Supersnake a 50th Anniversary GT - Opinions - Page 13 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #421
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I'm going to keep the stock rear brakes on the clone for that very reason. But, I'm stuck with the Shelby as is.

I think 18's would possible rub on the emergency brake lever on the auxiliary piston (seen at the top of this pic). That lever is real close to the inside of the rim and just within striking distance if the diameter is too small.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	201713  
"All the options baby!"
medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #422
Registered Member
Regular

18's look like they will fit as this is a pic of the 19 inch stock rims installed on the car. There is a bit over 1/2 inch clearance and if I get a narrower rim (an 11 inch rim) it will not be inline with the e-brake caliper lever.

How to kill the looks of a Super Snake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0156.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	201720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	201721  

"All the options baby!"
Old 05-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #423
Registered Member
Regular

OK...I was concerned I won't have enough time to order tires and rims before June 8th rims so I've started ordering.

So, I have 305/30ZR20 Michelin Pilot SS on the car. I've ordered 305/40R18 MT ET Street S/S drag radials.

I have Weld racing rims. They are 12" rims with a 1 5/8" offset. I'm thinking of buying a similar looking Weld rim (T10 • Weld Wheels ) in 11 inch with a 1 1/8 inch offset. I'm going to wait until Tuesday to call Weld to make sure that wheel will handle a drag radial and 825hp. It's pretty slim looking but supposedly it will hold up. I think it's worth a phone call though.
"All the options baby!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #424
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Subscribed.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #425
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwards View Post
OK...I was concerned I won't have enough time to order tires and rims before June 8th rims so I've started ordering.

So, I have 305/30ZR20 Michelin Pilot SS on the car. I've ordered 305/40R18 MT ET Street S/S drag radials.

I have Weld racing rims. They are 12" rims with a 1 5/8" offset. I'm thinking of buying a similar looking Weld rim (T10 • Weld Wheels ) in 11 inch with a 1 1/8 inch offset. I'm going to wait until Tuesday to call Weld to make sure that wheel will handle a drag radial and 825hp. It's pretty slim looking but supposedly it will hold up. I think it's worth a phone call though.
Yes. I can understand your concern... Those do look sort of "spindly" in the pictures!
Definitely worth a phone call. After all, discretion is the better part of valor.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #426
Registered Member
Regular

I think this is as close to tolerance that you would ever want to take the barrel of a wheel. Solid billet aluminum wheels so there should be no flex. Hopefully I'll have some tires tomorrow to make sure everything fits in the wheel wells. It all should fit but damn is it going to be tight (just like the Shelby wheels and tires are).

Then I have a pic of the SS wheels and the new CCW/Weld wheels together.

Thank you to John at CC Wheels (Home - CCWheel and https://www.facebook.com/CompleteCustomWheel/). They are the guys who make the SS wheels for Shelby and John was instrumental in getting me the rims that were certain to fit. And damn did he do a good job as I don't think the clearances could get any tighter. They cut the wheels for me on Tuesday and I received them today FedEx. That is customer service!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	201888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	441.4 KB
ID:	201889  

Name:	IMG_0204.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	201890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	201891  

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	201892  
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #427
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #428
Registered Member
Regular

Tires arrived and are being mounted.

Boy is this all going to be close (I measured with a tape this morning and it all looks very very very close). I did a lot of figuring before buying these rims and tires and I new it would be close. But crap did I cut it way too close. These are either going to fit...or they aren't. Fingers are crossed. If this all fits, I will have jammed in as much possible traction as I possibly could given the brake setup and the fender clearances.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mttires.JPG
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	201903  
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #429
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Wow!!!
At least the drag radials don't grow like drag slicks....wrinkle walls.
Have my fingers crossed!
olerodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #430
Registered Member
Regular

THEY FIT!!!! Thank God....they fit....Also, thank goodness for suspensions with negative camber when they compress.

And thank you to my buddy Pierre at Quick Stop Tire for keeping a smile through some nerve-wracking moments as the tires initially looked way too big when we first put them on the car. And also thanks to him and Alex for sitting inside the trunk to compress the supension to ensure no rubbing That roughly 450lbs did the trick for compressing those stiff Ford Racing rear springs!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	201929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	201930  

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	201931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0247.jpg
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	201932  

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	201933  
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #431
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Wow. Looks great. I wonder why Shelby wouldn't do this out of the gates?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #432
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I wonder why Shelby wouldn't do this out of the gates?
They set the car up for road racing. And, it is an absolute monster at doing that.

The SS as setup by Shelby is capable of kicking the snot out of a lot of super cars on the road race course (I saw it with my own eyes). It will beat or hold its own with highly modified Porsches, Audi's, Corvettes, Nissan NSX's, even some Ferrari's and Lambo's. It is a road racing machine. Unlike most of those other cars though, this car can also run the 1/4 mile in the 10 second range just by putting a set of tires on it. It is an amazingly versatile muscle car. I believe with a wet shot of nitrous for the higher gears that the car will do possibly low 9's. When the clone is built, I am aiming to hit 9.0 or lower and only slightly modify it past the SS level. After I get to that level who knows how much lower it can go, but I am going to try. And then I could simply throw on a set of Michelin Pilot SS tires and road race it. How many 9 second drag cars can say that?
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #433
Registered Member
Regular

Just get by those Hellcats Medwards... Then we can talk about you taking on the world.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #434
Registered Member

Regular

Makes sense. I really just meant why wouldn't they have crammed as much tire in there as possible? Seems they left a bit to be desired
Old 06-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #435
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Just get by those Hellcats Medwards... Then we can talk about you taking on the world.
hahahaha...Got it. Hellcats 1st. World 2nd.
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #436
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Makes sense. I really just meant why wouldn't they have crammed as much tire in there as possible? Seems they left a bit to be desired
Uhoh....long post coming (sorry I can't help myself....)

They filled the wheel well with the tire they wanted for what they intend for the car's primary purpose. The car comes with 305/30ZR20 Michelin Pilot SS Cup II's Michelin*Pilot Sport Cup 2. These are as tall and as wide as the Mickey Thompsons I just put on. They are great tires and are huge. So, they fill the wheel wells. They have the same 12" wide tread as the Mickey Thompsons I just put on. The rim is just slightly different in it's offset by about 1/4 inch which is what made me nervous (it's also different in that it's a 20" rim versus the 18" rim I mounted the M/T tires on....more on that later but that didn't make me nervous).

I'm sure you know the rest of what I'm going to type....but for those that don't here is some decent information.

The Michelin's just aren't drag tires. Loosely you can identify a drag tire from a road racing tire by looking at the wear rating. The treadwear rating ranges from 000 to 700. 700 rated tires are very hard. They last forever and are good for commuting, but they don't grip well. The Michelin Pilot SS Cup II's are 300, so they wear out more quickly than regular commuter tires due to being soft enough to grab really well once warmed up. But they are hard enough to last a lot of races and to be driven on the road. They are widely accepted as high quality road racing tires and are very capable and last quite a while even given the harsh conditions of road racing.

The Mickey Thompson tires I bought have a wear rating of 000. They obviously wouldn't last long driving on the road or running in road race competition. Yet since the compound is very soft, once warmed up with a burnout, they grip like glue. They are expensive and don't last long so they are on the car only to drive to the drag strip, run, and then drive home. Then they come off and the Michelins go back on. But they get you going out of the hole very quickly and should help get the car into the low 11's or maybe even the 10's (that will depend on me, not the tires).

So you must be asking right now...why did I go with 18 inch rims and possibly create problems for myself? Why not just buy a set of 20 inch rims and 000 rated tires? I put 305/40 tires on the 18 inch rims. These are 28 inch tall 12 inch wide tires. They have almost 5 inches of side wall. This 5 inches of sidewall will allow me to drop the air pressure and get the sidewalls to squat a little which will give more traction and also create a little "give" to reduce the strain on the drivetrain. They aren't anywhere near as good as true wrinkle slicks for those two purposes, but my rear brake rotors are massive and this is as big a sidewall I could get given contraints on the barrel of the rim and the clearance on a fully compressed suspension. The Michelin Pilot SS rim/tire combination are 305/30 tires on 20 inch rims. They are 27.2 inches tall and 12 inches wide. But due to the 20 inch rim, they have virtually no sidewall. This is great for cornering (sidewalls are not wanted for cornering), but sucks for drag racing as you can't get the tires to squat at launch and all the torque from the tires connecting to the pavement is 100% translated to the drivetrain (ie/ stuff breaks).

Interestingly, many people use Nitto 555 tires as "drag radials". They have a wear rating of 300 so they are not drag radials. They are road race tires. The Nitto 555r has a wear rating of 100, so it is closer to a true drag radial but it still has a harder compound than a real drag tire. The Nitto 05r is the real Nitto drag radial. It has a wear rating of 000. However the Nitto 05 (without the "r") has a wear rating of 200, so it's kindof an in between tire. A lot of people don't realize these details and end up buying the wrong tire for drag racing. I went with Mickey Thompson tires because I'm old school. When I was a kid you ran Mickey Thompsons...period.
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #437
Registered Member
Regular

I'm trying to think of some additional ways to temporarily turn a road course car into a straight-line car.
Are the dampers adjustable on your car Medwards?
If so, I think that you should set them at their softest setting.
Also, bring a 12v air compressor and a pressure guage to the track, so that you can adjust the tire pressure. I would air up the front tires to the maximum pressure that is stated on the sidewalls. And start at a relatively high pressure on the rear tires, say 17-18 psi. If it won't hook, start lowering the pressure in 1-2 psi increments.
I wish that you had more time to get this setup dialed in, like the Hellcat owners seem to have done...
Old 06-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #438
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I'm trying to think of some additional ways to temporarily turn a road course car into a straight-line car.
Are the dampers adjustable on your car Medwards?
If so, I think that you should set them at their softest setting.
Also, bring a 12v air compressor and a pressure guage to the track, so that you can adjust the tire pressure. I would air up the front tires to the maximum pressure that is stated on the sidewalls. And start at a relatively high pressure on the rear tires, say 17-18 psi. If it won't hook, start lowering the pressure in 1-2 psi increments.
I wish that you had more time to get this setup dialed in, like the Hellcat owners seem to have done...
I'm not going to adjust the suspension on the Shelby. I will mess with the clone once I've built that one. I do suspect the negative camber will reduce the contact surface and cost me some traction, but I don't want to screw up the road race settings.

I plan on starting with high pressure up front (44psi is the max....Shelby sets them at 36lbs.) I am going to try a run at 18lbs on the rear DR's. I'm not sure I want to go below 12 as I may get tire slippage on the rims below that level. I'm guessing with 44lbs up front and 18 to 16lbs in the rear, and enough cahonas, I am going to be running in the mid 10's.
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #439
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Can I presume the HellCats are auto ?
...................as their 6 speeds don't put down good #'s !!!

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #440
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The HellCat race should come down to a driver's match. Reaction time and 60 ft is where you will need to focus the most on.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #441
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post
Can I presume the HellCats are auto ?
...................as their 6 speeds don't put down good #'s !!!
At least one is the auto. Not sure of the other 2.
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #442
Registered Member
Regular

Put a post up on the "At the Track" board about the results of the race.

Oh ya....and just got this "Christmas in June" present from Shelby...

Super Snake in a box...hahaha.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shelby goodies.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	202252  
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #443
Registered Member

Regular

That is possibly the coolest picture ever. Lol
Old 06-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #444
Registered Member
Regular

I see one of these being ordered shortly for 4th gear use. 5.0 COYOTE HIGH OUTPUT PLATE SYSTEM (50-250HP) W/ 10LB BOTTLE
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-11-2016, 12:47 AM   #445
Registered Member
Regular

Is there anything more fun in the world than opening up boxes of muscle car parts!!!!

Is there a red supercharger in that big blob of foam packing? Keep digging and digging. Oh ya, there it is!

Then I had to wrap it back up after making that little window so that it'll be safe until I get a chance to install it...probably this coming winter ugghhhh.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0288.JPG
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	202301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	202302  

Name:	IMG_0290.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	202303  
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #446
Registered Member
Regular

Lol
Christmas in June!
Old 06-11-2016, 01:20 AM   #447
Registered Member

Regular

Lol I'm pretty sure you didn't have to honey badger that foam. The way those foam packages work, they activate it and stick it in the box, then set the item in, then you put another over the top and activate that one. So it should have been 2 separate bags with the expanding foam inside.

I don't blame you for opening it like that though 😂
Old 06-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #448
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Lol I'm pretty sure you didn't have to honey badger that foam. The way those foam packages work, they activate it and stick it in the box, then set the item in, then you put another over the top and activate that one. So it should have been 2 separate bags with the expanding foam inside.

I don't blame you for opening it like that though 😂
My OE GT500 wheels/tires came from Shelby that way also....each tire and wheel in it's own box. Two out of the 4 boxes....the top layer of plastic had broken and the foam was on the wheel tread and wheel itself....taking if off the tire was fun!
olerodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #449
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
My OE GT500 wheels/tires came from Shelby that way also....each tire and wheel in it's own box. Two out of the 4 boxes....the top layer of plastic had broken and the foam was on the wheel tread and wheel itself....taking if off the tire was fun!
Oh god I hope that didn't happen to my SC. I'll find out when I finally get into it.
"All the options baby!"
Old 06-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #450
Registered Member
Regular

Was snapping some pics the other day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ssdave.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	698.4 KB
ID:	202603   Click image for larger version

Name:	ssgirldave.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	598.7 KB
ID:	202604  

"All the options baby!"
Old 06-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #451
Registered Member

Regular

👀👀👀

Hey now
Old 06-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #452
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
What's Pocahontas doing to your
Snake?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #453
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
What's Pocahontas doing to your
Snake?

That means two things

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #454
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Th p

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT