Supersnake a 50th Anniversary GT - Opinions - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwards View Post
?

If you are referring to the crate motor by Ford, no. They use the stock motor. I've asked a bunch of questions related to the SC. I should have an answer back tomorrow.
Found this on the SVTP site, dated 9/15/2015.
As you're using the new front feed Whipple, does SAI use the whole Whipple kit ?
And if so, running a Whipple tune ??.
......." Whipple now offers flash device for PCM tune and tire/axle

We are pleased to announce, effective today, we now offer a new flash device with the 2015-2016 Mustang and 2015-2016 F150 applications for a $200 upgrade when purchasing the SC system. The new PC based software program works with a OBDII connector, with built in microprocessor and USB cable, you can connect to your vehicle and flash your PCM.

Features:
Holds stock file/can revert back when needed
Wheel/gear change capacity (nobody else in the industry can properly change this)
Flash PCM (save new files to your laptop/pc and update PCM)
Read/erase trouble codes
Reset crank and cam

Future options:
Powerful data logging with enhanced PID's.
Powerful graphing of data logging features

Available for windows and MAC. "

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Teasing about the throttle body; it's frigging huge. And I was curious about the engine. What is the exhaust going to be?
I figured you were joking The exhaust is a 2.75" diameter Borla.
medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #143
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Did she deny it? Haha
Wife AND girlfriend....? You might get a few door dings.
I guess I should have said "Wife" or "Girlfriend"............no, I've been married more than once........although this is the last.
No, she didn't deny it.........she just didn't say anything until I asked............
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #144
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Supersnake a 50th Anniversary GT - Opinions

Quote:
I figured you were joking The exhaust is a 2.75" diameter Borla.

Your car is awesome, or going to be awesome. Which ever you prefer. Now post up some videos of it when you get it back and give us a tour of the whole thing. Including a driving video.
Exhaust is Stingers? Or Ataks?

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #145
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
eek: need a drool emoji
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #146
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
eek: need a drool emoji

+1
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

While I'm waiting for a couple of answers from Shelby on the SC and the exhaust....consider this...
Ford Mustang Shelby GT 350 | eBay

It is one of the most amazing mustangs ever for being track capable, and it does have the 50th anniversary model year in its VIN, but man is this dealership marking up that car. I'd rather spend the money on a Shelby SS like I'm doing than put the same money into the GT350. Rare or not, this is a crazy price.

Would look nice sitting next the the 50th anniversary SS in the garage though....
Old 12-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #148
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I feel like for that price it should be a gt350r

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #149
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
While I'm waiting for a couple of answers from Shelby on the SC and the exhaust....consider this...

It is one of the most amazing mustangs ever for being track capable, and it does have the 50th anniversary model year in its VIN, but man is this dealership marking up that car. I'd rather spend the money on a Shelby SS like I'm doing than put the same money into the GT350. Rare or not, this is a crazy price.

Would look nice sitting next the the 50th anniversary SS in the garage though....

Like how it already has 41 miles on it. Hmmmmm. Wonder how that happened?

Best offer...50k. Let's see what they say
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:35 AM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
It's the car...the insurance on the Boss is higher than a regular Mustang there must be a lot of claims on them. If you Google "wrecked Boss" you'll see why.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Man the extra 20hp really got away from those guys. Sidebar note boss values should be up as their steadily becoming more rare!

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:46 AM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Like how it already has 41 miles on it. Hmmmmm. Wonder how that happened?

Best offer...50k. Let's see what they say

Probably has the letter from ford that it was test driven by them. They randomly test drive some cars to keep up with qc and will attach a letter with the vehicle with an explanation for the mileage.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #152
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Your car is awesome, or going to be awesome. Which ever you prefer. Now post up some videos of it when you get it back and give us a tour of the whole thing. Including a driving video.
Exhaust is Stingers? Or Ataks?.
Shelby special design similar to Stingers....they figured Atak style would be too loud at cruising speed.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #153
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Supersnake a 50th Anniversary GT - Opinions

I thought that would be the case. I think my old Roush mufflers are stinger based. The FR500 mufflers I'm getting, for my GT, are stinger based. Borla makes some excellent products.

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post
Found this on the SVTP site, dated 9/15/2015.
As you're using the new front feed Whipple, does SAI use the whole Whipple kit ?
And if so, running a Whipple tune ??.
......." Whipple now offers flash device for PCM tune and tire/axle

We are pleased to announce, effective today, we now offer a new flash device with the 2015-2016 Mustang and 2015-2016 F150 applications for a $200 upgrade when purchasing the SC system. The new PC based software program works with a OBDII connector, with built in microprocessor and USB cable, you can connect to your vehicle and flash your PCM.

Features:
Holds stock file/can revert back when needed
Wheel/gear change capacity (nobody else in the industry can properly change this)
Flash PCM (save new files to your laptop/pc and update PCM)
Read/erase trouble codes
Reset crank and cam

Future options:
Powerful data logging with enhanced PID's.
Powerful graphing of data logging features

Available for windows and MAC. "
Got the answers from Shelby.

The SC is a special design built by Whipple for only Shelby using the 2.9L Whipple twin screw SC as the base. It includes a new manifold and mono blade high flow throttle body. Fuel injectors are changed out to meet the requirements of the high flow throttle body. Throttle body is billet design and is slightly more than 2000cfm.

They use the Whipple tune software to achieve the settings they want.

The auxiliary electric fans shown through the front grill are made by Whipple as well.

As I put in another post, the Borla exhaust is a special design built by Borla only for Shelby. The Shelby design engineer puts in design requests to the manufacturers to make all the bolt on parts work together in a way that Shelby wants.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Sub

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:

Yeah these ****ing dealers be on that dumb ****. The car isn't worth anywhere near that much. Everyone thinks they're going to boom in value like the old school mustangs. They seem to forget that they have to wait about 40 to 50 years before it will be worth anywhere near that much. Not to mention it needs to be in good condition as well. Not paying that much for a car to just let it sit In my garage for 30 to 40 years.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got the answers from Shelby.

The SC is a special design built by Whipple for only Shelby using the 2.9L Whipple twin screw SC as the base. It includes a new manifold and mono blade high flow throttle body. Fuel injectors are changed out to meet the requirements of the high flow throttle body. Throttle body is billet design and is slightly more than 2000cfm.

They use the Whipple tune software to achieve the settings they want.

The auxiliary electric fans shown through the front grill are made by Whipple as well.

As I put in another post, the Borla exhaust is a special design built by Borla only for Shelby. The Shelby design engineer puts in design requests to the manufacturers to make all the bolt on parts work together in a way that Shelby wants.
Sounds like if you get a hand held, it may be a Whipple flash drive unit, if so, could you post a pic ??

Old 12-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds like if you get a hand held, it may be a Whipple flash drive unit, if so, could you post a pic ??
I will. Once I get to drive it, I will be asking a lot more questions so I understand the car inside and out. It will be a comprehensive review of everything related to the car and what others can do to their non-Selby's that Shelby has done to my car.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #159
Registered Member
Regular

An SS owner on the TS site posted that you could get SAI to dyno your car just by asking for it.
Do you know this to be true, & are you getting them to dyno your build when completed ?

Old 12-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

Just requested a dyno on the car. It's not as easy as the OP indicated. I am awaiting to see if my request will be completed.

BTW....I learned they do nothing to the clutch. I'm going to have to do some research on that. 750+ HP and stock clutch....I think I'm going to be asking for some clutch suggestions as I can't see that stock clutch holding up for long. They do replace drive shafts.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #161
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Hm, sounds odd to me. Maybe the 2015s have some amazing clutch none of us knew about?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #162
Staff
Regular
Staff

AFIAK the 11-14 clutches were good for 600+. No idea why Shelby would not upgrade at 750 but maybe the 15+ clutch is better? TBTH I'd have them put in a McCleod RXT and be done with it. That's good for 1000.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

According to the OP, based on contact with SAI, this is delivery month.
After all the teaser pics & dialog, I'm anxious to see the finished product.
Break the clutch in properly..................... Found this on the Exedy site:
" Break in period should be that of 500 miles of city type driving, double the break in period for highway driving. No aggressive driving. No hole shots or drag launches. Gear changes should be made at 4,000 RPM or less. No speed shifting. "
Spec also recommended 500 miles..

Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #164
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
" Break in period should be that of 500 miles of city type driving, double the break in period for highway driving. No aggressive driving. No hole shots or drag launches. Gear changes should be made at 4,000 RPM or less. No speed shifting. "
I just sent an email to my contact at SAI to see if that is true for my car. I'm hoping as it has been a while.

Regarding the breakin period information....Well, damn that's going to put a damper on my 4 days in Vegas! I don't know how I'm going to put 500 miles on the car since it's not registered. "Gear changes at 4,000 RPM...no hole shots"...geez. "No aggressive driving". Well, that's a problem when you've got a drag strip and a road course staring at you and you're sitting in a 750+hp car.

Let's see.....1.5 mile track...500 miles would require 333 laps...average speed with "city type driving" of 30mph...would take about 17 hours. Don't think the numbers work. I guess I'll be driving one of the SAI Shelby American Track Experience cars when I get there.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just sent an email to my contact at SAI to see if that delivery information is true for my car. I'm hoping that's the fact as it has been a while.

Regarding the break-in period information....I don't know why but I never even thought about that. I should have.

Damn that's going to put a damper on my 4 days in Vegas! I don't know how I'm going to put 500 miles on the car since it's not registered. "Gear changes at 4,000 RPM...no hole shots"...geez. "No aggressive driving". Well, that's a problem when you've got a drag strip and a road course staring at you and you're sitting in a 750+hp car.

Let's see.....1.5 mile track...500 miles would require 333 laps...average speed with "city type driving" of 30mph...would take about 17 hours. Don't think the numbers work. I guess I'll be driving one of the SAI Shelby American Track Experience cars when I get there.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
First time on ebay: Buy now = $127,000
Relisted : Buy now = $105,000

Prediction next price $95,000...
then $89,000... etc.

While its nice to have a 2015 launch year, one of 137 vehicles. This is not a limited run car for the lifetime. They will crank up to 3,000+- a year like the Boss 302's, and therefore, they should NOT warrant the extreme high price asked now.

As an "investment" you'd lose your butt if you payed $100k now. As in 10-30 years, if you took that same $100k and put it in to anything else it would have appreciated faster than that car. Now, the "Ford buddies" that got hooked up with the cars at MSRP (that are all already multimillionaires, Ford big wigs, and car collectors) are going to make a killing if they ever sell their cars.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #167
Registered Member
Regular

hahahahaha. When it hits $65k I'll bite.

Although we're not picking on the price of my SS...I do feel I need to defend spending the money. I spent a ton for my Shelby....but it's my Shelby and it is a 50th anniversary car made into a Super Snake in it's first year. The cost above the MSRP was valid for my SS in many ways as there is a lot of extra's (brakes, supercharger, fuel system upgrades, suspension, exhaust, wheels & tires, interior, etc) versus that GT350 is simply marked up above the MSRP. I could have done all the work myself and paid less than the $70k I'm paying Shelby. But, if you add up all the parts there is tens of $'s in parts and then there is a lot of labor...not to mention paying for the actual intelligence to put all the pieces together into a well oiled muscle car.

I'd love to have 1 of 137 to be sure. Even if they make 3k per year later on, that one still has 2015 in it's VIN. But, it should be sold at MSRP since it hasn't had anything done to it aftermarket. All of these cars (including mine sigh) will depreciate for at least the first 10 years. Hopefully (fingers crossed) they will appreciate sometime later and don't get wrapped around a tree or hit by another motorist along the way.

I agree, if you are looking for an "investment" to retire on...buy a good diversified portfolio of stocks and bonds (maybe carry a 15% out-of-the-money put option on the portfolio as well to hedge the big downside risk).

But, if you've got the cash, want to have some big-boy fun, and want to have a car that "may" be able to be sold at a pretty solid price decades from now when you can no longer drive it...buy a special late model car, have it suped up by a special company, and enjoy.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #168
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty sure you didn't send the owner's manual to SAI with the car, curious to hear what Ford recommends for a clutch break-in ???
......( which may or may not apply after mods )

Old 01-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #169
Registered Member
Regular

I spoke with SAI today. They said they have never had a clutch fail and have had a lot of customers run the cars pretty hard almost immediately after taking ownership. The biggest issue they said is slipping the clutch too much and causing heat. If you know how to drive a standard it's not a problem is what I was told.

Once the car is complete, SAI drives it for 10 miles or so to check that everything is functioning properly. The track is 60+ miles from the SAI location so that will give a little break-in. The car has 43 miles on it already (was driven from one dealership to another and the dealership let people test drive it before I ended up buying it). So....it'll have over 100 miles on it when it hits the track.

I should have some pics soon of an almost completed car. I'll post when I get them.

BTW....this is the track. It's actually 6 miles long. https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/facility
Old 01-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #170
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well Medwards, nobody will ever be able to say you didn't do it correctly haha. Thing is going to be so sick when done.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #171
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Well Medwards, nobody will ever be able to say you didn't do it correctly haha. Thing is going to be so sick when done.
Thanks. I can't wait to sit in it and hear it start up.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #172
Registered Member
Regular

Drag Tires

So, I'm working with SAI to determine what will fit since they've lowered the car a little. Given that, I may need to change things a bit.

My goal is to eventually get this car to a 10.5 second quarter.

Right now I am looking at these tires http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3062r/overview/ for the drag strip. I'll likely put a set of skinny tires on the front for the strip as well, but that's a decision for later.

The stock rear tires are 275/40R19 with a height of 27.7 inch. Car has 3.73 gears and the Ford/Getrag MT82 6 speed manual. Many write-ups have said the car will struggle in the quarter because it hits the rev limiter in 4th gear about 200 feet before the end of the quarter mile (not to mention it just spins the stock tires throughout the run...hence the drag radial purchase).

My rough calculations (would love help here) show that a tire about 29.5 inches tall should bring me to the equivalent of a 3.5 gear ratio. I'm trying to get to about 125 at the end of the quarter without shifting to 5th. I'm thinking that will get me 10.5 seconds (if both the car and I are capable of it).

I used PaladinMicro with the following information to get the results. Unfortunately I can't put the exact MT tires into the calculator.
Tran Ford/Getrag MT82
Rear Tire Width 265
Rear Tire Aspect 75
Rear Wheel Diameter 15
Axel Ratio 3.73

The tire combination above gives me a tire height of 29.73 which is close to the 29.5 inch height of the MT tires.

Would welcome any thoughts from those of you with the knowledge. I realize I've got to buy rims (stock are 19 inch) and I'll need to figure out offset, but I"ll wait til I get the car back to do all that.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #173
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
First....I've used MT drag slicks for over 20 years and have found them to wear well and have less manufacturing issues than some of the others. They grow the least of any other drag slick I have used which is important if you are getting close to the 140mph 1/4 mile.
On my 9.80 Maverick I always ran between 12/14lbs of air.....always used a tube, and I always screwed them to the rim mainly because I wasn't going to pay $700 per wheel for bead locks...a lot of people just put them on less the screws although I never have followed the crowd....I'd rather be safe than sorry...IMHO
I have to say that one of my favorite wheels was Champion...made in California....they will make any offset for you want either front or rear.
I have to say that when I was undecided on which tire to use to hit my target I called and talked to the technical staff at MT....they are good people and have a great amount of knowledge.....just my two cents worth.
Just one other thing....when you get the slicks make sure you match them....I've seen some slicks that were 1/2" different in circumference do some very weird things in the first 60' of the strip...IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #174
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Saw a Roush RS1 today and I must say I was pretty disappointed. I want to see this car when done.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #175
Registered Member
Regular

Change in plan....not sure what I was thinking. I need at minimum an 18 inch rim to clear the brakes. Back to the drawing board. So much for MT...I don't seen any 18 inch drag tires made by them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT