Supersnake a 50th Anniversary GT - Opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2015, 11:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Supersnake a 50th Anniversary GT - Opinions

I am planning on sending a newly purchased 2015 50th Anniversary GT to Shelby to have the Supersnake upgrade. I plan on having fun with the car so that is why I'm doing it...but am I better off leaving the 50th Anniversary GT alone and doing a Supersnake upgrade on a regular GT? Or am I overthinking that I may damage the long-term value of the 50th Anniversary car by having it made into a Supersnake? I realize the upgrade increases the value of the car (since the upgrade alone costs about $60k for the options I want), but will I be damaging the long-term value of a potential collector car. I could always pick up a stock GT and send it to Shelby American. BTW...I paid just under sticker ($44k) for a Kona blue one with 6 speed manual transmission.

I've got some buddies that are telling me I'm off my rocker to modify this anniversary car and I'll regret it in 15 years.

Looking forward to opinions before I ship it off to Nevada.
medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What are the total production numbers for the anniversary cars? Is it 1964?

I would think that the SS would trump any extra value that the anniversary edition would have over a regular GT.
There is only one "modern classic" that I can think of, that has actually increased in value. That is the Ford GT.
I personally wouldn't worry about the future value. It sounds like you are in a position to drop some coin into the car and you plan on thoroughly enjoying it! Life is short. That sounds like an excellent plan to me!

Let somebody, 50 years from now, worry about all of the "damage" that you caused by turning the car into a Super Snake.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What's making you want the Shelby upgrade? Just the name? Or the sake of owning one?

You can make the car more nasty with less $ on your own.
And blow the doors off a "Shelby" car

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2015, 12:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, 1964 (chosen due to the first year of production....actually as I'm sure you know, 1964 1/2 was the first year but that 1/2 car coming out of the plant would probably handle poorly ) My car is #1227 so nothing too special about that. Bill Ford got #1 and Barret/Jackson auctioned #1964 off for $170k (charity auction so someone was willing to puke up their wallet for a good cause) so after those two were gone who cares what number it is right?

Man...a GT...wish I could afford one of those! I am fortunate in that I can afford the SS upgrade and have a wife that is understanding (looove her!).

I was looking at the SS upgrade I guess in part to own a "Shelby", and then in part due to the fact that I don't have the time to do the upgrades myself. Sending it to them and then getting it back all done is real attractive with the crazy hours I have running a business. I could always tinker with things after that. At least the SC, exhaust, suspension, brakes, etc would be done. Realize I'm paying for it, but the convenience factor right now is worth it to me.

I think I'll be over the stated 750hp for the SS since the car already has some mods from the factory as it is rated now at 450hp. After driving it, it is certainly more powerful than a stock GT. I'm talking with Gary Peterson at Shelby to determine what options to finally choose. I'm going to ask him if the end HP will be higher or if their mods simply bring it to 750hp because that's all the SC can get it up to regardless of the factory mods.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yes. And I think that a Super Snake should hold it's value better than a car built by a anonymous person.
Not sure as to how they arrive at their horsepower numbers. I assume that they tune the car to 750 hp. They will be able to answer all of your questions regarding that.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
you don't necessarily have to do the work on the car yourself, there are a number of reputable shops that will get you to the same horsepower goal for considerably less then 60k. but i guess if you are that worried about resale value...spend more money too get the shelby name i suppose.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
I would tend to think that in a few years, a genuine 50th car that is also genuine Shelby would be a rare and sought after combination. So long as you have fun with it but obviously present it as a meticulously maintained and cared for car.
Years from now there will still be many many regular 50ths out there but very few Shelby American 50ths. To the right guy looking for just that, it will be priceless.
And that's the guy you want to sell it to.
Yours will be upgraded at near birth to the Shelby where as years from now a man could find a 50th after who knows how many miles and how it was driven and then upgrade it but that wouldn't bring the same slam dunk as one of a handful of near birth 50ths receiving the upgrade.
I know that was a stupid long winded opinion but I hope it made sense.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Supersnake a 50th Anniversary GT - Opinions

#1. Resale value in the short run is so lopsided negative your argument for value this and that is negated

#2. By the time you see a reversal in depreciation the car would be long dead by the sound of what you want to do with the car (have fun, etc). Or you and I would be long dead lol. Either way, you want a classic buy a classic. Don't buy a 2015 car and want to hold on to it for just high hopes of it becoming a classic.

The cost of maintenance, storage, licenses and permits and registrations will kill off any appreciation you will earn. Inflation is not appreciation so 30 years in the future if it does become a classic and is valued at $100,000 just remember to calculate it for present day value to see just how much value it retained.

You want investments buy some stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If I could buy a 50th and add the Snake mods I would do it and drive the hell out of the car. Mustangs are made to be driven!
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Don't drop $60k on a SS.

Save $50k+-....

"Only" spend about $11k these kits installed:
$6,800 - FRPP Supercharger 627hp kit
$1,300- FRPP Handling kit
<$2,900 - Installation of both (should be less than this)
TOTAL = $11,000

You get a 3yr/36k warranty with the FRPP kit. And you car will hold more resale value having "Ford" parts installed by an Authorized installer and having the Ford Racing warranty on the supercharger/engine.

Then you can have some fun & hold on to your 50th Anniversary for a year or 2, until you can find a 2016-2017 GT350 or GT500 easily and trade it in on that. (You'll have $50k left over from not getting the SS to spend here.)

You may also want to get some good wheels & tires and just store your current wheels/tires for when you're ready to sell the car.
Ex: $2,600 - http://www.americanmuscle.com/charco...invo-stag.html
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Lot of comments...........if you've got the money and want a SS I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Personally I think Shelby would do an excellent job....and they do have a world wide reputation of doing quality work. I can't say what the car will be worth short term or long term.............and would think having Shelby turn it into a SS early in its life will make the car worth a lot more than any regular shop could...........beyond a doubt........and having a 50th Anniversary SS will be quite rare indeed.
I totally see where you are coming from not really wanting to do it yourself.....all
of my life I've built my own hot rods, drag cars, road race cars............and yes it was fun and at the same time very time consuming......there are other things more important than spending tons of hours working to make a car the way you want it......it's all about priority......family and business have always come before cars.......most of the time. Taking your car to Shelby....then picking it up again already done/tested/tuned.....and just getting in and turning the key...............to me it just doesn't get any better than that.......IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Do you have the limited edition 50th anniversary (available only in Wimbledon White and Kona Blue)? Or do you have a GT with the 50th anniversary appearance package available on any Mustang? The limited edition only come in the 2 colors, and those colors are not available on any other 2015 Mustangs - they are the only models that are part of the 1,964 limited editions.

If you have a GT with the 50th appearance package, but not the limited edition, then mod away. But if you have the limited edition, then you likely paid "additional dealer markup" for the car and would hurt the future collectibility of it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

His car is #1227 of 1964.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:52 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
In my previous post I commented that more than likely a 2015 Anniversary edition that is also a Shelby car would be a very small number of them existing at some point. There are only 1964 of them to begin with and then how many of those would people actually Send to Shelby.
But with that in mind I also just don't see a future with people going crazy to own a real S550 anniversary. There just honestly isn't anything spectacular or mind blowing about it. It's not revolutionary, radical or a best of the best only the rich and famous have them. The only thing it really has as a claim to fame is that there will only be 1964 built. And the Mustang model is 50 years old.
What about the 35th edition? Or the 45th? I have never seen any trend for those to be snatched up and safely packed away in a barn. I just don't see the S550 turning into one of those must have cars for collectors with fat wallets. It's another anniversary edition Mustang but you can only have two colors and there aren't a crap ton of them built but they are out there and seen occasionally enough that it's not a Kodak moment. Soon the newness of the design change will lose its wonder. We will look upon the 13 and 14 style as so outdated and not worth a look and then it's time for the all new amazing 55th anniversary Mustang!
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for all the comments.

From what I've read it doesn't appear that I'll hurt the value of the car as it's real uncertain what the value is. I bought it because it has 435hp and I paid below MSRP and it happens to be an anniversary car (figured I couldn't go wrong with that last one).

I really do want to own a "Shelby" so I'm going to have it made into an SS. It will also save me all those nights modifying the car myself. I'm feeling pretty good with the comments that it is going to hold its value so if I wanted to trade it for a GT350 or a GT500 (if/when they do another) than I could. However, I can see myself owning a 750HP Supersnake for a real long time....50th anniversary or not.

