to tune or not to tune? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Beverly
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 53
Cool to tune or not to tune?

I've been thinking about a Bama tune 2011 gt. The car is still under warranty.my question is if I down load the tune. Then I have severe engine mishap,I then erase the tune. When you bring the car to the dealer can they plug in and tell that I have tuned it?:
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Yes they can tell.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Beverly
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 53
Thanks!
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
LaserRed99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: St. Louis
Region: Missouri
Posts: 147
Yep, I think this is new for 2011+ cars. Older ones you could restore to stock and they'd never be able to find out. Ford got smart...
__________________

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Fully forged Manley rods/pistons, Cobra crank, ARP hardware, 8.5:1, Procharger P1SC w/ intercooler, AFM power pipe, 60# injectors, 03/04 Cobra tank with dual fuel pumps, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, O/R X pipe and Flowmasters, Exedy stage 3 clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax, Front and rear upper + lower control arms, Ford Racing springs, Bob Monks tune 448 rwhp @ 9 PSI
LaserRed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Waylap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Region: New Hampshire
Posts: 820
Since my 2014 is my daily driver and under warranty and my state has annual inspections (which would make any check engine light a major headache) I'm not tuning mine,
Simple test for you :
Google Mustang tune problem. Then read and read. Decide if it's the risk you like to take.
Here's half the first page you get...ain't nobody got time for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	188597  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
UrMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Morris
Region: Illinois
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Since my 2014 is my daily driver and under warranty and my state has annual inspections (which would make any check engine light a major headache) I'm not tuning mine,
Simple test for you :
Google Mustang tune problem. Then read and read. Decide if it's the risk you like to take.
Here's half the first page you get...ain't nobody got time for that.
Notice the dates on all those links? Every car will have tuning issues when they first come out. All the major tuners have it figured out now.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2011 GT Premium A6 glass roof.
Dynatech LT's, OR-X, Kooks Axle-back, Circle D 5c, Boss IM, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, BMR LCA's, adj UCA & Panhard,Strange 10 way struts, 331 gears tuned by AED.
UrMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
You can find good and bad reviews for just about anything and everything.
Maybe a poll would be a good idea for tune experiences.
e.g.-
overall worth it?
somewhat troublesome?
Any bad experiences?
Or something along these lines.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Waldorf
Region: Maryland
Posts: 135
If your not going to mod your engine and still want warranty, go with Ford tune. Picks up low to mid range, increases redline and will get about 2 more mpg. But it will not optimize for upgrades. Just another alternative.
Cobrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
c_rizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrakit View Post
If you're not going to mod your engine and still want warranty, go with Ford tune. Picks up low to mid range, increases redline and will get about 2 more mpg. But it will not optimize for upgrades. Just another alternative.
Ditto.

It makes a significant difference. The Ford Tune really ups the low end torque (+60lbs at 1,500 rpm I believe)

The max hp & torque increases are only about +16, but that's with no engine mods, CAI BS, etc..

When you just punch the pedal while putting around that low end torque really throws you back in to your seat.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
I've been thinking about a Bama tune 2011 gt. The car is still under warranty.my question is if I down load the tune. Then I have severe engine mishap,I then erase the tune. When you bring the car to the dealer can they plug in and tell that I have tuned it?:
If your #1 concern is to keep your factory warranty in tact with no possible issues then have a Ford racing mechanic install the pro cal tune. The pro cal tune is no where near the aftermarket tuning companies but its better than the factory tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Ditto.

It makes a significant difference. The Ford Tune really ups the low end torque (+60lbs at 1,500 rpm I believe)

The max hp is only about +16hp, but that's with no engine mods, CAI BS, etc..

When you just punch the pedal while putting around that low end torque really throws you back in to your seat.
To the best of your knowledge, do all Ford dealers do it?
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
To the best of your knowledge, do all Ford dealers do it?
No! Only certain Ford dealerships have some certified Ford Racing Mechanic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
c_rizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,008
Re: ProCal install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
To the best of your knowledge, do all Ford dealers do it?
My area:

2 out of 3 wouldn't do it.

1 out of 3 would do it, but barely knew what I was talking about. I had to badger the service manager to "research" (go ask a technician) and figure out IF they could do it, etc. And he came back saying they could do it & would charge me 1 hour of labor to do it.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #14
REG
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Monaca
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 263
FYI because he's a 2011, ford racing probably won't pick up his warranty as they only give 3yr/36 k so he's probably better off getting a Lund, mid. Atlantic or other reputable tuner tune
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by REG View Post
FYI because he's a 2011, ford racing probably won't pick up his warranty as they only give 3yr/36 k so he's probably better off getting a Lund, mid. Atlantic or other reputable tuner tune
You have an excellent point and didn't even think about that The 3yr 36K is long over. The pro cal doesn't cover during the extended warranty period assuming there is an extended warranty or the 5 year 60k power train warranty.



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Beverly
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 53
I have an extended warranty,7 years it's costly item. when you buy the vehicle, the guy in the back office sells this,plus plastic 3M to help with road chips,sealer for a longer shine? You all know the speel by now!
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #17
REG
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Monaca
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 263
Warranty

I think you are going to find that since it is greater than 3 years ford racing won't pick it up.
I've played lawyer ball many times, they have the purse strings and they won't let go without a. Big fight. My wife is a nurse case manager for one of the big health insurance companies and the joke here is that insurance companies and warranties exist to shift the burden on to some one else!
Just trying to prepare you!
As one guys avatar says, just because I have an opinion doesn't mean I'm smarter, it just means I've dome more stupid s#!t
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Tuned since 1,100 miles. Now at 53,800 and not a single problem yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Been tuned since 5,000 miles. Now with 48k plus miles and not a single problem yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 36
Dallas and Kona,

What tune are you running?

I'm looking to have mine tuned also but still weighing the options. I've heard people say to stick with a dyno tune if only using bolt-ons, which I am so far. What's everyone's opinion there? I found a local shop that will do it for 500 bucks but I'm not sure what to expect. New to all this.
RobGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGT14 View Post
Dallas and Kona,

What tune are you running?

I'm looking to have mine tuned also but still weighing the options. I've heard people say to stick with a dyno tune if only using bolt-ons, which I am so far. What's everyone's opinion there? I found a local shop that will do it for 500 bucks but I'm not sure what to expect. New to all this.
I run Bama and MPT, My primary tune is MPT. That local dyno shop, does that $500 include the tuning device with the tune?

One of the many benefits with a Bama tune is their free revised tunes for life program. As you modify the car over the years, you pay nothing extra for them to make a new tune based on your upgraded mods. Will your local dyno shop give you life time upgraded tunes for that $500 dollars.

How much will he charge for every new revised tune as you mod the car?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I run Bama and MPT, My primary tune is MPT. That local dyno shop, does that $500 include the tuning device with the tune?

One of the many benefits with a Bama tune is their free revised tunes for life program. As you modify the car over the years, you pay nothing extra for them to make a new tune based on your upgraded mods. Will your local dyno shop give you life time upgraded tunes for that $500 dollars.

How much will he charge for every new revised tune as you mod the car?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Unknown. I still need to call them up to find out what all is included. And that's why I've been on the fence because of the tunes for life setup that seemingly all of these online companies have. Not to open a can of worms but I've read a LOT of back and forth regarding BAMA and AED tunes. My primary concern is the integrity of the tune though. It was mentioned earlier in this thread about issues with tunes and I also use my pony as a DD so driveability and not-broken-down-in-the-shopability is super important. I try to take good care of my vehicles and the thought that it could be performing more fluidly is attractive but potentially damaging anything, like number 8, makes me think twice.
RobGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,258
Saw your in Houston. Who were you planning on doing your dyno tune?
I will be able to tell you yes or no very quick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Saw your in Houston. Who were you planning on doing your dyno tune?
I will be able to tell you yes or no very quick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Break-thru Performance in Conroe. Closest one to me.
RobGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,258
No go.
Go for
Midnight performance
Strictly
Slaters
TSS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 36
Ok cool, I'll go see em. Thanks man.
RobGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,258
TSS would be the best option out of those. It's a drive though. It's in Beaumont straight down i10. Worth the drive though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 36
Not a problem. I figure I'll need to wait to get the tune until after I get my new h pipe installed correct? I'm already straight piped but I'm guessing the difference in flow will matter. Is that accurate?
RobGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,258
Yes wait till its installed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #30
Senior Member
Supporter
 
Spartanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: League City
Region: Texas
Posts: 466
to tune or not to tune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
TSS would be the best option out of those. It's a drive though. It's in Beaumont straight down i10. Worth the drive though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Thanks for posting a reputable shop near us! I plan on getting mine done after some minor bolt ons.

Afterthought: Ever hear of G-Force down in Pearland? I know a few people that have some stuff done to their Non-Stangs with good results, so just curious on how well they handle Stangs...
I'm within 8 minutes of PSI motor sports in Kemah but I've read of naughty thing that they have done...
__________________
MT-82 hate.
Spartanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:51 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 36
Will do. Thanks again for the help.
RobGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Thanks for posting a reputable shop near us! I plan on getting mine done after some minor bolt ons.

Afterthought: Ever hear of G-Force down in Pearland? I know a few people that have some stuff done to their Non-Stangs with good results, so just curious on how well they handle Stangs...
I'm within 8 minutes of PSI motor sports in Kemah but I've read of naughty thing that they have done...
Thing is with the coyotes, you really need to pay attention who you go to. There is a lot of shops who are bad *** at the 3v's 2v's and the cobras. But just can't grasp the coyotes.

Strictly is another good one with the coyotes. They were one of the very first if not the first people to tune a coyote with a big shot. Also one of the first to delete the VCT b4 it got well known.

Here is a good rundown of the coyote shops in you guys areas.

TSS ( TRIANGLE SPEED SHOP )
Midnight performance
LPF
Strictly's
Auto adrenaline

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #33
Senior Member
Supporter
 
Spartanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: League City
Region: Texas
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Thing is with the coyotes, you really need to pay attention who you go to. There is a lot of shops who are bad *** at the 3v's 2v's and the cobras. But just can't grasp the coyotes.

Strictly is another good one with the coyotes. They were one of the very first if not the first people to tune a coyote with a big shot. Also one of the first to delete the VCT b4 it got well known.

Here is a good rundown of the coyote shops in you guys areas.

TSS ( TRIANGLE SPEED SHOP )
Midnight performance
LPF
Strictly's
Auto adrenaline

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Cool, makes sense. Just worried about who touches my car.... Lol
I've seen a 93'-95' Lightning that showed up for sale in CL a while back that Triangle worked on. I almost bought it, almost...
I've heard of Strictly's before as well.
Thanks again for the good info!
__________________
MT-82 hate.
Spartanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:50 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Thing is with the coyotes, you really need to pay attention who you go to. There is a lot of shops who are bad *** at the 3v's 2v's and the cobras. But just can't grasp the coyotes.

Strictly is another good one with the coyotes. They were one of the very first if not the first people to tune a coyote with a big shot. Also one of the first to delete the VCT b4 it got well known.

Here is a good rundown of the coyote shops in you guys areas.

TSS ( TRIANGLE SPEED SHOP )
Midnight performance
LPF
Strictly's
Auto adrenaline

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
So I have a slot with Auto Adrenaline in a couple weeks. Gonna get the H pipe and the tune same day. This guy Wally said he's got a good cam timing tune that gives a lot of mid range torque among other improvements. Said he's done well over a thousand Coyotes and the reviews from people on their Facebook page mention him by name with good results. So I'm hoping to have a few giggles that weekend and some good news as I slowly join the club here. -Rap, thanks again for the advice and recommendations.
RobGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
to tune or not to tune elkoritaNAY 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 0 11-24-2014 01:58 PM
to tune or not to tune.... rebeltx 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 24 01-02-2013 11:46 AM
Bama tune or lund tune or steeda tune Mustang32Bill 2011-2014 Mustang GT 89 11-12-2012 11:45 AM
To tune or not to tune? grossnickle6612 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 10 08-24-2011 10:27 PM
1976 ford mustang will not start, not headlights come on, it is not the battery, why? eifion Classic Mustangs 6 08-24-2009 04:12 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:56 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.