Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What transmission fluid to use mt-82

44K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  Coosawjack 
#1 ·
I know there's 100,000 threads on fluids to use in the mt-82's but I'm a little lost. I'm on my second one that was covered under warranty in late 2013 at around 30,000 miles. It's a 2014 trans and had no issues until now. From second to third it clunks and goes into third rough. Also under hard acceleration in 3rd the shift knob vibrates a little and you can hear the gears meshing. What fluid should I use? I don't want to make more problems, I had a bad experience with with my tremec t5 I my 94 with synchro not playing nice with new tranny fluid.

#5 ·
Go with amsoil MTF synchromesh fluid, easily the best out there! Its really thin, and will help you with notchiness Recommend by mt-82 wizard Ben Calimer. If you're concerned about summer heat, you can switch to MTG and keep MTF for winters

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#8 ·
I'm using MTG and it's great. It doesn't get too cold here though.

#12 ·
Motorcraft DCT with motorcraft XL-18 additive... Fine when it's warm out, not perfect 1-2 change when cold, or even cool out until gearbox is warmed. I may try AMsoil for my next change. I have tried BG and Redline so. The Ford stuff is the best in my '11, so far.

#15 ·
The Ford tech that did my tranny knows alot about the newer coyotes and I'm pretty sure he filled it with that revised dsg fluid with the additive. But oncr the car gets hot its almost like it thins out to nothing. And in the winter this fluid is great. It can be 0 outside and she slips in to second like it's 100 out

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#27 ·
I too tried a bunch but, if your trans is making noises, no fluid change is going to help, really. It can ease the cold weather crunching and smooth shifting but that about it.

Best I found was Redline MTL.

#33 · (Edited)
I don't want to derail this thread, but are any of you guys with the chunky/crunchy shifts using a shifter bracket?

I have an MT-82 and used to get grabs/nibbles/crunches going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

I tried the Barton 2 Piece shifter bracket and it helped, but was still there.

I tried the BlowfishRacing Shifter Bracket and it's 97% percent gone. (still notchy when cold till the fluid warms up)

Still using stock tranny fluid. I think I'm at around 22-26k miles now. (2014)

I too tried a bunch but, if your trans is making noises, no fluid change is going to help, really. It can ease the cold weather crunching and smooth shifting but that about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.