One of the replies mentions buying some stocks. Too funny. I hear you loud and clear as I own an investment firm. I do agree that this car will probably never get the rate of return of a well diversified portfolio of stocks and bonds. However, my goal is to get it to "maintain"it's value vis a vi inflation in case I want to use it for a future trade. Sounds like it will.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Whatever you do please keep us posted and send pictures if an when they become available.
I'm sure you won't go wrong with over 700hp under the hood and the Shelby name on the outside of the car...........good luck.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwards View Post
I am planning on sending a newly purchased 2015 50th Anniversary GT to Shelby to have the Supersnake upgrade. I plan on having fun with the car so that is why I'm doing it...but am I better off leaving the 50th Anniversary GT alone and doing a Supersnake upgrade on a regular GT? Or am I overthinking that I may damage the long-term value of the 50th Anniversary car by having it made into a Supersnake? I realize the upgrade increases the value of the car (since the upgrade alone costs about $60k for the options I want), but will I be damaging the long-term value of a potential collector car. I could always pick up a stock GT and send it to Shelby American. BTW...I paid just under sticker ($44k) for a Kona blue one with 6 speed manual transmission.

I've got some buddies that are telling me I'm off my rocker to modify this anniversary car and I'll regret it in 15 years.

Looking forward to opinions before I ship it off to Nevada.
The car after the upgrades won't loose it's value as fast as a stock GT.
As previous Super Snakes were based on GT500's, it's hard to tell what an SS GT's resale will be.
Roush, which also upgrades GT based Mustangs, doesn't hold it's resale value that well.
The upgrade packages listed hp is @ the crank, unless otherwise noted.
Based on your posts, you would be the only kid on the block with a $ 104,000.00 GT !!

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I really appreciate all the feedback. There is a nice, wide range of thoughts.

Yup, you figured the numbers right (actually probably $106k after the options I choose). It is a $@*Tload of money, but I will be rolling unique around town that's for sure.

Although Shelby won't give me the actual numbers....I'll be one of I think about 30 50th Anniversary Shelby SS's on the block They indicated to me that they have some in process and some already completed and shipped back to the owners, but won't give the actual number to me...maybe I'll find out after mine is done.

Roush is Roush...Shelby is Shelby. Roush ain't Shelby. Although they are all probably overpriced...Shelby is Shelby.

I'll be just as fast and as nice as a GT500 SS but will have cost me about $13,000 less for the car (I realize I'll have a smaller c.i. engine). I can't see how it can depreciate too much. GT500's and 350's will continue to be made into the future. Any of them can be upgraded to SS. No more 50th Anniversary cars will be made and there are going to be somewhere in the vicinity of only 30 of them upgraded to SS. That's going to be pretty rare over time.

In the meantime I'm going to have to learn how to control 750HP (realizing it's a little less at the wheels....but that is still over 300HP more than anything else I've ever driven!).

This is what it should eventually look like....but I'll be sure to put up pics of the real car when it is done. I plan on keeping the 50th anniversary interior but am going to have a rollbar and 5pt harnesses installed.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

please post pics when done!
14GRAYGTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ooopsss...let's try that again. User error. Here is the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015SS.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	188907  
Old 08-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Have to say that is a stunning car and I personally love the blue color.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
#1. Resale value in the short run is so lopsided negative your argument for value this and that is negated

#2. By the time you see a reversal in depreciation the car would be long dead by the sound of what you want to do with the car (have fun, etc). Or you and I would be long dead lol. Either way, you want a classic buy a classic. Don't buy a 2015 car and want to hold on to it for just high hopes of it becoming a classic.

The cost of maintenance, storage, licenses and permits and registrations will kill off any appreciation you will earn. Inflation is not appreciation so 30 years in the future if it does become a classic and is valued at $100,000 just remember to calculate it for present day value to see just how much value it retained.

You want investments buy some stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
^+1 What he said!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Although Shelby won't give me the actual numbers....I'll be one of I think about 30 50th Anniversary Shelby SS's on the block They indicated to me that they have some in process and some already completed and shipped back to the owners, but won't give the actual number to me...maybe I'll find out after mine is done.
I post on a lot of sites, haven't seen ( 1 ) owner post any pics of a 2015 Super Snake....................& you know if they had one they would !!
Looking forward to your build.
Did SA say how long it would take, once they have your car ??
Are you going to " buy back " your take-off parts ?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Screw that. Just a GT with Ford racing parts and a Shelby tune. I'd get a new corvette before I paid that much for a mustang GT.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
Screw that. Just a GT with Ford racing parts and a Shelby tune. I'd get a new corvette before I paid that much for a mustang GT.

A new C7Z with the Z07 package
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
A new C7Z with the Z07 package
Yeah. I'm not a Chevy fan but I saw one and I must say that's a damn fine car.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

They haven't given me a time period yet. I'm still finishing paperwork. They won't let me buy back the parts at this point of discussions. They say that the parts help "pay for the upgrades". So, they must either reuse them or resell them. This vehicle has 435hp so I'm sure there is something special with the intake, computer, etc. Additionally, it has upgraded suspension and brake parts. I would think these would be worth having in the garage underwraps for sale years down the road to other 50th owners that eventually want original parts. They did say any "50th" anniversary parts will be returned to me with no charge. I'm not sure what that means yet and I'm still peppering them with questions. Personally I'd like to have every part back...I'm not sure where this "negotiation"for parts is going to end up.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They haven't given me a time period yet. I'm still finishing paperwork. They won't let me buy back the parts at this point of discussions. They say that the parts help "pay for the upgrades". So, they must either reuse them or resell them. This vehicle has 435hp so I'm sure there is something special with the intake, computer, etc. Additionally, it has upgraded suspension and brake parts. I would think these would be worth having in the garage underwraps for sale years down the road to other 50th owners that eventually want original parts. They did say any "50th" anniversary parts will be returned to me with no charge. I'm not sure what that means yet and I'm still peppering them with questions. Personally I'd like to have every part back...I'm not sure where this "negotiation"for parts is going to end up.
Other SS owners, 2010 thru 2014, have been able to buy back their parts, not sure what the cost is.
The only reason for having these parts is if you wanted to return the car back to stock.
SA sells the parts, & it has nothing to do with the cost of their upgrade package.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Most of the parts that are "take-offs" are sold on their on-line store. I bought a complete set of 2014 GT500 wheels and tires from them with only 2000 miles. I actually went to SA to pick them up and got a full tour of the facility.........their shop had a lot of Mustangs in various stages of work........fantastic place and really nice people!
Old 08-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
They are making a killing. Charge customer 60k then sell all there stock stuff for 5k lol.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
They are making a killing. Charge customer 60k then sell all there stock stuff for 5k lol.
Wow. They are really ripping people. Didn't know they kept the other stuff. That **** is yours because it came on the car.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:56 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

OP, FYI, all 2015 Mustang GT's have 435 hp. Nothing special about the 50th anniversary editions except badges, a little bit of chrome and cashmere trim, only available in 2 colors and limited to 1964 units.

Its basically the same thing as a GT coupe + performance package + 50th edition appearance package.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:11 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

You are correct on the HP figures. I was wrong in that I was under the impression the standard GT was just over 325hp, but that is a rating at a lower rpm.

Yes, it is expensive to put "Shelby" on your car. And they certainly are making a profit. But, I wouldn't say they are ripping people off. Someone like me fully understands what I'm paying for and what it would cost if I wanted to do it myself in my garage. However, it still wouldn't be a true Shelby even if I duplicated it exactly. So, one does pay for the brand name. I understand that having a branded car isn't for everyone. That's ok. But, I wouldn't say that Shelby is ripping off it's customers. That indicates the buyer doesn't understand what they are paying and what they are getting.

The issue with the parts continues. I don't feel that they are being jerks about this. After a full explanation I feel that I better understand the issues. So, I am removing a few things before shipping the car to Shelby. Yes, they do resell the parts (some get resold directly by them, some to an intermediate wholesaler, some simply get trashed (suspension springs)). But, I now understand that it's a combination of issues ranging from tracking all the take-off parts with so many cars in the shop (just the volume of parts), storage of the parts while the specific car is being modified, and then the fact that they do make a little on the parts by selling them. Additionally, the transport company has told me that they will charge me to bring the parts back as it takes up room in their trailer. So I am removing things before the car ships...like the hood, the wheels, the badging, the front grill, the rear cover with the 50th anniversary emblem, etc. Things I can't remove obviously are items like the upgraded brakes and suspension as they don't want a car that isn't running, isn't driveable, and has warning lights lit up.

Car is bought...transporter has been contacted and deposit is with Shelby. So the story begins in earnest now. Pic - salesperson (Steve) and dealership owner (Sue) on the left. Me, my wife and my daughter on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	189274  
Old 08-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

You will love this car when it's done. If I could have afforded it, I would have had mine Shelbyed.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Looking forward to your build, when does the car ship ?
Found this little tid-bit in the grey 2015 SS description box.
......." *NOTE: Total price of the package includes only Shelby parts and labor. "

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT