Supersnake a 50th Anniversary GT - Opinions - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #176
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I don't think anyone makes a non-DOT drag slick in more than 16"....I've never seen an 18" drag slick........
How much space do you inside the wheel???
I'd give these people a call...again, I've been running their SFI wheels for years....
http://www.championbillet.com/drag-wheels/
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #177
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Look at the ET Streets. Made up to 20's I believe.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #178
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwards View Post
Change in plan....not sure what I was thinking. I need at minimum an 18 inch rim to clear the brakes. Back to the drawing board. So much for MT...I don't seen any 18 inch drag tires made by them.
The track setup on my 11, ( 17 x 5 / 15 x 10 ), won't fit on my 14 because of the brakes.

I think the 14 needs 18 F & 17 R.
What some of the 13/14 owners did was swap out the rear brakes for 2012 MY brakes, so they could run 15 x 10's.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I just sent an email to my contact at SAI to see if that delivery information is true for my car. I'm hoping that's the fact as it has been a while.

Regarding the break-in period information....I don't know why but I never even thought about that. I should have.

Damn that's going to put a damper on my 4 days in Vegas! I don't know how I'm going to put 500 miles on the car since it's not registered. "Gear changes at 4,000 RPM...no hole shots"...geez. "No aggressive driving". Well, that's a problem when you've got a drag strip and a road course staring at you and you're sitting in a 750+hp car.

Let's see.....1.5 mile track...500 miles would require 333 laps...average speed with "city type driving" of 30mph...would take about 17 hours. Don't think the numbers work. I guess I'll be driving one of the SAI Shelby American Track Experience cars when I get there.
You will get a temporary tag probably for 10 days to 30 days. As you are out of state, probably only 10 days to get it back to where you live. Don't worry, Massachusetts will make sure they get any money owed to them.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Man I like the looks of that drag strip setup! That's a muscle car look. What do you get for times?

Regarding the brakes, it's the Shelby upgrade that goes on the back (four piston Wilwood's). I don't think I'll be taking them off. So, I'll have to wait to get the car home and see what I can fit in the wheel wells and over the brakes. Unfortunately I'm losing sidewall. Not sure how it's going to run with low sidewall DOT drag radials. I guess I'll have to buy a set and run it to see what happens. No matter what, it will be better than the road-track tires.
medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Look at the ET Streets. Made up to 20's I believe.
Thanks. Just got off the phone with MT. The ET II's have been discontinued. The tech person pointed me to the ET Street R. Specifically, I'm looking at the P305/45R18 as this tire is 29 inches high. That gets me a terminal speed of about 122 in 4th gear. Not sure if that's going to be fast enough to get me into a 10.5 second range. He said the ET Street R is the most aggressive drag tire (interpret as sticky and won't last long) they currently sell for larger rims.

Using the calculator at Xcceleration, and inputing HP 660 (wheel estimate), vehicle weight of 3750lbs, it comes up with top ET/Speed of 10.39 sec at 131mph. Seems like I'm going to struggle getting this car to 10.5 with the tranny, rear gear, wheel height, HP combination. I'm going to be at about the limit of the car as it is set up. I'm going to hit the rev limiter at 123mph in 4th according to the Paladin calculator. I think that combination gets me an 11 sec car.

Would love it if someone can check my numbers and let me know if I'm missing something. I think I need taller tires, and it's that simple. Looks like I need 31 inch tall tires.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #182
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Why not just go with less gear? You are going to be traction limited to a point

I forget if you are going stick or auto but with a stick on those tires you will break something. Sidewall is your friend.

Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Shelby won't reduce the gears and I'm not sure if changing them will cause me to have to re-tune the car. They set the car up for both track and strip...more towards the track is what I'm beginning to determine with the size of the brakes and the gearing.

I hear you on the sidewalls. The car is a manual transmission.

I'm beginning to wonder what to do with the rear brakes and rear gears. I'm thinking when I get the car, I change the rear brakes and the rear gears, put them in a box to keep them safe, and then put on some 15 inch MT's with nice big sidewalls. I'm just not an expert at "tuning" cars with the new computer setups, so I'm not sure how to even start on that end. Switching the brakes and the gears is just wrenching. But, with brake modulation and tuning I am afraid I may mess things up quite a bit. I'm not sure I want to get into all that if it's too complicated.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #184
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I would assume you get a tuner with all of the mods that have been done, or if not I'd buy one that would be compatible with your specific tuning. This should allow you to change the gearing and tire size and the program would compensate.
As for changing the gearing....I would do whatever you need to do with the rear brake setup to allow you to run 15" wrinkle walls/regular non-DOT slicks and leave the rearend gears intact until you've gotten some seat time the way it is...remember that 5th gear in the MT82 is 1 to 1....not an underdrive like in a Tremec...........get some seat time on the track with the car and then start changing things........seat time is extremely important.....not changing everything at once!
Do you know what the radius is from the center of the hub to the edge of the caliper?
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #185
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure on the radius. I'll have to pull out a tape when I'm in Vegas in February. The Shelby rep told me I'd need 18 inch wheels to clear the brakes so I'm assuming they are large.

I agree on running it before messing with gears. I'll have to do a little brake work to get the wrinkle tires on. I'll have to do some research on that once I get the car home and can actually look at things and measure.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I'm surprised Shelby is putting the car out with 3.73 gears on the car to begin with.
And double surprised they won't give you a choice.

With that much power, you're going to magically turn sets of tires in to piles of dust & smoke really fast!!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Just got news....should have pics from the folks at Shelby by Thursday of the finished car, and I'm confirmed for my trip in Mid February to run it! Can't wait.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:10 AM   #188
Registered Member
Regular

It's about time, looking forward to the pics..

Old 01-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
How exciting - yes post pictures when you can!
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post
How exciting - yes post pictures when you can!
Agreed, it's been a long time of me waiting in the wings haha I can't wait to see how it turns out!
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
May I also request pictures too?
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just got news....should have pics from the folks at Shelby by Thursday of the finished car, and I'm confirmed for my trip in Mid February to run it! Can't wait.
That would be YESTERDAY !! ...( let me guess, it isn't finished ? )
I was looking for something to cheer me up as I wait for this snow storm to arrive.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #193
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Lol. Snows already here. Definitely could use those pics!
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for the suspense. It has been a crazy couple days at work.

Here she is. More pics to follow. I'm posting pics the guys at Shelby took for me. They are ok. I'll have some real nice photos with the desert and mountains in the background when I get to Vegas on February 10th. Should have some cool ones on the track also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger Side.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	869.1 KB
ID:	196087  
Old 01-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #195
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Supersnake a 50th Anniversary GT - Opinions

I want that in my life.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:41 PM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

Front and Back

You can see the rollbar through the windows.

I kept the splitter, rear valance, rear panel cover, and runnerboard ground effects carbon fiber. All other carbon fiber parts were painted (hood, tail, front ground effect just above the splitter). I think that little bit of carbon fiber makes it interesting without looking out of place. I thought too much carbon fiber would take away from the look of the car.

I went with the aluminum grills because I think it harkens back to the good ole days of muscle cars where everything wasn't anodized black (not that black is bad...just wanted to show respect to the old designs).

The front of the car has a Clearbra film on it to protect from chips. It's virtually invisible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front High.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	196088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Low.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	196089  

Name:	Rear High.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1,001.0 KB
ID:	196090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Low.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	980.5 KB
ID:	196091  

Old 01-22-2016, 09:47 PM   #197
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Looks pretty awesome. How about the interior and underhood pics?

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:06 PM   #198
Registered Member
Regular

Interior

Again...the pics were done for me as a favor so I'm really happy to have them and grateful that the guys at Shelby took them for me. But, I'll have some that show things better in a couple of weeks. There are a lot of important items on this car that aren't shown well or at all in these pictures.

The front seats are the leather/cashmere 50th Anniversary seats that came in the car which I wanted to keep (you can see the mustang and it says 50th Anniversary on the seat back...little tough to see with the pics). Shelby added a nice touch by embroidering the Supersnake logo on the headrests.

The rollbar has pretty much rendered the back seat useless. My wife and my neighbor's wife are going to have to squeeze back there for the ride from Shelby HQ to the track on February 13th though. Good think they are little! You can see the 5 point harness attached to the rollbar behind the driver's seat. For obvious reasons I hope I never have to test out how well that feature functions.

It's got the Ford Racing short throw shifter which I understand is really nice. Looking forward to testing that out on the track.

Gauge package on the dash. I think this is the item I like the least. Would have liked to see something a little less obtrusive and maybe wrapped in an aluminum or black anodized housing. It's functional though and easy to see.

With the 50th Anniversary models they weren't sure how they were going to mount the CSM badge versus the 50th Anniversary numbered badge. I asked them to put it next to the factory badge not on top of it with my car. Looks like they honored my request which makes me very happy I'll be buying Jeremy at Shelby a couple of beers for that when I meet him in person. I'm pretty sure he had to lobby the Shelby designer for me on that one.

Shelby sill plates even. This thing has got to have 50 locations where the Shelby name is placed. I'll have to ask everyone to be careful stepping in and out of the car I guess. Maybe I'll put some Clearbra material over them so they don't get all marked up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front Seats.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	795.1 KB
ID:	196094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Seat.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	869.7 KB
ID:	196095  

Name:	Shifter.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	618.5 KB
ID:	196096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Guages.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	963.5 KB
ID:	196097  

Name:	Headrest.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	851.7 KB
ID:	196098   Click image for larger version

Name:	CSM Dash.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	660.7 KB
ID:	196099  

Name:	Sill Plate.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	537.5 KB
ID:	196100  
Old 01-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #199
Registered Member
Regular

Under the Hood

Here is the Whipple SC. There is an auxiliary coolant tank mounted just above the radiator and a cold air intake. There are new injectors and a new fuel pump. As posted earlier, it uses a customized version of the Whipple tune. They put Shelby emblem valve covers on for looks I suppose as they didn't change any of the valvetrain. May have changed them out for reasons related to the SS (I can see hoses going from the valve cover to the SC on the passenger's side and one going from the valve cover towards the front of the engine on the driver's side.). I'll have to ask when I get to Vegas.

I may do some cleaning up of the engine compartment. It was a lot less busy with the factory arrangement (and the large plastic cover over the intake made it look much cleaner). Right now it looks like a 1980's smog motor with all the hoses everywhere. Not sure how much I'll be able to do to clean it up, but I'm sure I can get it looking better than it currently looks. I guess I would have hoped that Shelby would have put a little more time into thinking through the layout of the hoses and maybe adding a little color or some braided stainless hose sleeves. It'd match the outside better when you open the hood if it was more orderly. It's obviously got a honking SC on top of the motor, so it's going to be more crowded, but the look of it is not impressing me.

Not that it's real important but if you look closely, you will see a little bit of carbon fiber showing in one of the pics. They install a carbon fiber cover over the radiator bracket.

There are a lot of items not shown. The brakes are a Wilwood 6 piston package. The rear independent suspension has new components that allow for adjusting toe and camber. This was an option I chose to install since lowering the car can put some awkward angles on the independent rear suspension when corning or in other instances where the suspension is compressed more than a moderate amount. These components give more travel and allow better alignment of all four wheels throughout the entire range of suspension travel (and can be adjusted easily if one wants different settings at the drag strip, track, or regular driving). There is a Borla exhaust under the chassis as well.

I've got a lot of questions for them about the tune software. I also need to learn more about swapping out the rear brakes and rotors so I can put some wrinkle slicks on it this summer. Can't wait to see that look. I love what 1 Alibi 2's car looks like with the slicks on the back and skinny tires up front. Can't wait to see what kind of numbers I can get with this car at New England Dragway.

So, that's it for now until I get out to Vegas in a few weeks. I am real happy with how this looks in the pictures. I'm expecting it to look even that much more impressive in person. And I'm expecting to have a huge smile on my face all day track-day as I put it through its paces.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine Front.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	900.9 KB
ID:	196103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Side.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	567.5 KB
ID:	196104  

Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 PM   #200
Staff
Regular
Staff

That'll do pig... that'll do...

Dayum...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 PM   #201
Registered Member
Regular

I like it!

I also like how the air intake is a closed box design, goes to show you what Shelby thinks about cai...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
kona010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #202
Registered Member
Regular

Holy s******t. That car is absolutely stunning When do you get it back from Shelby?
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #203
Registered Member

Regular

Thanks for those pics! Great car man. I hear you on the engine compartment. Seems like they would have spent a bit more time in there.

oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:02 AM   #204
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Thanks for those pics! Great car man. I hear you on the engine compartment. Seems like they would have spent a bit more time in there.

It all looks good to me! Thank you for the pictures.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

WOOOOAH!!!!!!! I want to go get a bottle of Capt Morgan and celebrate just looking at the pics!!! If that thing was really mine, I'd probably blow up!!! Super nice, what a nice job they did. Congrats!
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #206
Registered Member
Regular

I can't have a car like this because I would never want to drive it in fear of some ******* messing it up. Then I'd feel like I wasted my money because I'd just be looking at it sit. Man I'd be so stressed driving that car. Other people would scare me. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #207
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like the wait was worth it, car looks good.
I don't envy you having to wait till 10 Feb. to get your hands on it though.
We expect a full report after you dive it @ the track !!

Old 01-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #208
Registered Member
Regular

I sent a friend the pic of my car. This is what he sent back...his new car. A 2016 Supercharged Z06. Looks like we've got a grudge match in the making....hahahaha. I see speeding tickets in my future.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Charlies car.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	196130  
Old 01-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #209
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
Holy s******t. That car is absolutely stunning When do you get it back from Shelby?
I'm in Vegas with my wife, neighbor and his wife Feb 10th - 14th. Wives get Valentine's day in Vegas. Least I can do for her letting me buy this, right?

It stays in Vegas until end of April. Then it gets shipped to me in May. Then the fun begins in earnest
Old 01-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #210
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post
Looks like the wait was worth it, car looks good.
I don't envy you having to wait till 10 Feb. to get your hands on it though.
We expect a full report after you dive it @ the track !!
Absolutely on the report. I'm expecting a lot out of the experience and the car, so I hope I don't end up disappointed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT