Eww that smell. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Eww that smell.

My AC has a nasty smell for the the first 10 or 20 seconds when I
first turn it on. Smoke free car, and I went ahead and changed out
the cabin air filter. Seems a little better but not gone. The filter was
fairly dirty but didnt smell bad itself. What else can I do?
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
was the slot where it goes clean? there are drain plugs at the bottom that can get clogged. Your local parts monger will sell disinfectant (or try Lysol) for the vent system.

side note: My Tacoma when the mice die it's on top the cabin filter...in my wife's CRV I've never found them so it'll smell for 3-4 months. We look like dogs with our heads out the window when that happens.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
my 14 does same thing.. where is cabin filter located
dziba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The cabin filter is under the plastic at the base of the windshield. Look up replacement videos online, it's the same since 05.

It isn't the filter usually. It's mold growth in the evaporator or ductwork from infrequent usage. disinfectant sometimes works.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziba191 View Post
my 14 does same thing.. where is cabin filter located
5 minute job.

S197 Mustang Cabin Filter Install – 05-14
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ya kinda has a cheese smell at first in mine after about 20 seconds it goes away

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Have the same problem in my v6 every once in a while. It's weird I can get in the car 4 or 5 times in a day and one of them will smell weird when I turn it on and the rest are fine.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
was the slot where it goes clean? there are drain plugs at the bottom that can get clogged. Your local parts monger will sell disinfectant (or try Lysol) for the vent system.

side note: My Tacoma when the mice die it's on top the cabin filter...in my wife's CRV I've never found them so it'll smell for 3-4 months. We look like dogs with our heads out the window when that happens.
Im going to try cleaning out the holes but its hard to get your head over there to look in, may have to use a mirror to see down in there or put a shop vac hose down in there to suck out any trash.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie View Post
Im going to try cleaning out the holes but its hard to get your head over there to look in, may have to use a mirror to see down in there or put a shop vac hose down in there to suck out any trash.
Take a teaspoon or two of vinegar, and mix with water. Pour it into this housing to help dissolve any crud that may be clogging the holes.
You may also need to perform the disinfect procedure that 5LHO talks about. Either a dealer, A/C shop, or other automotive repair shops can do this. It's common during summer usage that moisture accumulates in the ductwork, and then builds up as mold, hence the stink you are smelling.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Depending on where the mould is, sometimes you can get rid of the smell by running the ac at full heat for 20-30 minutes.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I recall it was less of a problem in some of our cars in the past if we used outside air most of the time - don't recirculate and you should have less moisture to cause mold and mildew. It's not just a Mustang thing.

I ride with my windows down 95% of time, and glass roof without the screen, & the A/C off. I haven't had even a small bit of smell... except from the tires

Piloting a '13 GT with track, frpp handling, glass, mgw, bmr and sct
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo1 View Post
I recall it was less of a problem in some of our cars in the past if we used outside air most of the time - don't recirculate and you should have less moisture to cause mold and mildew. It's not just a Mustang thing.

I ride with my windows down 95% of time, and glass roof without the screen, & the A/C off. I haven't had even a small bit of smell... except from the tires

Piloting a '13 GT with track, frpp handling, glass, mgw, bmr and sct
Not sure what the weathers like in NC but in AZ, not a chance am I riding with my windows down in the middle of the day. 110 plus everyday. Nighttime I can handle it when the sun isn't shining. Good for you for rocking no ac, when you do finally turn it on your seals are probably going to be dry rotted from not running it.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
Supporter

After a cruise with my windows down (humidity on the Gulf Coast) and I don't run the AC to "filter" it out I use this to stuff to prevent any stink:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00
I am not 100% set on it yet but I think it works after I let the car sit in the heat for a day.
So far it seems to work.... I also use those $4 Febreze new car scent clips.

I am stinky after work... 8-12 hours of sweating!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Take a teaspoon or two of vinegar, and mix with water. Pour it into this housing to help dissolve any crud that may be clogging the holes.
You may also need to perform the disinfect procedure that 5LHO talks about. Either a dealer, A/C shop, or other automotive repair shops can do this. It's common during summer usage that moisture accumulates in the ductwork, and then builds up as mold, hence the stink you are smelling.

Bucko, do you pour it into and past where the air filter is or is there a tray just exterior of the filter where the holes are? I just don't want to have the vinegar solution suck into the cabin if that's not what you mean. Sounds like a good solution though to musty air and clogged drain. Going to try this tomorrow.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT