2014 GT Suspension Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
2014 GT Suspension Help

I am fairly new to the mods and added a GT500 axlebacks to my 2014 CS/GT plus a few appearance parts. I'm now looking at the suspension and keep finding conflicting information. Some of that is due to differences in needs. I'm middle aged and want better handling without the jarring. I want to lower around an inch to keep from buying caster/camber plates.

I'm looking at Steeda Sport springs or SR Performance. I can't tell if the Steeda's are progressive or not. The pictures differ on AM vs Steeda websites for the same product. The Ford Racing P Springs look interesting but looks like I need to swap out shock mounts that may or may not go with Koni's. I also want to get Koni Yellows in case the ride is too harsh on the Oranges.

What do you recommend between the springs for 1-1.5" lower and being able to align without camber plates? Are any of the improved strut mounts really needed or just marginally better? The GT500 mounts look interesting for the price but I don't know if that puts me into 2005-10 parts from here on. I also read that they can be installed reversed to add camber if that's an issue. I will add a panhard bar also.

I'm trying to keep costs low so that I can work on a few other areas.
Thanks, I enjoy and appreciate the advice I've seen.
ed_ph413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
All of the springs for a factory style strut are progressive. Some much more so than others. I can tell you from Dyno testing several sets of Koni's, that the Orange is similar in damping to the Yellow when it is set to full soft. That said, the Yellows do vary a bit as to what the full soft is, the rebound on some will be softer than others, but compression is usually pretty close, and the adjuster has almost no crosstalk from rebound into compression. Basically, only buy the yellow if you think that you may want to stiffen the rebound any further (I run mine on the street at full soft, then go up when I race).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Generally speaking, when you put on lowering springs, we strongly recommend a panhard bar & HD Mounts. The OEM mounts don't always pair well with the aftermarket springs.

You can read about our springs here: All Lowering Springs Are NOT Created Equal | Steeda Blog

The Steeda springs are progressive.

PM Sent.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_ph413 View Post
I am fairly new to the mods and added a GT500 axlebacks to my 2014 CS/GT plus a few appearance parts. I'm now looking at the suspension and keep finding conflicting information. Some of that is due to differences in needs. I'm middle aged and want better handling without the jarring. I want to lower around an inch to keep from buying caster/camber plates.

I'm looking at Steeda Sport springs or SR Performance. I can't tell if the Steeda's are progressive or not. The pictures differ on AM vs Steeda websites for the same product. The Ford Racing P Springs look interesting but looks like I need to swap out shock mounts that may or may not go with Koni's. I also want to get Koni Yellows in case the ride is too harsh on the Oranges.

What do you recommend between the springs for 1-1.5" lower and being able to align without camber plates? Are any of the improved strut mounts really needed or just marginally better? The GT500 mounts look interesting for the price but I don't know if that puts me into 2005-10 parts from here on. I also read that they can be installed reversed to add camber if that's an issue. I will add a panhard bar also.

I'm trying to keep costs low so that I can work on a few other areas.
Thanks, I enjoy and appreciate the advice I've seen.
You can't change one area and not have another area affected. Adding a handling package like: Ford Racing Assembled Handling Pack - Coupe (05-14 GT), 1" in the front and back but it will ride a little rougher. You won't need Camber Plates with this package.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I think there is a lot of misinformation about how and why to use caster/camber plates and for a drop of only 1" to 1.5" are most likely not needed.
What jande063 has shared some good information.....if you are planning to lower the car change the struts and shocks with adjustable ones as everyone's taste in what is too firm and what is too soft varies from night to day.
What was mentioned about changing strut mounts should also be done as Ford recognizes these as one time use only......with that said when I lowered my TrakPak with Eibach Sportlines I didn't change the struts or mounts. The issue I have had for the past 6000 miles is that the front end makes creaking/popping noises because the front strut mounts should have been changed...and the ride is slightly stiffer than it was stock. The Sportlines lowered the car about 1.5" in the front and 2" in the rear which I like....not everyone does.
Also, when you lower the car get an adjustable pan hard bar as you will need to center the rear end after lowering.....this is pretty easy to accomplish and even if you are a novice working on cars it is easy to do.
I am very pleased with my current setup although I will be changing the
struts/strut mounts/shocks in the near future and may actually go with coil overs just so I can change the ride height to accommodate a little larger tires.
As for the caster/camber plates.....I have helped lower 5 late model Mustangs including my own and none of the cars....even mine....have need them. I am at the top end of factory spec on camber and at the lower end factory spec for caster..............and the tires show no sign of wear after 6000 miles.
One last issue, please do not let anyone talk you into using camber adjustable bolts........they are weaker than factory and not worth taking the chance they could fail.....as I said earlier they are really not needed with mild drop like you are talking about.
Good luck and let us know how we can help.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #6

Region: Maryland
Great Advice All

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I will go with Steeda Sport Springs and the Koni Sports. The Steeda strut mounts also adjust some camber so I should be able to avoid true C/C plates and still get whatever adjustment I need. I will be getting a panhard bar. Much appreciated!
ed_ph413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies. I think I will go with Steeda Sport Springs and the Koni Sports. The Steeda strut mounts also adjust some camber so I should be able to avoid true C/C plates and still get whatever adjustment I need. I will be getting a panhard bar. Much appreciated!
You are making a great choice ... if you would like, I can have a sales professional contact you & help provide order support.

You can email me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:30 AM   #8
Registered Member

Region: California
I have Roush Springs with Koni Orange. Much better handling without teeth rattling harshness. Love the combination.

The Roush Springs I bought were supposed to drop the car only 1/2 inch but after they settled, it looks more like an inch so it affected the camber and it could not be adjusted to spec, so said my service writer. Camber bolts were put in to put the wheels perfectly straight up and down.
47297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14BlackGT View Post
The Roush Springs I bought were supposed to drop the car only 1/2 inch but after they settled, it looks more like an inch so it affected the camber and it could not be adjusted to spec, so said my service writer. Camber bolts were put in to put the wheels perfectly straight up and down.

If you were only dropped 1", the little bit of camber is actually better for handling.

Now if you do a ton of highway miles & practically no aggressive turns then you want your wheels straight up & down. For me I'm almost all city, with some fun fast turns, etc.. so I like the LITTLE bit of camber provided when I dropped my car 1".

Camber bolts long term are a liability.... potential failure.

OP, personally, I think the Ford Handling package is a great thing to get.
1. Its engineered by Ford so it all works well together and has pretty much everything you need. (like even all new bolts, which most kits don't provide)
2. In my experience, the resale value is a little better on car with all "Ford" (even Ford Racing) parts vs. misc. other brand parts.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT