Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What transmission fluid to use mt-82

44K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  Coosawjack 
#1 ·
I know there's 100,000 threads on fluids to use in the mt-82's but I'm a little lost. I'm on my second one that was covered under warranty in late 2013 at around 30,000 miles. It's a 2014 trans and had no issues until now. From second to third it clunks and goes into third rough. Also under hard acceleration in 3rd the shift knob vibrates a little and you can hear the gears meshing. What fluid should I use? I don't want to make more problems, I had a bad experience with with my tremec t5 I my 94 with synchro not playing nice with new tranny fluid.

#28 ·
Just finished filling my tranny with Amsoil synthetic 75-90 manual and transaxle fluid. The stuff that was in there looked like kool-aid, very thin n watery. Put 3 quarts in, minus the left over in the fluid filler and the stuff that spilled. Bent a zip tie at 90 and there's fluid in there. When I unscrewed the filler plug nothing came out. Always under the impression that it should weep out of the filler hole. The shifting feels more positive, jmo.

#29 ·
5.0 fill is just under the fill hole. The fluid in there is good quality (Ford QS). You might find rougher shifting on colder temps with anything thicker. Thicker doesn't mean better.

#31 ·
If your going with the MTG 75/90 it does take a bit of effort to shift when cold. I actually had to go from 1st to 3rd and not force it into 2nd. When warmed up the shifting is fine. I may go with the 5w30 Synchromesh stuff.

#32 ·
A note from a licensed Amsoil dealer, FYI.

I just checked the AMSOIL website, and they no longer recommend any of their lubricants for your transmission (but that doesn't mean that one or more of them won't work well). That is because Ford kept changing the specification from year-to-year, and even model-to-model within years. Ford now recommends this fluid: Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft P/N XT-11-QDC or equivalent meeting Ford spec. WSS-M2C200-D2. For total fluid change add 27 mL of XL-18, MT-82 Transmission Additive. As an AMSOIL licensed Dealer, I can't recommend something not backed by AMSOIL Corporate.

#39 ·
I would be wary of any fluids with super slick additives. They make things buttery smooth in the interim but may be detrimental to your tranny over the long haul.

Tremec engineers have stated that a certain amount of friction is required or failure of the syncros can occur.

Dunno if this applies to the Getrag, but keep this in mind...

#43 ·
I changed to BG SyncroShift II and cannot see any real world difference from the Ford fluids.......not gonna change it back for the sake of changing!!:nonono:

BTW....I have 21K miles on mine now and it shifts GREAT......no complaints with the MGW shifter!!:thumb::thumb:

#44 · (Edited)
Today I just installed an Energy Suspension transmission bushing and drained the ford DCT with additive XL-18. Refilled with Redline DCTF. I've tried the OEM fill of the early ford fluid when it was a new '11, then BG syncromesh2, Redline MTL, then my dealer did for me the TSB for the ford DCT with XL18. The DCT w/xl-18 was the best for me, up until today, there was always that issue with 1/2 shift and a nibble when cold 2/3 with every fluid I tried. BUT, With the poly ES bushing and Redline DCTF, I am pleased to report my shifting issues are much improved, maybe next to perfect. Before the car was even warmed up the 1/2 change felt great on the very first shift out of my driveway. 2/3 feels perfect as well. I only had time to run the thing around the block, 4 miles, BUT, it shifts Great.! This is with a Barton 2 Post bracket and a Hurst Comp Plus... 36k miles 2011 Brembo... A big plus to this new DCTF is Getrag MT-82 spec'd Ford M2C-936-A approval.

#45 ·
I drained the BG SYNCRO SHIFT II and put in the new Red Line DCTF and have to agree with "ddtmoto"......so far it's the best I've tried in my MT82......no nibbles and very smoooooth shifting but it ain't been very cool here yet.......that's the ultimate test!!:thumb::thumb:

Stay Tuned!!:whistling:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.