Jegs Cat-Delete / Off Road Pipes Installed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Jegs Cat-Delete / Off Road Pipes Installed

I recently purchased a set of cat-delete / off-road pipes from Jegs, and finally had a chance to put them on this weekend:

INSTALL:
The install was pretty straight forward, and I did it on jack stands in my garage. A lift would have made it much easier, for obvious reasons. Just as I was expecting from doing some reading before attempting the install myself, the header flange bolts required some serious torque to break loose. I shot them with PB Blaster and let it sit for about an hour first.

For those who will be attempting a similar install, you will need at least 30" of extension, a flexible joint, a 15mm deep well socket, and a breaker bar (I used a 25" beast). This is mainly for the infamous passenger side header bolt that must be accessed from the top of the engine bay. For the driver's side, I used the same equipment minus the flexible joint and I could get straight on it.

The Jegs pipes come with new gaskets, bolts, nuts, and lock washers. The nuts and lock washers are junk and were easily deformed under moderate torque when tightening them down, so I swapped them out with the stock nuts, which worked fine. Doing this required my wife helping me tighten down the two bolts that had to be accessed from the top of the engine, so a helper on hand is wise.

SOUND:
Now for the good part. I have the GT500 axle-back, and really liked how it sounded before, but now I LOVE it! It sounds very much the same as it did before, only with more rasp and MUCH louder. You will be "the guy with the loud car" to your neighbors now. It is LOUD - but sounds fantastic! The exhaust from the interior of the car sounds different, and at first I thought I had a small exhaust leak. I can definitely hear a whooshing/ticking noise under moderate acceleration. After readjusting, rechecking, and doing some more research, I've concluded that it's normal when removing the cats and/or adding aftermarket headers and the cats are no longer muting engine sounds as before. Seems that you can hear the exhaust pulses/valve train noises better through the off road pipes. Rolling the windows down takes care of that!

SMELL:
There is only a slight increase in exhaust smell - it smells like sport bike exhaust to me now. I actually like the smell - it smells like "performance".

I made a before and after video of my setup, however it sounds so completely different than in person, I refuse to post it. I don't want people to get the wrong idea of how it sounds....sorry.

I installed a JLT intake at the same time, and I can actually hear the "sucking" sound from the intake, which is fairly quiet, but sounds cool to me.

I uploaded my revised Bama tune for the intake/off road pipes and the car is a beast. I definitely feel an increase in performance with the cats gone and CAI - the car is a blast to drive and now has some serious snarl!

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Yeah, they're pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Probably been covered in other threads but anyone have roush AB with cat delete? I just switched to a magnaflow catted X with the roush AB, but may go cat delete.
14GRAYGTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Just do a search on Youtube for Roush with off-road X-pipe, which is the same as any X-pipe with cat-deletes. I've seen plenty of videos posted with that setup.

UPDATE:
I removed my stock H-pipe and added a Pypes X-pipe. I put a bead of copper RTV on the inside of the ball flange of the X-pipe where it overlaps with the flange on the off road pipes. The Pypes X-pipe actually fit better to the O/R pipes than the stock H did. The fitment was perfect, and I also discovered that I did indeed have a small exhaust leak before, because now I don't get any ticking/leaks at all with the Pypes. It also fit perfectly to the stock over axle pipe clamps.

The X-pipe definitely turned down the volume over the stock H, but I like the sound even more now than before. It's a much smoother, more refined sound now, which I prefer. It's still loud, but not as loud as with the H, which I know my neighbors will appreciate. It's also quieter while cruising. Very happy with the quality and fitment of the Pypes X.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14GRAYGTCS View Post
Probably been covered in other threads but anyone have roush AB with cat delete? I just switched to a magnaflow catted X with the roush AB, but may go cat delete.

Ill advised.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14GRAYGTCS View Post
I just installed my Pypes off road x yesterday with Roush AB's. Absolutely in love with the sound! If you are on the fence, go for it! The car sounds down right nasty.

Mods 5% Tint All Around, 40% Tinted Windshield| Roush Axleback's| 4in Quad Exhaust| Eibach Sportlines| 20in Charcoal AMR's| BMR Panhard Bar| GT500 Diffuser| Bama Tune| X Pipe| GT500 Spoiler|BMR LCA's| JLT CAI|
50OHHHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Im debating on removing cats mainly because of the smell. Some say its pretty bad but in your experience it hasn't changed much. I guess ill just have to do it and find out.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by visback View Post
Im debating on removing cats mainly because of the smell. Some say its pretty bad but in your experience it hasn't changed much. I guess ill just have to do it and find out.
It does take some time to adjust to the smell. But you get used to it quickly. I had a 6.0l G8 before my mustang and it was a lot worse than the 5.0

Mods 5% Tint All Around, 40% Tinted Windshield| Roush Axleback's| 4in Quad Exhaust| Eibach Sportlines| 20in Charcoal AMR's| BMR Panhard Bar| GT500 Diffuser| Bama Tune| X Pipe| GT500 Spoiler|BMR LCA's| JLT CAI|
50OHHHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
It's mostly for the cops in my area. I live in California so emmisions are strictly enforced. Im just worried a cop might smell it and pull me over. It's a fat fine for cat deletes here.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT