help can't geet in to 5th gear - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
5th gear help

Hi everbody.

Im having a problem getting into 5th gear. all my other gears are smooth as butter but when i go to 5th my eps jump hight and the car jolts forward. anybody no why? also i just learned how to drive manual. might be the problem lol
tlebron20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

help can't geet in to 5th gear

hi all
I'm having a problem getting in to 5th. all the other gears are smooth as butter except 5th. when i shift in to it my rpms jump up and the car lurches forward. idk why? any suggestions. also learned how to drive a manual last month lol
Old 08-06-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlebron20 View Post
hi all

I'm having a problem getting in to 5th. all the other gears are smooth as butter except 5th. when i shift in to it my rpms jump up and the car lurches forward. idk why? any suggestions. also learned how to drive a manual last month lol

Sounds like you're ending up in 3rd gear when attempting to grab 5th. I'm assuming a 5 speed tranny?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dudley279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley279 View Post
Sounds like you're ending up in 3rd gear when attempting to grab 5th. I'm assuming a 5 speed tranny?

no 6 speed 13 gt ;[
Old 08-07-2015, 02:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Probably your going into 3rd instead of 5th

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
When shifting from fourth to fifth push the shifter up while keeping pressure towards the right. Without this pressure to the right it will go into third.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

try what Rob said. I find on mine the centering spring is good for finding 3rd/4th but you need to compensate for it when trying for all other gears. It is a difficult one to learn on and hopefully it's only user error. You also need to make sure you are depressing the clutch fully. My only concern is you say you hit all other gears fine...makes Mud think you have a clue.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Make sure you're not gripping the shifter like a baseball. Use only a cupped palm, this will ensure the centering spring is working for you instead of you needing to manhandle the shifter.

I'll go into more detail on what I mean. When in first to shift to second you should only need to palm the shifter on the right side (thus pushing it left) and slide it back into second. From second to third the centering spring is strong enough to go right into third if you simple push straight up (don't push right, that will take you into 5th). Third to fourth is easiest, it's just straight back. Fourth to fifth is up with rightward pressure. Fifth to sixth is rightward pressure and back.

Note that the centering spring is strong but not super strong so if you shift to fast from say second to third (pushing straight up) you might hit the shifter gate wall and miss third. I fixed this by getting a new shifter. The centering spring in the steeda tri-ax shifter is really nice. You can throw it from second to third super fast without hitting the shifter gate wall.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

WOW i figured out what the problem was :bang head:iwas starting my car on third gear in stead of 1. so i was doing 3-4-5-6 . thanks for all the help
Old 08-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah....that would do it. Glad you figured it out.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:41 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

thx for the admission.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT