car is fast feeling, while still keeping your warranty intact.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
The MT82 has a great gear ratios and with my TrakPak I think it's pretty much a perfect combo for a mostly stock motor.
If you were to put 4.11's in it you just don't have the HP/TQ needed to pull much in 6th.....................Rapinator is right, stick with the 3.73's.
I can cruise on the highway at 70/75mph in the 2250/2400rpm range....my rear tires are 285x35x20's..........just depends on what size tires you have.
Personally I think you'd be making a mistake going with the 4.11's unless you are going to add some serious HP/TQ.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
The MT82 has a great gear ratios and with my TrakPak I think it's pretty much a perfect combo for a mostly stock motor.
If you were to put 4.11's in it you just don't have the HP/TQ needed to pull much in 6th.....................Rapinator is right, stick with the 3.73's.
I can cruise on the highway at 70/75mph in the 2250/2400rpm range....my rear tires are 285x35x20's..........just depends on what size tires you have.
Personally I think you'd be making a mistake going with the 4.11's unless you are going to add some serious HP/TQ.
I concur...not that it matters lol.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
I concur...not that it matters lol.
I concur that you concur with my statement..........matters to me that you concur..................sorry.........I love that word
Old 08-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'll be switching to 20" staggered set in a few months from the stock 18s.
Looks like all in favor of 3.73 so I'm leaning towards that.
Any word on the AM gear kit I posted being all I need (and have The speedo recal) and what can I expect Ford or a independent place to charge for the install? No way I'm doing it myself, I don't have any of the specialty tools for that particular job.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yes that's all you will need and I'm sure expect $400 + from ford

Old 08-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I read on some forum, may have been this one, to have the dealer provide the gears and all related parts. If something isn't right you can go back to them without fighting about if it was the parts or the instillation.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

I'd check with your Ford Dealer first before buying any gears.
At least in my area the Ford Dealer will not install gears you bring in the trunk of your car......they will give you a price for Ford gears that you buy from them and the install and I believe my Ford dealer wanted $750 for everything.
I'd also call some rearend shops in your area................Also, go into a Ford dealers parts department and tell them you'd like to have jobber pricing/discount on the gears as you will be having the shop install them.............
Old 08-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Man I was going to order the 4.10 in my year to. Now I'm starting to rethink this. ... hmmm
2007 Mustang GT Premium -- 18" gunmetal grey wheels | w/Staggered Tires | Hurst short throw shifter | JBA high flow cats and performance mufflers | JBA chrome tips | JLT intake | Shifting Light | Halo Lights | Cervini Ram Air Hood | Black Billet Fuel Door | Black Billet Pony & GT Emblem | Front Chin Spoiler | Red Strut Tower Brace | Intake Plenum Manifold/Throttle Cover-Hydrocarbon | Tuned with Bama X4/SF4 Tuner | Roof Spoiler | Eleanor-Style & Side Scoops | Gen5 Tail Lights
RumbleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I'd check with your Ford Dealer first before buying any gears.
At least in my area the Ford Dealer will not install gears you bring in the trunk of your car......they will give you a price for Ford gears that you buy from them and the install and I believe my Ford dealer wanted $750 for everything.
/\ this! /\

Definitely check first. They probably won't touch ANYTHING non Ford. When I first got my car, I asked about adding the camera spoiler and they said they couldn't do it. No way, no how. Impossible. After researching, I asked them if they could enable it if I installed it... still "no way to do it, we can't do it", etc. So I had to go out research the hell out of it myself. Found mostly F-150 threads about adding the backup camera, etc.. and figure out how to do it on my own!

Then when I was looking at doing the FORD ProCal...
2 out of 3 of my local Ford dealerships told me they won't install ANY aftermarket parts... INCLUDING FordRacing ProCal!!

The 3rd barely knew what I was talking about. After talking to several people in the service department, and I BELIEVE the service manager or someone went to talk to a technician, they finally came back & said they could install the ProCal for 1 hour labor.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
4.10 or 3.73 gears install price.

My 11 GT that I bought back in 2012 had 4.10 gears in it when I picked her up. The Dodge dealer that I bought her from knew the gears had been swapped, but couldn't say for sure what the ratio was. They thought they were 3.73 or 3.90. Imagine my surprise when I learned they were 4.10 lol. I've lowered mine on H&R SS's and put QA1 Single Adjustables in the back. They've done just fine on all suspension setups I've had.
First gear is incredibly short. Gas mileage has suffered a little. I'm in 3rd gear by the time I've left my housing development. But they're a lot of fun and she gets going right quick. I switched to a Boss Intake and upped the rev limiter to 7800. I'll admit that I get mixed looks of respect/you stupid here and there for daily driving gears that steep. They're definitely a 'Yee-haw' kind of setup lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
I paid $300 for my gear install and I'm on the eastern shore of Maryland. More importantly how do you plan on having your speedo calibrated to work properly with the 4:10 gears if your not going to tune?

That makes no sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I guess this. But there has to be a way. The Ford dealership can do it simply with the OBD port and their computer. When I was a patrolman, our crown Vic's had to go on a speedo calibrating roller thing that looks like a dyno every six months and they adjusted it to within 2mph of actual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	188575  
Old 08-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I guess this. But there has to be a way. The Ford dealership can do it simply with the OBD port and their computer. When I was a patrolman, our crown Vic's had to go on a speedo calibrating roller thing that looks like a dyno every six months and they adjusted it to within 2mph of actual.
That won't work on these cars. Times have changed.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Today I stopped at a local place just five miles away which is nice because I'm in the sticks in Northern Nh. The guy has a shop and legit repair business and on every other Thursday nights he sponsors a car show on his property complete with a drive in theatre. I've driven by many times but was either coming to or from my retirement job and never had time and saw a dozen or so classic cars.
Well, come to find out he has a 67 Shelby Mustang as well as an 07 in his pretty large home shop. He's a big Mustang fanatic!
I showed him a screen shot of the AM rear gears package for $280 and he says no problem...about $300 to install. He also recommended 3.73 instead of 4.10. One of his assistants has a Mustang with 4.10s and explained just like you guys that it would be too low in the long run for me but that going from 3.31s to 3.73s will bring back that Coyote Yeeehaw for a while.
Still waiting on my actual tiny local Ford dealer to call me back with their price. As someone here said, they don't want me to supply the gear package from AM even though it is FRPP. They want to have me buy it all from the dealer. I'll update when I get their quote just for splits and giggles.
I know warranty wise with a 2014 20k miles I'm better having the dealer do it but.....what could go wrong.
Oh!....and found out the guys hosting a larger show this Sunday and I'm off! Says there will be a lot of Mustang club guys there from a big club downstate. Oh yeah!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

4.10's FTW

Old 08-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

3:73's. I have had 3;73's and 4:10's....the 4:10s are a little too low for my taste.
3:73's were perfect.

Tuned by AED
Old 08-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
4.10s seem crazy for a daily driver. I feel my 3.73 are a bit short for daily driving but I love the acceleration in every gear. 3.73 in my opinion are perfect if your not going to do major changes to the car. You can forget 1st gear in 4.10s, In my 3.73 i only use first from a dead stop, if its rolling even a little ill use second.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Nah you can still have a first with 4.10's

Old 08-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

For me the 3.73's are the perfect compromise.
Over 30 years ago I drove a......fairly fast for the day.....68 Z28 with M22 and 5.13's on the street............it was a lot of fun to shift through all four gears between stoplights........just hoping the next stop light would be green.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:16 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For me the 3.73's are the perfect compromise.
Over 30 years ago I drove a......fairly fast for the day.....68 Z28 with M22 and 5.13's on the street............it was a lot of fun to shift through all four gears between stoplights........just hoping the next stop light would be green.
Super low gears were the thing back then alright. In 1975 I had a 67 Barracuda with a stage 3 dual quad cross rammed 426 with a tilt front end, 5:13's and a clutch that took both feet to hold it in at a stop sign. My have things changed!

Tuned by AED

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT